PDA

View Full Version : Brand new hellcat, rotary?

Pages : [1] 2

jonn127
06-22-2015, 08:17 PM
Question...... There is a 2015 hellcat, owner has had it for only two months and is wanting a detail. The guy he plans on using is old school and uses a rotary or nothing at all. It makes me cringe to think a guy taking a rotary to a brand new hellcat. I'm afraid he is going to take a wool pad to it, follow it with a glaze, and make it look great on pick up, but cause long term damage. Do I try to educate the owner first? Not trying to steal a client, but damn, it's a hellcat.
Here is the little catch, it's at a shop that I started but am no longer involved with, but I built a solid reputation to where word got around that I was the go to guy. So this hellcat owner whom is extremely anal from what I hear is about to give his car to an old school detAiler.

builthatch
06-22-2015, 08:20 PM
Question...... There is a 2015 hellcat, owner has had it for only two months and is wanting a detail. The guy he plans on using is old school and uses a rotary or nothing at all. It makes me cringe to think a guy taking a rotary to a brand new hellcat. I'm afraid he is going to take a wool pad to it, follow it with a glaze, and make it look great on pick up, but cause long term damage. Do I try to educate the owner first? Not trying to steal a client, but damn, it's a hellcat.
Here is the little catch, it's at a shop that I started but am no longer involved with, but I built a solid reputation to where word got around that I was the go to guy. So this hellcat owner whom is extremely anal from what I hear is about to give his car to an old school detAiler.

you can warn him as professionally as possible to see if the guy bites. if he doesn't, hopefully he'll come back to you if the old school dude messes it up. but a rotary isn't necessary a bad thing for the noobs reading this thread. i know industry dudes who corrected with primarily rotaries for years with fantastic results. with the pad and abrasive tech nowadays, it's probably even easier to do it right if you know what the heck you are doing.

Docpeanut
06-22-2015, 08:22 PM
Word didn't get to the owner of the car. Leave a sleeping dog lie, meaning it's not your concern. Focus on your customers, don't worry about anything else.

custmsprty
06-22-2015, 08:26 PM
Word didn't get to the owner of the car. Leave a sleeping dog lie, meaning it's not your concern. Focus on your customers, don't worry about anything else.

:iagree:

Let it go.

KMdef9
06-22-2015, 08:31 PM
Who is this guy?

A friend, a client, someone who passed though at your job?

jonn127
06-22-2015, 08:32 PM

I'm thinking I Agree with you, but it's a friend that now owns the shop, but doesn't do the work. The guyi guess has 2 bottles of product, a compound and a glaze/polish.

custmsprty
06-22-2015, 08:37 PM
You can't save them all.

This new GS350 F Sport is a case in point. I saw it in my local grocery store parking lot. Hacked to heck by a rotary. $55,000 car beat to a pulp. Even looks like a burn through on the F Sport logo. The irony was my GC was parked about ten spots away and I took that picture of mine that same day.

My thoughts were the same as yours but like I said, we can't save them all.

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w421/custmsprty/LexuzIS250swirledout2_zps91597bf8.jpg (http://s1075.photobucket.com/user/custmsprty/media/LexuzIS250swirledout2_zps91597bf8.jpg.html)

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w421/custmsprty/LexuzIS250swirledout1_zpsd9b98111.jpg (http://s1075.photobucket.com/user/custmsprty/media/LexuzIS250swirledout1_zpsd9b98111.jpg.html)

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w421/custmsprty/BlackFireMidnightSun2_zpsbbe0213c.jpg (http://s1075.photobucket.com/user/custmsprty/media/BlackFireMidnightSun2_zpsbbe0213c.jpg.html)

davey g-force
06-22-2015, 09:23 PM
Just because he's using a rotary, doesn't mean he will hack it up.

If he's old school, then chances are he knows what he's doing...

jonn127
06-22-2015, 09:29 PM

Even using nothing but wool pads? You are thinking this guy can buff and finish down with a rotary and wool pads? Plus the guys main job is doing auction prep work, just buffs the hell out of cars to where sure they look great when done and go to auction.

custmsprty
06-22-2015, 09:31 PM
Even using nothing but wool pads? You are thinking this guy can buff and finish down with a rotary and wool pads?

