PDA

View Full Version : Collinite 845 question... 2nd coat may be needed

MrOneEyedBoh
06-29-2015, 01:33 PM
So I polished my truck yesterday and applied a coat of 845 my buffer. I did the whole truck and then buffed it off. Now, I applied my 845 to the pad using a spray bottle to eliminate applying too much to the pad. It looked like 100% coverage, but now I'm second guessing myself. Should I apply a second coat? I polished and waxed Sunday. So I would get to it tomorrow.

If its recommended to apply another coat, how should I deal with the dust /pollen on the paint? Just use a deep nap MF and lightly wipe the paint?

Loach
06-29-2015, 02:38 PM
I've been working with 845 for the last few weeks. When I only apply 1 coat after polishing, the beading is much less impressive and less durable when I go to wash and rinse after 24 hours for testing. If I apply a second coat about an hour or a few hours after the first, I get much more impressive beading and better durability after the wash and rinse test. I can guarantee I'm getting full coverage on the first coat using a light source. So from what I'm seeing, 845 likes multiple applications.

If there's any pollen or dust on the truck I recommend you give it a quick wash before applying another coat.

Desertnate
06-29-2015, 02:55 PM
Over the last few years of applying 845, I've never had to double coat. A single coat yields an incredible shine and the water beading is amazing. Durability was easily six months.

The other day I stood and watched it rain on my car for a moment. The rain drops looked like they were bouncing off the car!

How did you apply it with a spray bottle? I'd think it would be too think to spray easily, even when properly warmed up and well shaken. Three pea sized drops on a pad are easily enough to cover a panel when applied with a DA.

FUNX650
06-29-2015, 02:59 PM
So I polished my truck yesterday and applied a coat of 845 my buffer.

Should I apply a second coat?

If its recommended to apply another coat,
Not saying that layering Collinite #845 is
recommended, or not...but for some people
it continues to be a practice (habit?) that's
not too easily broken.

I polished and waxed Sunday. So I would get to it tomorrow.
How should I deal with the dust /pollen on the paint? Just use a deep nap MF and lightly wipe the paint?
•To clean/remove any light dust/contaminates:
-I'd use a product like Meguiar's D114 {@1:256 ratio}.
Note:
D114 doesn't leave anything behind that could
possibly interfere with #845's characteristics.

Bob

MrOneEyedBoh
06-29-2015, 03:56 PM
Thanks guys.

I have a few QD sprays. ONRWW, V7 spray, aqua wax, sonax brilliant shine, megs spray for clay bar lube. Would those work?

Where can i get d114 from locally?

FUNX650
06-29-2015, 04:44 PM
Where can i get d114 from locally?
It'd probably be best to find a PBE store in your area.
(PBE...A store that sells automotive
Paint, Body-Shop-Supplies, & Equipment.)

Here's one method on: "How To Find A PBE"...
one that should carry Meguiar's Professional Line-up:

-Go to the below site;
-type in your Zip;
-and click on "Find".
Meguiar's : Store Locator (http://www.meguiars.com/m-en/locator)

Hope this helps.

Bob

MrOneEyedBoh
06-29-2015, 04:56 PM
That listed auto zone, target etc

FUNX650
06-29-2015, 05:10 PM
That listed auto zone, target etc
•OK...If not at those stores; and needed immediately:

-Go to your local Yellow Pages and look for:
Automotive Paint, Body Shop, and Equipment Supply Stores.

-Or...Order from AGO: They'll tell you which of
their fastest shipping methods to select.

Bob

MrOneEyedBoh
06-29-2015, 05:13 PM
Thanks Bob.

geekdout
06-29-2015, 05:13 PM
I would just mix up some of the ONR that you already have into a WW solution and give the car a good wipe down. Then once you have your paint nice and clean you should be good to go.

I am still curious how you applied 845 by spray bottle or did I misread your post.

MrOneEyedBoh
06-29-2015, 05:20 PM
I did. I poured some into a mini spray bottle and then every so often misted the pad.

FUNX650
06-29-2015, 05:22 PM
I am still curious how you applied 845 by spray bottle or did I misread your post.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/40243-collinite-845-definitive-how-guide-legendary-wax.html

From the above article:

Note:
Some people like to attach a sprayer to the Collinite bottle and spray the product onto the pad or applicator. While I've tried this method and it works, I still prefer using the Meguiar's Self Cleaning Dispenser Bottle.

Bob

davidc
06-29-2015, 05:30 PM
I would just mix up some of the ONR that you already have into a WW solution and give the car a good wipe down. Then once you have your paint nice and clean you should be good to go.

I tried the original ONR as a QD and the 476S or 885 did not like it one bit. Collinite does like DG 932 as a QD or no rinse also DG Fast Clean and Shine.

Dave

MrOneEyedBoh
06-29-2015, 05:49 PM
Thanks.

MrOneEyedBoh
06-29-2015, 06:00 PM
I think I may just wash my car. I have DG 901.