PDA

View Full Version : Interior

LSNAutoDetailing
06-30-2015, 06:08 PM
So I have to admit, I'm all about the paint and how the car looks from the outside.
As long as the inside was wiped down, vacuumed, glass cleaned, I figured what the heck.

I understand, the interior is part of the whole deal. Especially on classics, and seems like modern leather is pretty easy to upkeep. Modern upholstery on the other hand is tougher, especially the ones that have the honey combed fabric. It's like a nylon over the black padding, like in my Honda Fit. Dog hairs, people hairs get in there and even my shop vac won't take it out.

I see extractors, shampooers, steam cleaners... It's hard enough keeping track of all the exterior products... What's the best thing to get? All three?

Seems like Extractor does what a Shampooer & Carpet Cleaner does, except, (according to what I've read), it's better because it sucks all the junk out. Steam-cleaner would be used to clean spot stains, like my boston creme donut and Dunkin's coffee that I ground into my drivers seat? (Kidding of course about the donut & coffee...)

What do you all have, what do you use, how do you like it and can you give some pointers?

(open for discussion).

custmsprty
06-30-2015, 06:17 PM
Invest in some good seat covers.

medicscott
06-30-2015, 06:21 PM
I have a Mytee Tempo Extractor, Mytee Firebird Steamer & a Toronador Black. That combo is all you'll ever need for any interior plus they are super portable in the event you need to go mobile. The tempo does not have hot water on board so I usually ask the homeowner to boil a pot of water or if no one is home I have a small propane system I can do the same with. For the price you can't go wrong. The steamer is very versatile and I find a new use for it each week. As for the Toronador, all weather floor mats don't stand a chance. Headliners that the steamer can't conquer the Toronador makes perfect. It also does awesome on carpet and fabric seat stains that the steamer can't fix. All in all a super combo.

TFTADetail
06-30-2015, 08:52 PM
In all honesty a Tornador is all you really need for the majority of interior jobs. It'll get wherever the extractor won't and the air purge does a great job at cleaning most everything embedded within the carpet/upholstery.
Also, it's rare if I'm unable to remove a stain. It's all about the air purge.

LSNAutoDetailing
06-30-2015, 09:17 PM
In all honesty a Tornador is all you really need for the majority of interior jobs. It'll get wherever the extractor won't and the air purge does a great job at cleaning most everything embedded within the carpet/upholstery.

Also, it's rare if I'm unable to remove a stain. It's all about the air purge.

So in your opinion, if just starting out, the Tornado Black is all I need?

I don't have an air compressor but can get one at Home Depot. AGO has a tornado kit.

Fast Eddie
06-30-2015, 09:55 PM

I have a Mytee HP60, steamer and tornador black. The tornador black is awesome and I love the tool, but on rat nasty seats and carpets, no way I would do without my hot water carpet extractor.

FishyX
07-01-2015, 08:43 AM
303 Fabric Guard has saved my light stone cloth seats and carpet from a few liquid disasters over the years. Had a fight with some kind of carbonated red drink the other day while driving. Stained the crap out of my cloths but it just beaded up on the seats. After 3 years the fabric guard is still working fantastic but I'm gonna hit it a second time this weekend.

kevincwelch
07-01-2015, 08:48 AM
I'll admit that I'm a bit confused about how the Toronador works. You have this compressed air and a container with a cleaner. In the funnel this hose spins around and then you aim it at the upholstery. In the videos, I see this trail of cleanliness.

Where does all the dirt and grime go?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

dcjredline
07-01-2015, 10:44 AM
I have had great luck so far without the expensive machines. Im sure they would have saved me A LOT of blood sweat and tears but you do not NEED any of them.

Hot HOT HOT water in a bucket, some carpet cleaner, many brushes from really stiff to soft, shop (wet/dry) vac, and some older terry cloth towels (white)

Spray your cleaner of choice
Scrub with appropriate brush (Stiff for carpet, softer for fabric)
Wipe with towels or vac or both. (I usually vac first then wipe with towel, that helps dry it some more too)

Sometimes on dirty seats I will put some APC in my HOT water bucked and foam it up (swish around the brush, Power washer spray for a sec) then dab brush in foam only and scrub seats. Wipe with a towel and youre good to go.

Kengo123
07-01-2015, 12:54 PM
I have had great luck so far without the expensive machines. Im sure they would have saved me A LOT of blood sweat and tears but you do not NEED any of them.

Hot HOT HOT water in a bucket, some carpet cleaner, many brushes from really stiff to soft, shop (wet/dry) vac, and some older terry cloth towels (white)

Spray your cleaner of choice
Scrub with appropriate brush (Stiff for carpet, softer for fabric)
Wipe with towels or vac or both. (I usually vac first then wipe with towel, that helps dry it some more too)

Sometimes on dirty seats I will put some APC in my HOT water bucked and foam it up (swish around the brush, Power washer spray for a sec) then dab brush in foam only and scrub seats. Wipe with a towel and youre good to go.

I agree, you don't have to buy all kinds of equipment for interiors. A hot water extractor is nice to have, but you can still clean most interiors if you have some creativity.

Dipping brushes into a bucket of hot water with cleaner, scrubbing then extracting with a wet vac and wiping dry with towels works well. If you don't have access to hot water, this same method works with cold water too. Just get creative. People at DEALERSHIPS here still do it that way without an extractor. Sometimes even since purchasing an extractor I opt to use "old school" methods, as sometimes lugging out the extractor isn't worth it.

TFTADetail
07-01-2015, 06:56 PM

I don't have an air compressor but can get one at Home Depot. AGO has a tornado kit.

I would say a Tornador is going to be enough for you even after you can afford more equipment.

TFTADetail
07-01-2015, 06:59 PM
I'll admit that I'm a bit confused about how the Toronador works. You have this compressed air and a container with a cleaner. In the funnel this hose spins around and then you aim it at the upholstery. In the videos, I see this trail of cleanliness.

Where does all the dirt and grime go?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

In my experience it more or less dissipates into nothing. If you have a VERY soiled vehicle then you'll see everything it's kicking out of the fabric/carpet.