Yeah, I hear you. The only guy I'd let near my car with a rotary would be Mike and I'm guessing he'd use a da. :buffing:

jonn127
06-22-2015, 09:35 PM
By the way, love the quote davey gforce, I have that curse as well.

jonn127
06-22-2015, 09:37 PM
Yeah, I hear you. The only guy I'd let near my car with a rotary would be Mike and I'm guessing he'd use a da. :buffing:

Exactly. I mean again the car is two months old and really? A rotary with wool pads? Why sacrifice the clear?

richy
06-23-2015, 10:31 AM

Even using nothing but wool pads? You are thinking this guy can buff and finish down with a rotary and wool pads? Plus the guys main job is doing auction prep work, just buffs the hell out of cars to where sure they look great when done and go to auction.

Being a dinosaur myself, I agree with Davey. I haven't posted it yet-it'll be my next one-but I used a rotary with wool @1800 rpm + Menz Powergloss to remove scratches that would NOT budge otherwise on an old Corvette. This "old school" guy got them out. The other thing is that if you ever ready any of my write ups in Show & Shine, you'll see that a go-to method of mine for improving (even brand new paint) is to use a black TB wool pad + Flex 3401 + M105. I have a very specific method I use that produces incredible results.
Now, having said that, the Flex is more forgiving and a gentler tool than using a rotary with wool. You can really finesse it with the Flex. Your point about the guy only using those 2 steps is valid. You need to have a crapload amount of tools (polishers/pads/compounds/polishes) in order to conquer everything that will eventually come your way.
I just resent it when people bash a rotary when it is still an amazing tool in capable hands.

custmsprty
06-23-2015, 12:20 PM
The Show and Shine Zach posted yesterday says it all. If they got those results with Rupes and GG6 on that trashed Mustang I cannot understand using a rotary regardless on a new vehicle, Hellcat or not. Aren't we taught to start with the least aggressive approach?

Though I haven't seen the vehicle I'd bet HD Polish or Speed topped with Poxy would have be a great combination and would exhibit excellent results with a da.

That's the combo I used on my last two new car preps, Speed, Poxy, Rupes Duetto, Mini LC Orange, LC Black on LSP. The results were outstanding.

And Richy, you do outstanding work and I enjoy all your posts. And your skill level is far above the average production detailers. Not too mention mine too where rotaries are concerned. I just got a PE8 and it's a handful. I wouldn't touch a full size one without proper training and lots of beater junk yard panels to practice on that's for sure LOL!!!!

That being said, what's the percentage of guys wielding rotaries that actually know what their doing. I see way more hacked up vehicles with buffer trails all over them than not.

jonn127
06-23-2015, 12:28 PM
Being a dinosaur myself, I agree with Davey. I haven't posted it yet-it'll be my next one-but I used a rotary with wool @1800 rpm + Menz Powergloss to remove scratches that would NOT budge otherwise on an old Corvette. This "old school" guy got them out. The other thing is that if you ever ready any of my write ups in Show & Shine, you'll see that a go-to method of mine for improving (even brand new paint) is to use a black TB wool pad + Flex 3401 + M105. I have a very specific method I use that produces incredible results.
Now, having said that, the Flex is more forgiving and a gentler tool than using a rotary with wool. You can really finesse it with the Flex. Your point about the guy only using those 2 steps is valid. You need to have a crapload amount of tools (polishers/pads/compounds/polishes) in order to conquer everything that will eventually come your way.
I just resent it when people bash a rotary when it is still an amazing tool in capable hands.

This thread was not meant as a rotary bash, it was meant to pose a question of isn't using a rotary on a brand new Hellcat a tad bit overkill? I understand plenty of people can do amazing jobs with a rotary.
My basic point was this:
Isn't it wrong to buff on a new car with a rotary with wool pads and only using a compound and a glaze/polish/all in one if you will?

I've seen your work Richy, I know you are the man!! I apologize if I didn't translate my thoughts to words adequately.