PDA

View Full Version : Mike - question on my new Boss 15 - conflicting info

S4Dallas
06-22-2015, 12:28 PM
Hi Mike,

The GG video shows them "buttering" the pad. Yet many people say do not prime the pad on a long throw (at least for the Rupes) as it will sling product.

Based on yout time with the new tool, which is correct for my new Boss 15 with the Boss pads?

Thank you.

custmsprty
06-22-2015, 12:35 PM
If you don't mind me chiming in, I prime the whole pad. I move the pad around a little on the surface before turning the machine on at speed 1, I then move it around a few passes and then crank it up. The only time I ever have an issue with sling is if I get product on the edges of the pad.

Legacykid
06-22-2015, 12:47 PM
If you don't mind me chiming in, I prime the whole pad. I move the pad around a little on the surface before turning the machine on at speed 1, I then move it around a few passes and then crank it up. The only time I ever have an issue with sling is if I get product on the edges of the pad.

+1 Exactly how I do it, no issues.

Mike Phillips
06-22-2015, 12:53 PM
Hi Mike,

The GG video shows them "buttering" the pad. Yet many people say do not prime the pad on a long throw (at least for the Rupes) as it will sling product.

That's my experience. RUPES recommend simply applying three drops of product to the pad like this,

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=95287

:)

S4Dallas
06-22-2015, 12:57 PM
Thanks guys and Mike. The thought of a dry pad up against my paint makes me nervous.

Mike Phillips
06-22-2015, 01:02 PM
If you don't mind me chiming in,

I prime the whole pad.

I move the pad around a little on the surface before turning the machine on at speed 1,

I then move it around a few passes and then crank it up.

The only time I ever have an issue with sling is if I get product on the edges of the pad.

If you do it like you describe this will work too. :dblthumb2:

The reason why is because by moving the pad around on the surface, (kind of the Jason Rose Method of priming a pad), you don't have these globs of product that will want to sling outward as soon as you turn on the machine.

There's also another difference between the Griot's BOSS tools and the RUPES tools and that's the Plunger style trigger that allows you to control the speed from 0 to 5000 OPM.

As long as you ease into the speed using the 1 setting or the plunger trigger you should be able to avoid splatter.

Priming the entire face of a pad has always made sense to me. This is something Kevin Brown made popular for good reasons.

I would note that the entire time I worked for Meguiar's the official recommendation of Meguiar's during this time was to make a simple X pattern of product on the face of the pad when using their dual action polisher.

Millions of cars have been successfully de-swirled using all three techniques.

It's all about putting in your time behind the buffer to find out the approach that works best for you and you're buffing style.

When I showed the 3 nickle sized drops on the face of the pad I was simply showing what I already knew to work but with the differences in the design of the BOSS polishers I can see priming the pad.

There are also other factors which come into play. For example if I'm using the RUPES system I'm sticking with the 3 nickel sized drops of product. I find out of all the options it tends to work the best.

The key with the RUPES BigFoot 15 and 21 is that as SOON as you pull the trigger at the SAME TIME start moving the polisher to get the glob of product spread out and trapped under the face of the pad. After you buff out cars for a while things like this become second nature.

Mike Phillips
06-22-2015, 01:03 PM
Thanks guys and Mike. The thought of a dry pad up against my paint makes me nervous.

Especially when using aggressive pads on scratch-sensitive paint.

custmsprty
06-22-2015, 01:15 PM
And just to clarify, since I didn't mention it in my original post, the technique I mentioned above is with my new GG21.

On the Rupes system I've always been doing it how Mike mentioned above, the three drops on the pad face.

S4Dallas
06-22-2015, 01:15 PM
Thanks Mike for taking the time with a detailed response.

Mike Phillips
06-22-2015, 01:17 PM
Thanks Mike for taking the time with a detailed response.

Thank you for appreciating it.

Just never been a one-liner kind of poster...

:D

ski2
06-22-2015, 05:09 PM

Some products like HD Cut, HD Polish, HD Adapt don't work well with a primed pad (on a standard DA or long throw DA). Just 5-6 pea sized drops for the first section then 3-4 for each additional panel. Spread it around using low speed then crank it up. Been using these products for 4 years now with no ill effects to the paint and great results.

d33p
06-22-2015, 06:44 PM
They are both long throw polishers, so why do you need to prime the pad differently? Either way you can move the pad around the surface of the paint before starting the machine.

budpln
06-22-2015, 06:55 PM
Isn't that what pad conditioner is for?