PDA

View Full Version : Little marring after clay. Is it avoidable?

Linneo
06-30-2015, 05:09 PM
Hello everybody.
I've started decontaminating my 2008 BMW 335's black paint with a 3D HD professional grade clay bar, using HD Touch as lubricant.
I did a test spot on the trunk lid using the baggie test. The difference between before/after was really impressive.
So I did the whole trunk lid, then the roof and finally the hood.

At this point I have a big doubt. The clay bar produces a noticeable squeaking that seems to never go away.
Is it normal? Or is it that there are still contaminants on the surface?

Then I went for the rear fender, and that was where I panic, because after doing the first section something happened to the paint, that now after searching the forums I know it is called marring.

So, what's going on? Am I doing something wrong?

My test spot on the trunk:

The marring on the fender:

Feed back please

Busy mind
06-30-2015, 05:30 PM
You need to use more lubrication. The clay shouldn't make any squeaks. Claying is a lot about feel. There's a certain amount of drag or catch that you may feel throughout the process. Just keep adding lubricant when this happens so the clay glides more freely across the surface.
Marring happens to the best of us. This is an inexpensive lesson.

After I realized how much clay lube is needed for an entire car, I started buying concentrated versions. Cheap insurance and keeps me from having to go back over with polish.

aim4squirrels
06-30-2015, 05:34 PM
IMO, marring is unavoidable with clay, especially so for you and I, as we own black vehicles.

Some types of clay are considered less aggressive, and likewise some brands are far less aggressive. Ultimately, I've never found a clay that didn't mar the paint, even if it's just a little bit. Further complications are that some paints are softer than others and so they mar even easier.

Luckily most of the scratching while permanent and ugly, is very light and most times can be removed with a light machine polishing.

I will say that I recently used a clay substitute called a nanoskin mitt (fine grade) and I didn't notice any marring, at least none as badly as with the meguiars fine clay I used to use. I will admit that I didn't inspect too heavily for marring, as I was already planning to polish the car at that time anyway, but it was obvious with the meguiars clay, but I never had any fine scratches jump out at me with the nanoskin mitt.

Most would recommend that if you're going to clay, a follow up polishing step should always be in the plan as well.

Busy mind is right though, you should use enough lube so that the clay essentially hydroplanes over the surface of the paint. If it starts to catch, you'll mar the paint very quickly.

Linneo
07-01-2015, 10:29 PM
Thank you guys!
I think it's a question of lubricity. Since it's the first vertical panel I'm working on, i think maybe the QD I'm using drips too fast. I'm really putting a lot of it.
I've read that for clay mitts some use Rinseless Wash, foam or Waterless Wash as lube, do you think that it can be used for clay bar too?
Because I don't think I can get a better lubricant here, at least not easily.

davey g-force
07-02-2015, 12:48 AM
I've read that for clay mitts some use Rinseless Wash, foam or Waterless Wash as lube, do you think that it can be used for clay bar too?

Yes, no* and yes. :)

* Not sure what you mean by foam.

Also, bear in mind that whilst it's common for clay to marr paint, it can also be the clay removing any wax, glaze or other fillers on the surface, which then reveals the true condition of the paint underneath.

Those swirls could have been there all along, but just 'hiding'.

trashmanssd
07-02-2015, 06:01 AM
May need to try do a high concentration wash (maybe add 2oz apc) to strip a lot of your wax so the lube lays flatter and doesn't bead off so fast. Also when I used to use clay i would spray the face of clay itself one squirt before putting it on the paint to make sure i have lube under it to start and I add lube as i am rubbing the clay spraying the area I am working near constantly.
Also do your self a favor and look at a speedy prep towel or a Nanoskin towel or mitt the time savings is worth every penny. I use 2 when I do my car I make about 3 gallons of waterless wash in my bucket with a grit guard and i let the soak in there so they are nice and wet and lubed up. Also I use that to rinse the quickly and exchange them every other panel so the have time to soak. I rinse and scrub them lightly on the grit guard when I put them in and pull them out so they get a rinse scrub soak scrub rinse then use again. over kill probably but i hate marring.

Mike Phillips
07-02-2015, 07:25 AM
I think the idea of being able to rub detailing clay over scratch-sensitive paint while inducing zero marring is a worthy goal I also think that at some point, somewhere on the paint some type of marring will take place. Just makes sense.

This is why if I'm going to clay a car or use any other form of mechanical decontamination then I'm already planning on doing at least one machine polishing step and this one machine polishing step will remove any marring inflicted during the claying step.

Solves any issues.

Plus... from experience, if you're working on a car that has some level of contamination build-up on the paint then chances are very good the paint needs to be cleaned and polished anyway.

FWIW

:xyxthumbs: