PDA

View Full Version : Regular LC pads and Cobra pads on Rupes 21

Mikertt
06-26-2015, 04:55 AM
Hey fellow AG'ers.

I just wanted to share my experience of using some old Lake Country pads and Cobra Crossgroove pads I had in my stash. I didn't want to spend anymore money towards the Rupes 21 I had purchased. I know most people like to use the Rupes pads or Meguiar's pads with them, but I wasn't about to shell out the dough since the Rupes pads cost a bundle. I ended up taking some of the thick old LC CCS pads and mounted them on the Rupes. To my surprise, the combo worked out very good on my 2012 Chevy Cruze which is in the process of getting a two step paint correction. I paired the CCS orange light cutting pad with Menzerna FG400 and then finished off with a CCS black finishing pad with Menzerna SF4500. The first combo left quite a bit of DA haze so the SF4500 was used to clean it all up and left a wonderful gloss on the panels that I finished up. Checked with an IPA wipedown and the Rupes LED light with everything coming out great. My Cruze is in Victory Red. Also tried swapping out the CCS pads with the Cobras and they worked just as well, especially on the curved panels of my car, although the Cobras cut a little less and left more DA haze behind than the CCS pads.

Hope this helps, especially for the guys and gals that have a lot of old style pads left in their stash.

Zubair
06-30-2015, 05:17 PM
Getting my Rupes 15 soon so hoping to try my LC 5.5" and 6.5" pads on it along with the Rupes 6" and compare.