PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Rubber Floor Mats without Free Flowing Water

kuji
06-22-2015, 12:17 AM
Hey boys and girls, kinda dumb question and I apologize if this has been brought up before; is it possible to get rubber floor mats clean without having a water source?
I do have a Mytee Firebird steamer so my idea would be to use a brush on the mats to knock off as many of the heavy stuff as possible, spray with APC or Degreaser and scrub, then 'steam' the junk away with the steamer, and wipe.
I've always wondered how guys who are mobile and don't have access to water either at the customers house or their own supply, clean rubber floor mats. Discuss :)

Cheers
Phil

hoyt66
06-22-2015, 04:32 AM
Hey boys and girls, kinda dumb question and I apologize if this has been brought up before; is it possible to get rubber floor mats clean without having a water source?
I do have a Mytee Firebird steamer so my idea would be to use a brush on the mats to knock off as many of the heavy stuff as possible, spray with APC or Degreaser and scrub, then 'steam' the junk away with the steamer, and wipe.
I've always wondered how guys who are mobile and don't have access to water either at the customers house or their own supply, clean rubber floor mats. Discuss :)

Cheers
Phil

I clean them in a five gl bucket in the winter. Works good but if your mobile you'll have to transport a sealed bucket of water. Good luck
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tips-techniques-how-articles-interacting-discussion-forums/89211-how-i-clean-my-all-weather-mats-winter.html

DogRescuer
06-22-2015, 04:48 AM
The steamer is your water source

TuxedoTaurus
06-22-2015, 07:13 AM
Steam cleaning rubber mats is IME the best way to clean them. It always restores mine to how they looked when I bought them. I do it every 6 months.

Another great way is mothers back-to-black tire renew. Just spray on wait a minute or so and wipe off.

http://www.autogeek.net/mothers-back-to-black-tire-renew.html?productid=mothers-back-to-black-tire-renew&channelid=FROOG&utm_source=CSEs&utm_medium=GoogleProductSearch&utm_campaign=CSE&gclid=CjwKEAjw5J6sBRDp3ty_17KZyWsSJABgp-Oab_w3DkTx9f0Q295QJHn3DaS3ArRq9Pev20e4MHFNwxoCIknw _wcB

Buckskincolt
06-22-2015, 08:26 AM
I'd think the new Blackfire ALL-IN-ONE Trim and Tire would be perfect for this! Maybe MARC 08 can chime in here with a quick test and review how it works.

Audios S6
06-22-2015, 09:28 AM
Scrubbing with an APC then steaming is exactly how I do foot pedals in cars, works well. Just make sure you've rinsed all the APC away.

TuxedoTaurus
06-22-2015, 09:44 AM
I'd think the new Blackfire ALL-IN-ONE Trim and Tire would be perfect for this! Maybe MARC 08 can chime in here with a quick test and review how it works.

That may dry to the touch, but I think it may leave a slick surface. I have not used it, but going of using other water based cleaner/protestants.

Mantilgh
06-22-2015, 10:13 AM
Nick replied to a similar question in this thread:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/new-car-care-products/92442-review-new-blackfire-all-one-trim-tire-protectant-3.html

Originally Posted by willieg
"I know we shouldn't/don't use tire dressing on rubber floor mats. Would that still hold true with this new product?"

Nick
"I tend to err on the side of caution and say NO. You can try it for yourself, but I don't recommend it."

LSNAutoDetailing
06-22-2015, 10:16 AM
How is DP APC?

Firehouse Mike
06-22-2015, 11:06 AM
Steam cleaning rubber mats is IME the best way to clean them. It always restores mine to how they looked when I bought them. I do it every 6 months.

Another great way is mothers back-to-black tire renew. Just spray on wait a minute or so and wipe off.

Mothers Back to Black Tire Renew, tire cleaner (http://www.autogeek.net/mothers-back-to-black-tire-renew.html?productid=mothers-back-to-black-tire-renew&channelid=FROOG&utm_source=CSEs&utm_medium=GoogleProductSearch&utm_campaign=CSE&gclid=CjwKEAjw5J6sBRDp3ty_17KZyWsSJABgp-Oab_w3DkTx9f0Q295QJHn3DaS3ArRq9Pev20e4MHFNwxoCIknw _wcB)

Please do NOT use any type of dressing product on floor mats!!! It will transfer onto shoes then to pedals with ensuing bad outcomes :doh:

TuxedoTaurus
06-22-2015, 11:15 AM
Please do NOT use any type of dressing product on floor mats!!! It will transfer onto shoes then to pedals with ensuing bad outcomes :doh:

Tire renew is not a dressing but a waterless tire cleaner. Spray on, wipe off, then dress with your favorite dressing. It is a dedicated cleaner, not a cleaner/protector.