PDA

View Full Version : Daytona Wheel Brush & Boar's Hair Brush - Scratch any wheels?

CC268
07-01-2015, 12:57 PM
I am doing a buddies VW Golf next week - he has some really nice Pokal 3 piece wheels (these things are like 3 grand). They are chrome (I am guessing polished?).

Will the Daytona Wheel Brush or the Boar's Hair Brush scratch these wheels? Should I just stick with my micro chenille wash mit?

Here is a picture of the wheels on his car:
http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz335/Kawasaki268F/11348399_398891096986281_1359772037_n_zps0qgewgtk. jpg

fly07sti
07-01-2015, 01:09 PM
I doubt the Daytona brush would even fit inbetween everything. The board hair should be ok. I would use wheel woolies for the tight spots and a MF or demoted wash mitt for the rest.

Nick McKees37
07-01-2015, 01:44 PM
Take your time, don't rush it, and make sure the surface has a lot of lubrication (drunk each brush into a bucket of soapy water before agitating) and you'll be fine.

Rsurfer
07-01-2015, 02:14 PM
Pressure wash if you have one and work clean to prevent scratching.

custmsprty
07-01-2015, 02:24 PM
Wheel Woolies, I retired my Daytona Brush.

d33p
07-01-2015, 02:26 PM
Wheel woolies are the best for cleaning but I wish the middle sized one had the same length handle as the large one. Kinda stupid to shorten the handle when it's meant to fit behind brakes.

Regardless of that they are way better than the Daytona speed brush. But if you heart is set on it then they do make a jr.

CC268
07-01-2015, 03:01 PM
Thanks for all the info guys...I may get the wheel woolie 3 pack

JWilliams.RadiantDetail
07-01-2015, 03:36 PM
Wheel woolies are the best for cleaning but I wish the middle sized one had the same length handle as the large one. Kinda stupid to shorten the handle when it's meant to fit behind brakes.

Regardless of that they are way better than the Daytona speed brush. But if you heart is set on it then they do make a jr.

Dunno if you can still find them for sale, but Adam's Woolies were a custom set where the medium brush's handle was much longer than on the standard set. I don't have access to mine at the moment so I might be remembering incorrectly. But it was the same length handle as the large one. If not, I do know it was a good deal longer than the normal Woolie length.

OP I'd suggest you google Adam's Wheel Woolies to see if you can find them. I remember they didn't cost me any more than the normal ones, and they are a step up. One had a larger head and one had a longer handle. Not that there's anything wrong with the regular ones mind you.

custmsprty
07-01-2015, 03:54 PM
I got a 2 piece set from Griot's a while back, the medium one has a longer handle.

d33p
07-01-2015, 04:51 PM
Dunno if you can still find them for sale, but Adam's Woolies were a custom set where the medium brush's handle was much longer than on the standard set. I don't have access to mine at the moment so I might be remembering incorrectly. But it was the same length handle as the large one. If not, I do know it was a good deal longer than the normal Woolie length.

OP I'd suggest you google Adam's Wheel Woolies to see if you can find them. I remember they didn't cost me any more than the normal ones, and they are a step up. One had a larger head and one had a longer handle. Not that there's anything wrong with the regular ones mind you.

I just did a search and you are right, the Adams middle one is just as long as the big one. Also the number one complaint on regular woolies was the same as me, the middle one being too short lol

swanicyouth
07-01-2015, 05:26 PM
Take your time, don't rush it, and make sure the surface has a lot of lubrication (drunk each brush into a bucket of soapy water before agitating) and you'll be fine.

This is the best answer. These brushes have never scratched for me. Although, if your super concerned, use a towel to clean the faces.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/01/c68c16c1476f70fdf4ec69ddd295f15b.jpg

I'm trying to figure out what exactly is going on between wheel, tire, & fender in this photo. Is this car an ornament or can you actually drive it?

custmsprty
07-01-2015, 06:16 PM
This is the best answer. These brushes have never scratched for me. Although, if your super concerned, use a towel to clean the faces.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/01/c68c16c1476f70fdf4ec69ddd295f15b.jpg

I'm trying to figure out what exactly is going on between wheel, tire, & fender in this photo. Is this car an ornament or can you actually drive it?

:goodpost::cheers:

I have never and will never get that.

CC268
07-01-2015, 07:22 PM
I don't know much about these types of things...it has an air system to lower and raise it...he does a lot of car show stuff. but yes you can drive it....in fact it is not that bad with the air system...it doesn't have that ridiculous camber that some of those "stance" cars have.

I drive a truck lol

d33p
07-01-2015, 07:56 PM
Yeah its on bags for sure

LSNAutoDetailing
07-01-2015, 08:47 PM
Hmmm, I use the Daytona Wheel Brush, as demo'd by Mike Phillips and it works great. I gloss black rims on my Mustang it has not scratched them.
My coated rims on my other cars are just fine.

Does a great job getting in behind the wheels.... I love mine! (except for the spatter)