PDA

View Full Version : Clay Bar - Alternatives?

CC268
07-02-2015, 10:18 AM
So I see there are so many different new forms of clay bar. I have the DP Universal Clay kit and that is what I have been using, but I am wondering if these other alternatives are quicker and if so which do you think are the best and easiest to use?

trekkeruss
07-02-2015, 10:46 AM
The clay alternatives are definitely faster to use. They're larger, don't require kneading or flattening, no worries about dropping it on the ground ... just rinse and repeat. I don't think the brand matters; they're probably all good. There are different types though: towels, mitts, sponges, pads. I bought a towel but I probably should have gotten a mitt, because I usually decontaminate using a foam cannon to provide the lube.

CC268
07-02-2015, 10:58 AM
The nanoskin medium grade wash mitt seems like a good way to go? Could I use this with Meg's Gold Class Wash?

CC268
07-02-2015, 11:20 AM
Well I am definitely ordering a Nanoskin Mitt! I am thinking of going with the medium grade over the fine grade...what do you guys think?

conman1395
07-02-2015, 11:27 AM
Well I am definitely ordering a Nanoskin Mitt! I am thinking of going with the medium grade over the fine grade...what do you guys think?
If I had to choose one, I'd pick the fine grade. No point in causing extra marring.

CC268
07-02-2015, 12:20 PM
If I had to choose one, I'd pick the fine grade. No point in causing extra marring.

Really? Even if I am doing other cars that have never been clayed?

conman1395
07-02-2015, 12:23 PM
Yes. I've never even used the medium grade, even though we have it at work. After a round of IronX and sometimes TarX, fine is all I need. I have, however really enjoyed the Green towel, which I believe lies in between fine and medium.

So yeah, if I had to choose one, I'd pick fine.

If you wanna get the fine grade pads, that can allow you to do it by hand fairly quickly and then do it by machine if it's really bad, but I've been fine with the fine grade wash mitt.

CC268
07-02-2015, 12:25 PM
Interesting...I am out of Iron X right now so I won't be using Iron X on my next car but I guess I will go with the fine grade.

Jaretr1
07-02-2015, 02:16 PM
Its a personal preference, but I like Optimum Opti Eraser. Its a foam coated sponge thing and has a feel just like clay, but faster and easier.

While many of the clay alternatives are good, some arent. I had horrible luck with marring using a Carpro one. No marring issues with the Opti Eraser, and most people have not had any issues with Nanoskin either. They make pads, towels, sponges, mitts.

Any and all of the alternates are faster than clay, easier to use, and can be reused multiple times and easily cleaned!

CaveRacing
07-02-2015, 02:27 PM
I started with the Nanoskin fine/medium sponge combo pack to see which I preferred. I agree with the others... Go with the fine grade. I ended up getting a fine grade mitt and couldn't be more pleased.

I've used mine with a foaming of Mr. Pink as well as the traditional way, with a clay lube. I found that a get better feedback with just the clay lube. I think the foam made it more difficult to determine if I had removed all of the contaminants.

4u2nvinmtl
07-02-2015, 02:28 PM
I have a CG's clay alternative mitt (medium) and ended up buying the Autoscrub clay alternative towel (fine). I personally prefer the fine grade towel much more than the medium grade mitt.

They both work very well, I'll be using the medium mitt only for wheels and metal parts with heavy contamination (I also use Iron-X and Tarminator).

CC268
07-02-2015, 03:42 PM
Great guys I ordered a fine grade nanoskin mitt!