PDA

View Full Version : Engine Detailing Information

Fredrick2003
09-09-2007, 08:47 PM
Well, now that the outside of my car looks alot better (except for my lug nut issue...) I would like to make the engine look good as well. I guess I don't NEED to, but it can't be good for the car if the engine looks like that :(, its pretty bad...

I read the engine detailing tutorial, but it wasn't very specific. I made a list of all of the things that it said I would need (along with what other places reccomended) ($$$) but I do not want to go ahead and buy it unless I am sure I know what i am doing.

My main question is, is the hose really necessary? Couldn't you just... leave that part out? Especially since the guide even says that you shouldn't get some parts of the engine wet (better safe than sorry).

Or really, anything you could tell me about this I would appreciate. Its surprisingly hard to find good information on.

Reddwarf
09-09-2007, 09:23 PM
I've not had a problem spraying the engine with water from the hose. The DP Engine Degreaser works great and it's not expensive. You really don't need to spend a lot of money on detailing the engine. You can use the same dressing on the engine that you use on the trim or even use Armor All or No Touch.

Here is a post I did that includes cleaning the engine:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/5846-april-28-jaguar-detail.html

And here is a post all about engine detailing:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-university/4549-engine-detailing.html

Be sure to take pictures when you do yours and post your results!

jesselyons2002
09-09-2007, 10:33 PM
Go to propercarcare.com. They have a nice tutorial there.

supercharged
09-10-2007, 01:41 AM
Go to propercarcare.com. They have a nice tutorial there.
Please, no links to competitors sites.

Well, now that the outside of my car looks alot better (except for my lug nut issue...) I would like to make the engine look good as well. I guess I don't NEED to, but it can't be good for the car if the engine looks like that :(, its pretty bad...

I read the engine detailing tutorial, but it wasn't very specific. I made a list of all of the things that it said I would need (along with what other places reccomended) ($$$) but I do not want to go ahead and buy it unless I am sure I know what i am doing.

My main question is, is the hose really necessary? Couldn't you just... leave that part out? Especially since the guide even says that you shouldn't get some parts of the engine wet (better safe than sorry).

Or really, anything you could tell me about this I would appreciate. Its surprisingly hard to find good information on.

What kind of car is it anyway?

Remember that altenator, air intake, fans, electrical items/wires need to be covered. Better be safe, then sorry. Cover them with plastic bags (better cover twice with 2 bags each section). Spray liberally with water, then spray engine degreaser (DP is very nice) and let soak for 5 minutes. Spray a little more, use a brush to remove any stubborn dirt/grime, then rinse. Use a terry towel to wipe off any major spills of water. Remove plastic bags. Spray engine dressing (I use AA tire foam) on hoses, and plastic. KEEP IT AWAY FROM BELTS, AND ALTENATOR. Crank up the engine, close the hood and let it bake for 15 minutes. Pop the hood, and wipe any remaining spills. DONE.

Pauly6401
09-10-2007, 05:31 AM
You're going to have a pretty rough time getting the results that you want without a hose. Just cover up the areas that people said and you will be fine. It's the only way to get all the grime out of the engine bay.

Fredrick2003
09-10-2007, 07:29 AM
Eh... Thanks.

I'm just afraid I might miss a spot... Or that what I use to cover it up might fall off... Or something like that.

makdaddy626
09-10-2007, 08:49 AM
Don't sweat it. Notice that everyone is saying "better safe than sorry" - that's because some people don't bother covering things up (not the best idea IMO). Your engine compartment sees moisture every time you drive in the rain. Just not as much as you're going to put on it. Personally, I try to avoid using much water pressure, take the hose end off and use your thumb to add a little if need or keep it to a lighter mist.

joe.p
09-10-2007, 09:10 AM
here is a full guide to detailing..click on Anthonys link then scroll down to engine deatiling..there is also endless information in the guide to deatiling..

Detailing Guide (http://www.ocdetails.com/html/detailing_guide.html)

Fredrick2003
09-17-2007, 11:00 PM
Thanks for that link, alot of useful information and opinions from people, but I do not know which advice to follow. I think I will start tomorrow though, I need to just get it over with. It doesn't sound like water will absolutely destroy the engine, so that makes me feel a little better.

J&L Detailing
10-03-2007, 10:36 AM
when you guys clean the engine do you clean the battery as you would the engine or shoud i cover the battery so no water gets on it?

D
10-03-2007, 11:06 AM
Excessive amounts of water in the wrong spots can certainly cause serious problems.

Use your hose, but put on a nozzle thatll restrict water flow.
Dont sit in one spot with the hose, move it around. Keep the nozzle back a reasonable distance.
Make sure the engine is 100% cold, spraying cold water on a hot block can crack it.
If you think water shouldnt get on something, then cover it with plastic bags or aluminum foil. You definitely want to cover the filter/ air intake, alternator, exposed wires, and coils.

This is my process.

Engine is cold, cover up necessary parts with aluminum foil (I dont use plastic bags).
Lightly wet engine.
Spray on Amazing Roll Off. Let sit a few minutes.
Use brush for bad spots.
Lightly rinse degreaser off.
Blow dry with electric leaf blower.
After mostly dry, turn on engine and continue to dry with leaf blower.
After dry, turn off engine, spray on AA Tire Foam. Let sit a few minutes.
Wipe excess off with towel.

I use ARO instead of DP ED because the DP stuff shouldnt be left on aluminum for long. ARO is safe on everything.

J&L Detailing
10-03-2007, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the advise i will use the ARO that I have.

jesselyons2002
10-03-2007, 04:25 PM
On the battery I would use baking soda mix with water (Pasty) so it could neutralize all the electrolyte on top of you battery then wash it off. If you want to get the engine bay real clean. Use some of you wheel brush, like the Ez brush and long handle brush.