PDA

View Full Version : Anyone charge strictly by the hour?

JayClark79
06-26-2015, 07:11 AM
I was wondering if anyone has no written down packages, and only discusses with the customer what they want at an agreed upon rate?

For example my buddy asked how much I would charge to detail the inside of his full size trucm, he asked for the full price no friendly discount, he told me what he needed and I gave him a price... but then he showed be the inside of his truck and it want in bad condition barely dusty, no caked on crud, and besides a little beach sand and some light pet fur the floors were pretty clean... I feel like for the package I priced him I could probably shave an hour at least off that packages rate....

So that got me thinking about just doing an hourly rate... the fact that everyone's car is different, some are filthy and some aren't so bad like this truck could greatly effect a packaged quote

Kengo123
06-26-2015, 08:32 AM
If you're mobile, most people that call want a price. At the very least you should provide them a price range , while calculating the real hourly rate in your head when you see the car. I don't think hearing the hourly rate is attractive as a customer, but you can do it without letting ththem know

4u2nvinmtl
06-26-2015, 09:49 AM
I've always had a hard time getting hourly rates as I want detailers to do the things I don't want to (undercarriage detail and carpets). One guy told me $50/hr and when I showed up for undercarriage detail and carpet shampoo he wasn't interested.

So I broke out the jack and the stands and got to work in the driveway, his loss not mine...

Paul A.
06-26-2015, 09:52 AM
I have an hourly rate and like kengo said i phone or email quote ranges based on what they want done. I also clearly stipulate varying conditions of paint and/or interior determines how much time it takes to complete what they want thus the range and i must see the vehicle first before a firm price can be negotiated. And yes, again like kengo said, i have found people don't want to hear my hourly rate...just the price i'll charge for what they want.

I used to have "packages" and still do but have gravitated more towards meeting with the potential client to evaluate the conditions, discuss with them what they want and the expectations they want and discuss what i do to give them that final result. I have found that most of my customers don't understand what a "2 Step Cut and Polish" is. Plus the fact i get customers that might get something not easily fitting in a "package". I attempt to customize a little for certain jobs/clients to give them exactly what they want. I agree with comments made here before that most customers want it clean, shiny and waxed. Yes, the more discerning customers want the "scratches removed" and then "waxed" but may not understand what it takes to give them that. Then i have a small handful of customers who actually know a little bit about detailing and understand more than most. Those are the customers i appreciate most and get enjoyment out of wow'ing them!

JayClark79
06-26-2015, 10:48 AM
What are your thoughts on package pricing being posted online?

I can definitely see someone not wanting to hear what ones hourly rate is.

Calendyr
06-26-2015, 01:30 PM
I use packages but it always come down to time for the price. What I do is explain to the Customer that the price really dépends on how long it will take to do the job. I give them a rough estimate over the phone. With a low and high price. Then when I get to the job site and review the car, if something I know will take more time I explain to them that this problem is lenghty to do and may increase the price by x amount.

If client thinks it's too expensive I can trade some things off the work list to include the problem area at the same price.

I don't use a strictly by the hour price when talking to customers, I know people want specific prices. So far giving them a range price has been ok. My range gives me 2 or 3 hours of wiggle room for long jobs and usually 1 hours for short jobs.

Hope this helps.

David Fermani
06-27-2015, 08:28 AM
I've typically always done jobs by price ranges and not hourly, but recently I've acquired certain clients with projects with too many variables so I charge them hourly whether I'm washing or doing a full blown paint correction. I certainly think doing most things by the hour puts a cap to your prices, (which isn't good), but when things/clients get complicated it's a must so I charge accordingly ($100/hr).

TFTADetail
06-27-2015, 11:55 AM
Every service I offer has a "prices starting at" & "price subject to change" shown on the company website.

Each service I offer is based upon an hourly rate x the expected average amount of time spent to completion.

Typical interior detail services are based upon $40 per hour.

Typical exterior detail services are based upon $60 per hour.

Any services that are based upon the needs and expectations of the customer's vehicle and the budget are brought to a compromise to allow the customer to get the most for their money whilst also focusing upon their expectations and needs of the vehicle.

I'll explain to the customer at the time of service that if the service looks as though it will go past the 3 hour pricing then the hourly rate will kick in as an additional cost to the service.

The majority of my work comes by way of referrals so customers are aware of the finished result to be expected and normally are OK if circumstances cause a slight increase in cost.

Outside of the normal detailing pricing; wet sanding, graphics removal etc are all set by an hourly rate. These rates range from $65 - $85 per hour.

rustytruck
06-30-2015, 07:27 PM
People need to know how much it is going to cost to get the car done. If I want to get a new house built and the builder tells me he charges $80hr I wouldn't have a clue what the house will cost.

TFTADetail
06-30-2015, 08:49 PM
Only if I am likely to go over the time the service is priced for.
Interior will go $40 per hour. Exterior @ $60 per hour.

Generally, I am able to look at a vehicle and gauge a pretty good estimate with regard to time invested. Normally clients are fine with it as I am letting them know up front.

I tend to under promise & over deliver which always makes for a happy client.

asalesagent912
06-30-2015, 11:04 PM
First off i just want to say i don't have a company.
But i do detail cars on the side. I dont have packages because I think most people dont even know what clay bar is so giving a package will just confuse them more. That is just my opinion from talking to people.
So when people ask how much i charge i tell them i have to see the car and then discuss what needs to be done and then i give them a price based on my hourly rate. after doing so many cars and trucks you should be able to figure how long a job will take. One thing for sure, never give a price without seeing the vehicle. I learned that the hard way. lol