PDA

View Full Version : removing dried polish from seams

QuickCln
07-01-2015, 03:39 PM
I polished my car a while ago, and before that have used a few paste waxes. Long story short, I've still got residue\dried white streaks on my trim\rubber\weather stripping\seams of my car.

Whats the most efficient way to remove this stuff? Ive already tried alcohol, pressure washer, tooth brushes, and car soap, they still remain.

I am thinking of spraying royal brown on the rubber and going at it with a toothbrush, followed by pressure washer.

I guess my question is, has anyone used Royal brown on anything other than wheels? The fact that RB is able to breakdown road grime gives me hope it will do a good job, but I also dont want to cause damage.

Kamakaz1961
07-01-2015, 03:53 PM
I use 2 things and hopefully that will work. I use a Q-tip to get the excess dried polish off. If it's difficult to wipe off use an alcohol solution to get rrid of it. I like Menzerna's Top Inspection as it has a mixture of the alcohol and it's a no brainer for me.

The second is get a credit card or something with a thin edge (ruler) and wrap a MF Towel over it. The edge can get into the seams pretty easy.

If you still have dried polish on there then I ususally use a trim and sealant (I like Wolfgang's Trim) and dap that on a Q-Tip. Hopefully, that helps your situation.

QuickCln
07-01-2015, 03:59 PM
thanks for the pointers. I am actually sitting on an expensive bottle of c4 trim restore. But I dont think it will turn the white black, it may just make the black darker... I also think that the tooth brush is more aggressive than a cloth\q tip and that hasnt worked, even with alcohol.

Is there a better chemical to use? like 409? or as i said royal brown?

Kamakaz1961
07-01-2015, 04:07 PM
thanks for the pointers. I am actually sitting on an expensive bottle of c4 trim restore. But I dont think it will turn the white black, it may just make the black darker... I also think that the tooth brush is more aggressive than a clothq tip and that hasnt worked, even with alcohol.

Is there a better chemical to use? like 409? or as i said royal brown?

I am not familiar with Royal Brown, however, I am familiar with Wolfgang Trim and Seal and it gets rid of the white residue. So far, that is all I use and it has been successful. I am very lazy and I will not tape and this takes care of my laziness....LOL

Don M
07-01-2015, 07:22 PM
I've used Mother's VLR with a toothbrush with good results on my wife's Explorer

jfelbab
07-01-2015, 07:59 PM
I use a pink eraser along with a knife to cut the eraser to a sharp edge for tight seams. This pulls the residue right out.

Jeremy.Hoffman
07-01-2015, 08:07 PM
I pulled a trick the other night on my window trim that had god only knows what on it. I tried everything reasonable. Then I grabbed some ultimate polish and figured I have nothing to lose. My trim looks awesome again.

When I was done I wiped it with ipa and hit it with meguiars ultimate black.

parttimer
07-01-2015, 08:29 PM
Prep sol and a small brush for me

LSNAutoDetailing
07-01-2015, 08:39 PM
I didn't tape off my mustang and got compound on my trim.
I used DP Detailers Spray and they're deep black again.