PDA

View Full Version : Best nano coat?

TS656577
06-22-2015, 08:48 AM
Hey everyone. It's been quite some time since I've been active. I really hope that changes. At any rate, with the increase in nano coats and such over the last few years, which ones do you guys find to be the longest lasting and/or most resistant to scratches and swirls? If the CQuartz Finest works like they say then that seems like a good option except needing to be at least am established LLC. So I'm looking for everyone's thoughts. Thanks in advance!

Mike@ShineStruck
06-22-2015, 09:26 AM
My 2 guesses would be Cquartz and element 119s system X
blackfire released the most recent coating.
S in nce my paint isnt the greatest and its lacquer.. im tempted to buy a few samples and do test sections for like alkaline, salt, battery acid/brake fluid fluid ..and or metal msheets submerged in those

Mask
06-22-2015, 09:42 AM
Any reputable coating should last long enough with a "Topper" :D
Scratch resistance? No way :p

eaglefan
06-22-2015, 09:53 AM
I recently applied CQ UK to my vivid black Harley. This is the softest paint I have ever dealt with. It would mar with waterless washes, which is all it usually needs. So, after talking with Corey about this I applied the coating. So far, no marring from waterless washes. Same MF, same everything. Super happy with the outcome, excellent product.

TS656577
06-22-2015, 01:31 PM
Any reputable coating should last long enough with a "Topper" :D
Scratch resistance? No way :p

I've used both the Opticoat and standard CQuartz. I think Opticoat may last a tad longer but I was curious if any of the coatings out there are harder such that they resist scratches a bit better

builthatch
06-22-2015, 01:49 PM
I've used both the Opticoat and standard CQuartz. I think Opticoat may last a tad longer but I was curious if any of the coatings out there are harder such that they resist scratches a bit better

the science would agree with your basic assessment. Opti-Coat will last longer than CQF. CQF is based on silane resins, Opti-Coat on ceramic resins. there are a million anecdotes of a millions situations by a million people with a million variables, but the bare bones fact is the chemistry says Opti-Coat will last longer than CQF and is more robust. i am not a chemist, but i inquired with the manufacturer, who is a chemist, and someone i know to be trustworthy, and he told me exactly this. feel free to contact Dr. G from OPT for more info.

as far as scratch resistance, this is public info: http://opticoat.com.au/XC3166CoatingTesting.pdf

there are countless useful threads on this subject, just a heads up in case you aren't aware.

TS656577
06-22-2015, 02:04 PM
Thanks builthatch. I attempted searching this but came up with a ton of other stuff that wasn't relevant. It could have been my search criteria.

builthatch
06-22-2015, 02:52 PM
Thanks builthatch. I attempted searching this but came up with a ton of other stuff that wasn't relevant. It could have been my search criteria.

no prob. yeah there is a lot of BS to sift through too. sorry i didn't mean to sound condescending with that thread mention, it's just that i've seen some pretty intense banter on here regarding coatings and wanted to make sure i put that out there :)