PDA

View Full Version : Tire cleaner - needed?

Pages : [1] 2

budman3
09-09-2007, 11:24 AM
I haven't found too many products that clean tires very well. Westley's Bleche White is decent but I've heard that it can turn tires gray after a while. My previous wheel and tire cleaner was Eagle One Wheel and Tire Cleaner. It was also decent... it cleaned the wheels well but the tires could have used some more cleaning. Way back when I used to use Simple Green and that worked but I stopped using it in fear of doing damage to other products. I am currently using Poorboy's APC to clean the tires and it does well. It's dilutable but I'm still looking for something that'll go a long way yet not hurt the bank.

I've heard that Amazing Roll Off does a good job at cleaning tires. However at $25 a gallon, I can get a dedicated tire cleaner that is dilutable up to 1:1 for half the price.

So what are you guys currently using to clean your tires with? Thanks for any help.

carnut00
09-09-2007, 11:32 AM
I am using the Meguiars APC and at 15 bucks for a gallon and diluted about 7 to 1 it will be around for a while before I have to consider buying more.

Jimmie
09-09-2007, 11:40 AM
ARO, and sure enough you can watch the brown gunk just roll-off. Still using Westley's on white lettering.

02CAMSS
09-09-2007, 11:42 AM
dp gel wheel cleaner works good on tires also.

mixxer
09-09-2007, 02:33 PM
the surf city beyond steel wheels cleans the rims and the tires awesome !

Thejoyofdriving
09-09-2007, 04:08 PM
I am using the Meguiars APC and at 15 bucks for a gallon and diluted about 7 to 1 it will be around for a while before I have to consider buying more.

You know that that is a HIGHLY caustic cleaner right? Megs APC has a PH of 12.2 at a dilution of 9:1. I think you might be causing some damage to those tires there buddy watch out. Im not sure what PH is safe for tires but 12 is way way up there.

Thejoyofdriving
09-09-2007, 04:12 PM
Back on topic I think it is essential to use a cleaner prior to applying a tire dressing, it looks better and lasts longer. Griots rubber cleaner or 303 aerospace cleaner 30:1. Griots rubber cleaner does a really good job at cleaning the tires, i like it a lot.

Pauly6401
09-09-2007, 05:03 PM
I use DP Gel Wheel Cleaner as well on both the tires and the wheels, and just scrub the tires with a brush too. Seems to get them clean.

carnut00
09-09-2007, 05:33 PM
You know that that is a HIGHLY caustic cleaner right? Megs APC has a PH of 12.2 at a dilution of 9:1. I think you might be causing some damage to those tires there buddy watch out. Im not sure what PH is safe for tires but 12 is way way up there.

I did not know that. Thanks for bringing that to my attention, now to find a tire cleaner. :(

Surfer
09-09-2007, 05:35 PM
Westley's Bleche White is decent but I've heard that it can turn tires gray after a while. Thats all I've used for years, never had a tire go grey or anything with it, one of the best cleaners around if not the best as it really penetrates the tires and cleaners white lettering well.

Duragloss makes a great tire cleaner as well, Duragloss Whitewall Tire Cleaner (WTC) #701 (http://www.autogeek.net/duragloss-whitewall-tire-cleaner.html)

Thejoyofdriving
09-09-2007, 06:08 PM
I did not know that. Thanks for bringing that to my attention, now to find a tire cleaner. :(

There are plenty of boutique tire cleaners that are safe, I dont know of any OTC ones though.

budman3
09-09-2007, 06:49 PM
Back on topic I think it is essential to use a cleaner prior to applying a tire dressing, it looks better and lasts longer. Griots rubber cleaner or 303 aerospace cleaner 30:1. Griots rubber cleaner does a really good job at cleaning the tires, i like it a lot.

I know that cleaning tires is necessary but my question is whether it is necessary to use a full blown tire cleaner or use an APC type product instead.

I'll have to look into the Duragloss Tire cleaner. There aren't too many products specifically designed for tire cleaning. The one I'm currently looking at is TOLs Tire Cleaner and ARO as an APC or another brand of APC. Who knows, I may dilute the PB APC down a little more so it'll last longer yet still be effective.

Surfer- I vaguely remember someone years ago talking about the Westley's and something detrimental to tires. I've used it quite a bit, and it cleans decently, but the end results weren't spectacular, IMO. But all tires are different and some react well to some products where other tires won't come clean or dress properly.

Reddwarf
09-09-2007, 07:42 PM
I recently tried ARO and love the stuff! I believe you can dilute it. As Jimmie said, you can see the brown gunk drip off after spraying on ARO.

Tonya
09-09-2007, 08:13 PM
I recently tried ARO and love the stuff! I believe you can dilute it. As Jimmie said, you can see the brown gunk drip off after spraying on ARO.
:iagree: With Jimmie and Reddwarf ARO is great!

carnut00
09-09-2007, 08:30 PM
I got some eagle one tire and wheel cleaner on clearance. Does anybody know if it is dilutable?