PDA

View Full Version : Looking for second smaller polisher...

Pages : [1] 2

lashedup
06-27-2015, 09:51 AM
So I already have a long throw DA in the tool box. I'm looking for something smaller to get into those tight areas.

- Do I look for a rotary where I have more control of the head location (as opposed to DA where the tool sweeps in a larger pattern)? If so should I get the Porter Cable or the Flex PE8?

- Or do I look for something like the Rupes 75mini?

Thanks in advance for the suggestions!

<edit>Now thinking about it, is the throw pattern on the PC 7424 less than the Rupes 75mini?

- j

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
06-27-2015, 10:00 AM
Personally for me I almost always pick up my PE14 equipped with 3" pads for tight areas as I know exactly what is going on. If I don't use this tool then my other option is the GG3.

The longer the throw of the smaller machine may not allow you to get into really tight areas.

custmsprty
06-27-2015, 10:06 AM
Rupes Mini, awesome machine and very user friendly.

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w421/custmsprty/rupes_zps5ef977ec.jpg (http://s1075.photobucket.com/user/custmsprty/media/rupes_zps5ef977ec.jpg.html)

Billy Baldone
06-27-2015, 10:21 AM
I use my PC with 3" pieces

whavens
06-27-2015, 10:34 AM
I have the GG 3" and the problem with it is that it will bog down easily. Proper technique is a must. It is perfect for applying LSPs. I have found that for under mirrors, I have better luck with my Flex with large pads, because the extra width allows me to get further under the mirror. I do like the Rupes Mini and will be adding one to my arsenal soon.

Walter

lashedup
06-29-2015, 11:55 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. Ordered a Rupes 75 mini last night and some pads.

Ccrew
06-29-2015, 12:29 PM

Good choice. I gave the 3" GG and honestly think it would be best for the wife on the lonely nights I'm on business trips. It is essentially a big red vibrator.

Vega I think it was however said that with the Rupes pads the GG can actually do correction although I have yet to try. I went the PE8 route.

lashedup
06-29-2015, 12:50 PM
Good choice. I gave the 3" GG and honestly think it would be best for the wife on the lonely nights I'm on business trips. It is essentially a big red vibrator.

LOL. Excellent. I'm guessing Griot's didn't have that idea in mind. Might kill someone... :buffing:

Kamakaz1961
06-29-2015, 12:54 PM
I use my PC with 3" pieces

:iagree: I have set my PC7424XP to handle everything from 1" Pads to 5" Pads. I have the PE8 and it is awesome. When I compound with the PE8 is just polish with the PC7424XP with the right adapters. That way there is no chances of holograms.

With the same adapters you can make any DA that accepts the PC Backing plates do the same thing.

My Flex 3401 is my primary DA

VISITOR
06-29-2015, 02:08 PM
I have the GG 3" and the problem with it is that it will bog down easily. Proper technique is a must. It is perfect for applying LSPs. I have found that for under mirrors, I have better luck with my Flex with large pads, because the extra width allows me to get further under the mirror. I do like the Rupes Mini and will be adding one to my arsenal soon.

Walter

SEMA is around the corner and who knows what's coming out, i would wait...

custmsprty
06-29-2015, 03:51 PM

Cool. you'll love it. FYI, I use the Buff & Shine 4" pads in addition to the Rupes pads and the B & S self centering are sweet too!

asalesagent912
06-29-2015, 07:00 PM
LOL. Excellent. I'm guessing Griot's didn't have that idea in mind. Might kill someone... :buffing:
I couldnt agree with you more.
When i was deciding which one to buy,the rupes or the Griot's i got cheap and bought the Griot's. Now i am regretting it and trying to decide on another one. I am considering the rupes mini or the pe8. I dont want to make the same mistake again but the pe8 i can get here with the pads for about 329.00. The rupes is 300 just for the polisher. any help here would help. are there any pros or cons to either one

custmsprty
06-29-2015, 07:16 PM
I have the Mini and the PE8, they are two totally different animals. You can burn through paint and melt plastic headlight covers in the blink of an eye with the PE8. It's a great tool but imho it demands your constant attention. The Rupes Mini is great at correcting and is very forgiving. They both have their place. You can get into tighter places with the PE8 and the smaller pads and extension for sure. But you need to be very mindful of the speeds you run the smaller pads at as heat builds up very quickly.

dlc95
06-29-2015, 07:22 PM
<edit>Now thinking about it, is the throw pattern on the PC 7424 less than the Rupes 75mini?

- j

The pc throw is 8mm, and the mini is 12.

custmsprty
06-29-2015, 07:28 PM
The pc throw is 8mm, and the mini is 12.

And the Mini is so smooooothhhhh.