PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with buffing off polish...

ereeber
03-10-2006, 10:23 AM
OK.. .I bought the Porter Cable 7424... I used it for the first time yesterday on my hood that was painted about 9 months ago. I applied McGuire's Paint Cleaner as step 1.. It was a PAIN IN THE A$# to buff out by hand and by machine. Then I went to Step 2, "Polish"... I applied that with the buffer using the polishing pad. I worked it into the paint pretty damn good on speed setting 6. Then I took a micro fiber towel to buff out the polish and the towel would actually get stuck to the dried polish on the paint. My hand kept slipping off the towel. I did finally buff off the polish, but am definately not impressed with the outcome. Could it be because I left the polish in my garage all winter? Could the chemicals have seperated? Is it my paint? Or, do I just not know how to polish my car?????

BusterC417
03-10-2006, 10:36 AM
Mix water and isopryl alcohol (sp?) half and half in a bottle and mist the area right before you buff it off with the microfiber, works great. As for your detailing or polishing process, I am not sure.

Matt
03-10-2006, 11:01 AM
Mix water and isopryl alcohol (sp?) half and half in a bottle and mist the area right before you buff it off with the microfiber, works great. As for your detailing or polishing process, I am not sure.

This will work, but will also remove any fillers in a polish. Some consider it a good thing, some consider it a bad thing...

You can also just use a regular QD spray if you'd like.

MasterShineBoy
03-10-2006, 12:25 PM
I am with MAtt on this one! Spit shine all the way!

ereeber
03-10-2006, 05:33 PM
Well, I just got my Pinnacle advanced finishing polish and swirl remover in the mail today. I tried that on my car and it was MUCH easier to buff off... I think I just had a bad batch of Mcguires, unless Pinnacle is THAT much better... I used the swirl remover with a light cutting pad at about 4000 RPM's, then went to the advanced polish at about the same speed. I am still not happy with the paint. I have a lot more work to do. May need to compound.

ScottB
03-10-2006, 07:15 PM
unless Pinnacle is THAT much better

:p (it really is that much better)

I prefer the alcohol/water mix also. Why ?? Because polishing is not the art of apply and remove. It is the art of blending and reducing. The only way to see if that is done, is to remove all fillers. It takes 10 extra minutes to add a glaze as wanted , but I prefer to keep polishing and ###eling until I know that the sun will not reduce the fillers to nothing, and then all those swirls will be visible.

John U
03-11-2006, 11:27 AM
I've found a microfibre "clogs" up on certian types of wax/polish. I'll switch to a cotton looped or DF type of towel to get it off and then downshift back to the microfibre for spreading the detailing spray and buffing.

I only use my PC at 1-2 speed. I'm only doing light polishing and it does not sling the polish all over like at higher speeds.

Later,
JU

MasterShineBoy
03-12-2006, 03:06 AM
Is the DC recomended for use by buffer? I know the mirror glaze is, maybe that is the problem.

Detail_Guy
03-12-2006, 03:06 PM
OK.. .I bought the Porter Cable 7424... I used it for the first time yesterday on my hood that was painted about 9 months ago. I applied McGuire's Paint Cleaner as step 1.. It was a PAIN IN THE A$# to buff out by hand and by machine. Then I went to Step 2, "Polish"... I applied that with the buffer using the polishing pad. I worked it into the paint pretty damn good on speed setting 6. Then I took a micro fiber towel to buff out the polish and the towel would actually get stuck to the dried polish on the paint. My hand kept slipping off the towel. I did finally buff off the polish, but am definately not impressed with the outcome. Could it be because I left the polish in my garage all winter? Could the chemicals have seperated? Is it my paint? Or, do I just not know how to polish my car?????

My guess is that you worked this products too far.

With the paint cleaner, you work a small section, and wipe it off before it gets very dry.

The DC#2 is a glaze (not an abrasive polish). If I remember correctly, you work it in lightly, let it haze, and buff it off.

If you used too much product, or worked it too long, they both would be difficult remove. While both can be used by machine, working by hand might be easier until you get the hang of the product.