PDA

View Full Version : Prepping for coating

Britsdaddy
06-28-2015, 04:58 PM
I'm thinking about coating my truck with CQUK. I did a full decontamination this spring with Iron X and claying and the truck is currently swirl free. It does have 3 coats of 845 on it, though. Would another full decontamination and spraying OPC to remove the wax be enough or do I need to polish first when the truck doesn't need it?

TroyScherer
06-28-2015, 05:24 PM
Personaly I don't think a Decon spray and OPC is enough to remove most waxes much less 3-layers of 845. IMO your best bet is to Decon and use a finishing polish quickly to make sure you are down to bare paint. Then do you Eraser step and go from there.

Rsurfer
06-28-2015, 05:28 PM
Although I would not recommend polishing if not needed, but with 3 coats of Collinite, you may need a light polish to remove it. You can try washing a section of your hood with OPC mixed with Car Pro Reset and see how it beads. If it removes the 845, I would still do an Eraser wipe down before CQUK. Good luck with your new coating.:props:

refreshauto
06-28-2015, 07:45 PM
Wash it with iron-x snow foam then do an eraser wipe down and you should be good to go.

Mask
06-28-2015, 10:13 PM
Polishing is the way to go :D

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
06-29-2015, 02:22 AM
Personaly I don't think a Decon spray and OPC is enough to remove most waxes much less 3-layers of 845. IMO your best bet is to Decon and use a finishing polish quickly to make sure you are down to bare paint. Then do you Eraser step and go from there.

:iagree:

With three coats of a durable LSP you will need to polish the surface with a finishing polish and polishing pad to ensure the LSP is removed.

sayroger
06-29-2015, 02:43 AM
Dont take a chance. Light polish to make sure car needs to be surgically clean, you dont want to wast your time or money. Coatings need to have a good surface to bond to so they will last as long as possible. It should not take you long to polish if you have no paint correction needed.

LSNAutoDetailing
06-29-2015, 05:49 AM
This is a good thread. One that should be a sticky.

Britsdaddy
06-29-2015, 08:51 PM
Thanks for everyone's input. I'm thinking to try a test spot, maybe on one side of a fenders, to see what water beading looks like with a full decon and OPC, and on the other side a light polish. I'm trying to save polishing what doesn't need to be polished.