PDA

View Full Version : 2 part question on LSP longevity

Busy mind
06-23-2015, 12:08 AM
In an effort to try and establish myself as "different" in my area my campaign has been around using long lasting products, and trying to push the fact that my protection will last longer than budget wash/wax places. Many people still only know of wax and don't have a clue about sealants or hybrids (especially coatings).

Do the majority of your clients care about long term protection, or are they happy to have "shiny" for a couple weeks? Does the longevity claim give you an edge?

Second related question is based around my longevity claims.

I'm trying out multiple products to see what works best for me. How can I claim product X will last 18 months without testing it myself? Am I meant to take the word from the manufacturer?
I want to be confident in my claims and what I offer, but the more I read on forums, the more differing opinions I get.

davey g-force
06-23-2015, 12:47 AM
I would steer away from making claims about different products' durability. There's just too many variables involved.

Maybe just use broad statements like "6-12 months protection" or something similar..

FUNX650
06-23-2015, 08:04 AM
Another "Ripley"?

-Even if you would decide to put your LSP Longevity
Campaign on hold for, (use the example of 18 months),
in order to conduct your own testing...would you be
able to provide robust, scientific evidence to support
your claims?

-Manufacturers have the FTC watch dogs looking
to pounce on them if there are reports of false
advertising. (That doesn't automatically mean there will
be fines levied; or a Cease&Desist order issued.)

-Meanwhile, your customers' choices for their vehicles'
LSPs comes down to: "Believe It or Not"!

Just a few of my thoughts.

Bob

Calendyr
06-23-2015, 03:38 PM
I give broad general statements to my customers.

for my quick wax I say it offers about a month of protection. Wax about 3 months and sealants about 6 months. If they ask I explain the different variables.

I am sure some of my clients are getting a year out of the sealant, it's all so relative!

I would not make claims about durability though, for some clients I am certain the LSP if gone in no time. One of the cars I did the guy uses a brush to wash it. That thing must strip LSP in no time!

silverfox
06-23-2015, 05:04 PM
Longevity claims to clients is only valid if the customer is paying you to maintain it. If the customer is doing it...ALL bets are off.

Busy mind
06-24-2015, 12:02 PM
Another "Ripley"?

-Even if you would decide to put your LSP Longevity
Campaign on hold for, (use the example of 18 months),
in order to conduct your own testing...would you be
able to provide robust, scientific evidence to support
your claims?

-Manufacturers have the FTC watch dogs looking
to pounce on them if there are reports of false
advertising. (That doesn't automatically mean there will
be fines levied; or a Cease&Desist order issued.)

-Meanwhile, your customers' choices for their vehicles'
LSPs comes down to: "Believe It or Not"!

Just a few of my thoughts.

Bob

That right there is an entire discussion on its own that would lead to hurt feelings and probably get shut down due to speculation. Life would be much easier if all claims were true and didn't contain any fine print excuses.

I would like to tell my customers with confidence about the longevity, but you're all right about there being too many variables. When I do make claims, I usually preface it with "with proper maintenance..."

Bunky
06-24-2015, 12:49 PM
When I do make claims, I usually preface it with "with proper maintenance..."

Some can say they use a once a year car polish!