PDA

View Full Version : How to tackle this one

medicscott
06-24-2015, 02:27 PM
So my mother has no idea how this happened to her rear bumper on her new G35. From the looks of it it's the size of a thumbnail and the piece is still attached. She doesn't want a new bumper and to go through insurance. My thoughts were for a quick fix to bend back the piece that is indented and once it's even throw a small coat of epoxy over it, sand it down and throw some Dr. Colorchip over it. From the pic it looks really big but like I said it's rather small. Looking for some guidance, auto body work is far from my expertise. Thanks.

medicscott
06-25-2015, 03:41 AM
**Bump**

TroyScherer
06-25-2015, 06:01 AM
Unless you have serious body shop skills this will never look right. IMO it is a bumper replacement or see if body shop can fix it. They would know better than us most likely.

Mike@ShineStruck
06-25-2015, 06:44 AM
Plastic welding! YouTube some videos
Get a dremel and slightly trim the damaged areas to make slight gap for plastic weld..then smooth weld and comense

4u2nvinmtl
06-25-2015, 10:04 AM
Plastic welds with a repaint/blend should work. You'll have to remove the bumper and find a piece of plastic to brace behind while doing the plastic welds. Then you'll have to sand it flat...

Or you could crazy glue it.

Or you could fill it with Bondo (body filler) and sand it down and repaint.

The easiest and likely most cost effective is a new bumper cover.

medicscott
06-25-2015, 04:44 PM
Going to go with bondo, sand down, touch up and some praying I don't screw it up more!

Plastic welds with a repaint/blend should work. You'll have to remove the bumper and find a piece of plastic to brace behind while doing the plastic welds. Then you'll have to sand it flat...

Or you could crazy glue it.

Or you could fill it with Bondo (body filler) and sand it down and repaint.

The easiest and likely most cost effective is a new bumper cover.