PDA

View Full Version : Zep Products?

TheAverageMan
06-22-2015, 01:19 PM
I use their ammonia free concentrate for glass, and saw they have a bunch of other products

I wanted to get their Orange degreaser, but it says not for automotive use. Ive also read that teir Fast 505 degreaser makes a great wheel cleaner.

Anyone got input or tips on Zep products?

parttimer
06-22-2015, 02:43 PM
I have used Citrus for a long time, I dilute 4:1. I use 505 for tires and wheel wells at 4:1.

TheAverageMan
06-22-2015, 03:20 PM
Do you use the Citus on exterior paint? I wanted to use it for bugs, but the back said its not to be used on auto paint. So i got 3D orange degreaser instead.

Mantilgh
06-22-2015, 05:16 PM
I just ordered some of the 3D Orange Degreaser too last week. The gallon is on backorder right now.

After reading the MSDS I am not sure I want to use it on interiors. They say it is safe at proper dilution. MSDS says it contains less 3 percent Sodium Hydroxide.

Is Sodium Hydroxide safe on interiors at a certain dilution?

Comparing it to the Zep MSDS, Zep seems safer. I am no chemist though.

I think I'm going to get some MPC Orange Solv from a local cleaning supply store. Much more active ingredient, and can dilute more.

conman1395
06-22-2015, 05:42 PM
I just ordered some of the 3D Orange Degreaser too last week. The gallon is on backorder right now.

After reading the MSDS I am not sure I want to use it on interiors. They say it is safe at proper dilution. MSDS says it contains less 3 percent Sodium Hydroxide.

Is Sodium Hydroxide safe on interiors at a certain dilution?

Comparing it to the Zep MSDS, Zep seems safer. I am no chemist though.

I think I'm going to get some MPC Orange Solv from a local cleaning supply store. Much more active ingredient, and can dilute more.
On interiors, it's better to use something like D101. It's inexpensive and will last a LONG time. I have had mine for almost two years I think. It is used at a 10:1 dilution so one gallon can make 10 gallons.
It'll make that 3D Orange Degreaser last even longer.

Mantilgh
06-22-2015, 05:56 PM
^ You are correct sir. I do not intend to use for all interior cleaning, just as a spot cleaner where needed on carpets and upholstery, and maybe on certain stains on vinyl or leather.

Oh, sorry for jacking the thread. I started another

CDot
06-22-2015, 06:57 PM
I've used 505 on tires to great effect

builthatch
06-22-2015, 08:03 PM
i use one of their carpet products diluted 1:1 for an enzymatic pre-treatment. i forget which one, it's a red bottle. works great on carpets in the car and in the house, esp. my green machine.

parttimer
06-23-2015, 07:29 AM
I use 505 in my foam cannon for a pre soak. I use citrus for the entire interior, but it is of course diluted. I have used 505 and citrus on door jambs that are coated with grease and muck.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n176/parttimer_2006/2011%20Jeep/Jeep21.jpg (http://s112.photobucket.com/user/parttimer_2006/media/2011%20Jeep/Jeep21.jpg.html)

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n176/parttimer_2006/2011%20Jeep/Jeep2.jpg (http://s112.photobucket.com/user/parttimer_2006/media/2011%20Jeep/Jeep2.jpg.html)

Firehouse Mike
06-23-2015, 07:38 AM
I've been using the Industrial Purple degreaser at 8:1 for engines and wheels / wheel wells, their APC ( green ) at 10:1 for interior use and the Citrus Orange at 10:1 also for carpet / mat spotting. I use their Extractor Shampoo with some Folex with very good results. I love the fact I can pop into local stores and pick up some at any time. The APC and Citrus Degreaser, I feel are VERY similar to Megs D101 and D103 in performance, color and scent. I'm quite sure they are not related at all but.......

Mike

Audios S6
06-23-2015, 08:04 AM
I use the citrus degreaser all the time for engines. I'll also use it with a foaming sprayer and horsehair brush to do hard interior surfaces that are in bad shape or have solvent based dressings.

richy
06-23-2015, 08:46 AM
I have been a huge advocate of Zep products for many years now. Someone on one of these boards had first steered me towards them and I've never turned back! Here's what I use and how:
1) Citrus: Cut 4-1 and use on wheels and also on paint for bugs. (What I do is rinse first, spray the Citrus and then go over the area with a bug sponge soaked with car wash soap)
2) 505: Amazing on tires! I use it straight or cut about 20%
3) Carpet Shampoo and High Traffic Carpet Shampoo are both great for use with an extractor.
4) I used to use the Purple Degreaser for tires and engines, but it makes me cough so badly I no longer use it.
5) They make a great CLR equivalent.

Their products work well, are priced well and are available at several big stores without incurring shipping costs.

DBAILEY
06-24-2015, 03:32 AM
I've been using the Industrial Purple degreaser at 8:1 for engines and wheels / wheel wells, their APC ( green ) at 10:1 for interior use and the Citrus Orange at 10:1 also for carpet / mat spotting. I use their Extractor Shampoo with some Folex with very good results. I love the fact I can pop into local stores and pick up some at any time. The APC and Citrus Degreaser, I feel are VERY similar to Megs D101 and D103 in performance, color and scent. I'm quite sure they are not related at all but.......

Mike

Be very careful with the Industrial Purple degreaser. It is truly industrial. Don't get it on your skin or breathe the vapors. I am surprised that it is sold as a consumer product. I loved it as a tire cleaner until someone clued me in on the potential health problems. My buddy used it to degrease the shop floor of his then new-to-him detail shop. Power washed the floor afterwards to make things worse in regards to the vapors. He had serious respiratory problems for about 2 months after with asthma and pneumonia like symptoms

silverfox
06-24-2015, 04:38 AM
Be careful with industrial chemicals, especially on tires. Just because a product cleans and is cheap... doesn't make it safe, or in the case of tires...can actually do long term harm .