PDA

View Full Version : Contemplating removing packaged services?

Pages : [1] 2

MDX Detailing
06-25-2015, 08:51 AM
So this year I've been burned several times from things like large amounts of tar, iron deposits, extremely dirty rims etc. There is construction on every road just about in my town recently and almost every car has loads of tar the whole way up the vehicle, covering tailgates. At first I absorbed the cost of removing tar in first several vehicle's of the year. But when I noticed the trend I realized my profits were way down because of using so much tar remover I decided to start charging more for the decontamination of such things.

I advertise my mid level package as a wash, deep wheel cleaning, regular paint decon, clay bar, dressing and lsp for $97 for a car. I spend usually 2 or 3 hours on a car for this.
Example, This week I had 2 extra hours into tar removal on an escalde. Almost a full quart of tar x, about 10oz of iron x, with lots of agitation with a boars hair hand brush. I charged an extra $40 for the tar and iron removal, I didn't really make money on the decontamination but covered cost.
I didn't have this problem with every vehicle last year but this year id say 80% are severely contaminated.

I am having to add heavy decon charges onto all services.

This has me contemplating switching from packages services to ala carte / customized packages. Example, set price for the wash and rim cleaning, add on for decon, add on clay bar, add on for type of lsp, add on for polishing.
Or basic interior, add on for carpet, add on for upholstery cleaning, add on for deep plastic panel.

How is everyone handling severe contamination? Anyone not use set packages for service?

VP Mark
06-25-2015, 05:06 PM
Maybe just explain to people/on your website that tar removal and extensive decontamination is extra.

Also... why are you using just expensive products? You can get a gallon of Goof-Off for $20 that is tremendously cheaper and much more effective than Tar-X.

Combining upcharging for extra decontamination and adjusting your product usage/selection it should get you back in the black fairly easy.

glisten
06-25-2015, 06:08 PM
I offer a few different packages, all getting more expensive as they go up in quality.

Explain what each package does and what it doesn't do.

Your $97 detail does not include tar removal. But your $200 package does!

If you feel that you couldn't possibly stand the idea of leaving tar on a vehicle but your clients don't want to pay more, then just raise your prices until you price that demographic out. However, you'll probably have less work, at least at first.

You have to focus on what your clients want to pay- not what you want to do.

MDX Detailing
06-25-2015, 09:17 PM
I've tried a ton of tar removers, thought tar x worked best. Have not tried goof off though. Thank you greatly.

I'm not having any real problems with people not understanding the extra charge. I actually raised my prices from last year, it actually got me more business, a ton more. And the clients and vehicle's are definitely higher end.

It's because I'm practically customizing a package every day that I'm thinking of switching.
Like I'll get an interior that has very clean plastics and leather and only needs wiped down, but the floors are mud/salt. If you guys run into this would you tell them to upgrade to top tier package with full scrub on every surface? Even though nothing needs scrubbed but floors? Or just charge for deep clean on the floor?

dcjredline
06-25-2015, 09:34 PM
I feel your pain and struggle with this too.

Its hard for me to put out a package cause every car is individually different and some dont need parts of them deep cleaned. How can you charge for it if it doesnt need it.

W.O.T Srvices
06-25-2015, 11:15 PM
I start by not having a fixed price for my packages. I have a starting price and as i go round the vehicle with the customer i let them explain what they want fixed. This allows me to have some wiggle room i negotiating a fair price for both of us.

Calendyr
06-25-2015, 11:17 PM
How can you guys have packages that don't take into account the vehicle condition? You can't charge the same if vehicle is like new and if it had someome murdered in it (see Pulp Fiction).

All my prices are based on time it takes. If I see a car like you describe, I will explain there is an extra to remove all that tar. It's not a normal condition for a car to be a running asphalt container ;)

jarred767
06-25-2015, 11:41 PM
You should have room in your prices. Have packages, but just have them start at certain prices and you can give an exact quote after seeing the vehicle. Always do some sort of a walk through with the customer even if they don't really want to (they will usually always to after though and they'll find stuff), so the initial one is important.

Plus that's what should determine your final price. Good luck with it!

MDX Detailing
06-26-2015, 05:55 PM
You should have room in your prices. Have packages, but just have them start at certain prices and you can give an exact quote after seeing the vehicle. Always do some sort of a walk through with the customer even if they don't really want to (they will usually always to after though and they'll find stuff), so the initial one is important.

Plus that's what should determine your final price. Good luck with it!

This is what I do exactly. All my prices are starting points, not set in stone. But because I rarely do a vehicle that qualifies for the starting price, I am wondering what the point of set packages is.

MDX Detailing
06-26-2015, 06:15 PM
How can you guys have packages that don't take into account the vehicle condition? You can't charge the same if vehicle is like new and if it had someome murdered in it (see Pulp Fiction).

All my prices are based on time it takes. If I see a car like you describe, I will explain there is an extra to remove all that tar. It's not a normal condition for a car to be a running asphalt container ;)

I do take into account the vehicle condition. I always go over with the customer the condition. I fill out a form I made that has a "level of soiling" section for interior and a "level of contamination" for the exterior. Most jobs the customer doesn't have a clue what package they want so I help them pick one.

I'm just thinking , if i set my services up something like this for example
Cars;
Wash- $30
Decon - $30 -60
Clay - $50
Polish - $ 100
Chrome polish $40
Sealant -20
Wax - 40
Heavy brake dust -20-40

No packages since I never really follow a package exactly. Not thinking of listing this on my site this way but just for myself when estimating.

Scott@IncrediblyDetailed
06-26-2015, 10:08 PM
Package things together and go over the vehicle with the customer before locking in a price. I will never give a committed price without seeing the vehicle and if you actually talk and show the owner the issues (more than likely they are oblivious) they'll understand.

"Due to the excessive amount of (whatever), it's going to be $$$$ more if you would like this taken care of, I can honor the $97 base price on my website, but understand it does not account for excessive/abnormal dirt."

I found that once I really started looking at the vehicle and pointing things out to the owners my "up selling" was more of an education of the actual condition of their vehicle. Most people are clueless and appreciate a small "detailing education" of what you're going to do and why you're doing it.

If the scrub and rub down the street with remove the tar with their $60 exterior package let them lose the money, and that will free up time for you to work on the business and acquire profitable customers.

MDX Detailing
06-26-2015, 11:16 PM
Completely agree. That is why I've been having to add heavy contaminant charges onto almost all vehicles recently. And why I've been customizing every package per the job and contemplating just using customized services without packaged offerings.

Why do we all use packaged services if we all customize them so much depending on condition? What is the advantage of a pre packaged service over just customizing during the estimate?

Calendyr
06-27-2015, 12:40 AM
Completely agree. That is why I've been having to add heavy contaminant charges onto almost all vehicles recently. And why I've been customizing every package per the job and contemplating just using customized services without packaged offerings.

Why do we all use packaged services if we all customize them so much depending on condition? What is the advantage of a pre packaged service over just customizing during the estimate?

Because that is what clients want.

MDX Detailing
06-28-2015, 02:51 PM
It is? Customers want to pay for a level 3 package when all the vehicle needs is a level 2.5.
So if the vehicle has a flawless interior,but has one section that needs a stain removed, they would want to pay for a full interior deep cleaning instead of a basic cleaning with a spot removal?

Kengo123
06-28-2015, 03:48 PM
What about having prepackaged services without pricing, then figuring out what the customer exactly needs over the phone and in person