PDA

View Full Version : cleaning pads with sealant residue

molarman
07-01-2015, 07:04 PM
anyone have idea as to how best to clean sealant wg 3.0 from lake country red appicator pads; dp polishing pad rejuvenator didnt work

KMdef9
07-01-2015, 07:10 PM
I let mine soak in an APC over night after spraying with WG pad cleaner.

Kamakaz1961
07-01-2015, 07:12 PM
I use hot water with liquid dishwashing soap. I let it soak and then wash and squeze all the gunk out repeatedly

molarman
07-01-2015, 07:30 PM
I let mine soak in an APC over night after spraying with WG pad cleaner.

what is apc?

BMW435
07-01-2015, 07:41 PM
what is apc?

All Purpose Cleaner

custmsprty
07-01-2015, 07:54 PM
I toss all my pads in the washing machine with pre-wash cycle and steam cycle using XMT Pad Cleaner and all free and clear.

Case in point, I used my Mini to apply Fuzion on a blue 4" B & S pad this past weekend and did a test. I applied XMT pad cleaner, let it pre-soak, tossed it in the sink over night, scrubbed it with a pad brush, squeezed it numerous times (which breaks down the pad over time, not good.) and it still had Fuzion residue on it and red coloration. I tossed it in the washing machine and here it is, perfect.

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w421/custmsprty/BampSPADS_zps05zlnu7z.jpg (http://s1075.photobucket.com/user/custmsprty/media/BampSPADS_zps05zlnu7z.jpg.html)

LSNAutoDetailing
07-01-2015, 08:45 PM
I usually spray it with XMT, bury it in a towel/cloth and run the 7424 on #6. Then I'll hit it again with XMT and run it under cold water until all the solution and products are out of it. Then it will go through the wash with the other MF clothes.

Calendyr
07-01-2015, 10:57 PM
I don't clean those pads. Once I am done applying the sealant, I put the pad in a zip lock bag ready for the next application.

Mike Honcho
07-02-2015, 02:32 AM
I don't clean those pads. Once I am done applying the sealant, I put the pad in a zip lock bag ready for the next application.

That's what I'm thinking about doing when I reapply Wolfgang Sealant 3.0 in a few weeks. Does the pad get "crusty" and hard while its in the bag? I'll probably leave it untouched in the bag between reapplys every 3 months or so.

trashmanssd
07-02-2015, 05:34 AM
I had a Lake country CCS Hand applicator Pad grow mold in a baggie, but it was in there for 3 months with out use and it was with Blackfire Wet Diamond.

Jeremy.Hoffman
07-02-2015, 08:36 AM
I take them to the sink with dish washing liquid soap. I really think too that IF you ruin one over time then oh well. Its a $15 disposable item.

Why are we expecting a product made out of foam that we level paint with abrasive chemicals to last through massive abuse cycles.

Frankly we should be thrilled to get a half a dozen cycles with one. The more they last the cheaper they get. Its awesome they last a long time as I hate waste. Lose $60 in crankbaits in one day and a $15 pad seems like a steal.

wdmaccord
07-02-2015, 08:49 AM
My sealant pads I just clean the best I can with APC, rinse completely, and then dry and into a ziploc bag labeled with the sealant for that pad. Then just use that pad for the same sealant until it's toast.

4u2nvinmtl
07-02-2015, 10:32 AM
I wasn't able to clean my FK-1000p applicators, I tried soaking them overnight, I tried APC (pure D101) in the washing machine (helped a bit), but the wax/sealant is still locked inside the pad and it now acts like memory foam. My Wet Diamond pads also never came clean...

They should just provide applicators with the product that are stored in the jar or above it.

Should get mold unless water came in contact with the pad

KMdef9
07-02-2015, 07:14 PM

Along this line, I have a dedicated pad for sealants. I don't use them for anything else but that type of product.

dlc95
07-02-2015, 07:53 PM
I've actually used Megs Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner on a red B&S pad. Got it completely clean of dg 111.