PDA

View Full Version : Wax won't come off car

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

jeepz
07-01-2015, 08:49 PM
Hello,

So, today I applied some fleet wax to my jeep and after letting it dry for about 10-15 minutes, I tried to buff it off with microfiber cloths. It took me about an hour, just to do the front hood. Of course, I had gone ahead and did the whole car at once (at an attempt to save time - bad idea!).

At this point, I pretty much have to apply full pressure with a finger or two through the cloth and rub hard to get about a 1"x2" area. I gave up.

I ordered a good random orbital with foam pads and microfiber pads which will come in tomorrow. I'm assuming this should do the job.

Are there any considerations I should take, since the wax will have been basically sitting on the car for a day. Should I re-wax (over the wax) then use the orbital or would it be fine to just take a microfiber cloth and wipe down the area, make sure there's no grime and go at it, I read that the foam pad is probably best for this. Any suggestions would be very helpful! Thank you!

Here's a picture as she stands... :/

http://i.imgur.com/O0TL8Kj.jpg

custmsprty
07-01-2015, 08:51 PM
??? What's fleet wax ???

FOCUS.FREAK
07-01-2015, 08:54 PM
Well for one you used wayyyyy to much wax. You only need a light thin layer. From the looks of it you globbed it all on there. Its had to come off because you used way too much.

custmsprty
07-01-2015, 09:07 PM
Wow!!!

jarred767
07-01-2015, 09:12 PM
Wow, yeah too much for sure. If I get wax that is stubborn at getting off, I usually just hit it with a little spray wax as I'm wiping it off and it will help a lot. Not sure if it would work with that much wax like you've got on there.

Is that "fleet wax" a paste or liquid? What's the name of it, that may help in getting the best answer.

GenesisCoupe
07-01-2015, 09:23 PM
I just died a little bit....

i'd just wash the car from the start and go from there.

jeepz
07-01-2015, 09:28 PM
Oh man.... Ok, so this is what I used Fleetwax Paste Wax » Collinite (http://www.collinite.com/marine-wax/fleetwax-paste-wax/)

It's for boats, so.. it must be good for cars?

I think the picture with the flash at night makes it stand out a lot more, it was on pretty thin, I used a foam pad and it didn't use too much... although it does seem pretty blotchy.

I don't think a car wash is gonna remove it, I mean, it's REALLY on there.. you could use a finger nail to scrape it off or rub really really hard with a cloth.

custmsprty
07-01-2015, 09:30 PM
Got it, I have no idea but it's going to be a major job for sure considering it appears to be a marine wax. Let us know how it goes.

rms64
07-01-2015, 09:37 PM
Some tips from the tech sheet on the Collinite website, which instructs users to apply to MAX 2x2 area and buff off when wax starts to haze. (This is Collinite #885).

If surface is soiled with contaminants (stains/dirt/oxidation etc) that cannot be removed
with a regular wash, first use Collinite’s No. 920 Fiberglass Boat Cleaner.

• Only apply to a CLEAN surface; washed, and free of blemishes, discoloration or other
imperfections like swirls or scratches. A clean/properly-prepped surface will ease the
application/removal process; improving spread and increasing durability of wax’s bond.

• Do NOT apply wax to entire boat or vehicle, or sections larger than recommended before
removing, as prolonged drying or cure times may lead to wax hardening on surface; causing
streaking or difficulty for some users to remove properly. User assumes risk if recommended cure
times are exceeded.

• Drying times may vary based on conditions (air and surface temperature, wind, humidity,
sunlight etc).
• Avoid applying in direct sunlight, or extreme temperatures (over 80 degrees F or less
than 55 degrees F). Surface temperatures should feel lukewarm-room temperature to the
touch. Do not apply if surface feels cold or hot to the touch.

• Safe to use with machine buffer if experienced. Check machine manufacturer’s
speed/pad specifications for last step protective paste waxes that contain no cleaners,
abrasives or filling agents.

• To further maintain the look and durability of the waxed finish between wax applications,
use a boat wash soap that is pH neutral and gentle on the finish with no grease-cutting
properties. Avoid heavy detergents or low-grade soap

custmsprty
07-01-2015, 09:41 PM
Oh man.... Ok, so this is what I used Fleetwax Paste Wax » Collinite (http://www.collinite.com/marine-wax/fleetwax-paste-wax/)

It's for boats, so.. it must be good for cars?

I think the picture with the flash at night makes it stand out a lot more, it was on pretty thin, I used a foam pad and it didn't use too much... although it does seem pretty blotchy.

I don't think a car wash is gonna remove it, I mean, it's REALLY on there.. you could use a finger nail to scrape it off or rub really really hard with a cloth.

Directions to use Collinite #885:
Store product at room temperatue and shake well before using
Apply to a clean cool surface
Using a soft applicator pad apply a very thin coat to a 2x2 section at a time
Wait for wax to haze
Remove using a plush microfiber towel
Avoid rubber or trim when applying

jeepz
07-01-2015, 10:06 PM
Yeah, I guess it's a good idea to follow the directions.

jarred767
07-01-2015, 11:16 PM
Yeah, directions are good, but it's on there, and now we gotta figure out how to get it off. Have you tried IPA yet? That might help loosen it,

jeepz
07-01-2015, 11:36 PM
Yeah, directions are good, but it's on there, and now we gotta figure out how to get it off. Have you tried IPA yet? That might help loosen it,

No, I haven't. I mean, I'd prefer to keep it on and buff it out if I can.

I'll have the polisher in tomorrow sometime, so I'm thinking I'll try with a lil re-wax then using the polisher on it, see how that does, will do a small spot and maybe also with a spray polisher to wet it a little and try with that.

2black1s
07-01-2015, 11:38 PM
I would try taking some more of the same product you originally applied and reapply to a small section. Then buff it off immediately. The reapplication of fresh product should soften up what's already on there.

jarred767
07-02-2015, 12:11 AM
I would try taking some more of the same product you originally applied and reapply to a small section. Then buff it off immediately. The reapplication of fresh product should soften up what's already on there.

+1 good advice, I'd probably do that first now that I'm thinking of it. Let us know how it goes, good luck, and oh, Welcome to AGO!!:props: