PDA

View Full Version : Polishing recommendations for new BMW with Sparkling Brown paint

mintz
06-21-2015, 08:53 PM
First time poster. I've done plenty of research on the site, but I'm still not sure which polishing products to get for my new BMW 3 with a Sparkling Brown metallic (it has flakes inside), so I wanted to ask if any of you have any experience with this color.

The car is only two months old, and I've only hand washed it (two bucket method / rinseless) since, but the paint did have plenty of swirls from the dealer.

I've heard great things about Menzerna polishing compounds, but I'm not sure which one(s) plus which pad combos would be best suitable for my paint. After cleaning, claying and possibly Iron-X, I want to polish (and/or pre-polish before if necessary) and top it off with wax/sealant – I read that Blackfire works better with metallic flake paints, but open to suggestions.

I already have a small Griot's, and I'm looking to get the Flex XC3401 for the polishing process (will use it on other family cars too).

PS – I understand that it takes anywhere from 4-6 pads for polishing, but I also saw the Edge Foam Pad Conditioning Brush on the site, is it effective in reducing the number of pads you use for each car?

From Mike's post for new cars:
1. Wash and dry.
2. Inspect the paint with your sense of touch and visually in bright, overhead sunlight.
3. Iron X paint and wheels - Then re-wash to remove the Iron X residues off the paint and wheels.
4. Clay - If needed. Your inspection will tell you.
5. Polish - If needed. Your inspection will tell you.
6. Apply either a Car Wax or a Paint Sealant

cardaddy
06-21-2015, 10:37 PM
First time poster. I've done plenty of research on the site, but I'm still not sure which polishing products to get for my new BMW 3 with a Sparkling Brown metallic (it has flakes inside), so I wanted to ask if any of you have any experience with this color.

The car is only two months old, and I've only hand washed it (two bucket method / rinseless) since, but the paint did have plenty of swirls from the dealer.

I've heard great things about Menzerna polishing compounds, but I'm not sure which one(s) plus which pad combos would be best suitable for my paint. After cleaning, claying and possibly Iron-X, I want to polish (and/or pre-polish before if necessary) and top it off with wax/sealant – I read that Blackfire works better with metallic flake paints, but open to suggestions.

I already have a small Griot's, and I'm looking to get the Flex XC3401 for the polishing process (will use it on other family cars too).

PS – I understand that it takes anywhere from 4-6 pads for polishing, but I also saw the Edge Foam Pad Conditioning Brush on the site, is it effective in reducing the number of pads you use for each car?

From Mike's post for new cars:
1. Wash and dry.
2. Inspect the paint with your sense of touch and visually in bright, overhead sunlight.
3. Iron X paint and wheels - Then re-wash to remove the Iron X residues off the paint and wheels.
4. Clay - If needed. Your inspection will tell you.
5. Polish - If needed. Your inspection will tell you.
6. Apply either a Car Wax or a Paint Sealant

Welcome to AGO! :D

So when you say "small Griot's" are you saying the GG3? If you have the GG6 you really don't HAVE TO have another unit to do your new beemer. Just make sure you have the 5" backing plate.

The Flex is another beast ALL---TO---GETHER. Compared to the GG6 being a coupe, it's a 4x4 extended cab truck. It can (and will) give you the ability to finish down fantastic. But the GG6 can also finish down just as well, (it'll just take you a bit longer on the job as a whole).

You said you might possibly Iron-X. Don't skip it at this point, you'll be glad you did it, trust me. DO NOT do it in the sun, or on a hot car however. Clay, IS NEEDED. This is where I cannot stress enough that you get a Nanoskin pad. If you have the GG6 then get the 5½" Nanoskin pad. That puppy will clay the entire car for you in a matter of minutes. Don't have to worry about dropping it (and having to throw it away) and it'll last for at least 6~10 uses. Sure, it's twice what a block of clay is, but it lasts a LOT longer. That and knowing you can rinse it and keep using it makes it a lifesaver.

If you don't have a buffer to run with it, then get one of the hand held ones. The twin-pack with the blue and red ones are amazingly handy to have around. They have a squared edge on one end and a rounded one on the other. This'll allow you to get right up to edges, trim, you name it. Again... this is a tool you really need in your arsenal.

Then you said you've read that you need pads. YES YOU NEED PADS. Get yourself AT LEAST a dozen, I'd say 18 to start. I've been preaching for years now that I wish Autogeek had a "Detailers Dozen" similar to a "Bakers Dozen" where you could order 13 pads for the price of 12. There I'd go for 4 orange, 4 white, 3 blue, 2 black. Honestly, I'd say get 6 white, the 4 (or 5) orange, 3 blue, 2 (or 3) black, 2 red. That'll cover whatever paint systems you'll run across. (Notice that last group would be 12 all by itself.)

On that BMW you may actually be able to get away with only 2 (types/cut) pads. That and FG400 and you'll be surprised what it'll do. You can start with an orange or white pad and work the FG400 most of the way through it's duty cycle, then switch to a blue or black pad (maybe even a red one) and finish it down. This isn't exactly a 2-step method, this is what I call a 1.5 step method. Saves a TON of time and gets great results.

If you want to REALLY make it pop.... get Menzerna SF4000 after you've compounded it with FG400. That combo is darned near invincible. Of course you can get results that are just as good with Meguiar's (and likely take LESS time doing it). After your test spot tells you how the cut is going you'll know which compound will get it done for you. Personally D300 has become my favorite compound the last couple of years. I'd skip M105 completely. Also, Ultimate Compound with an orange or white pad does great. Finish it down with either M205 or Ultimate Polish and call it a day.

Wax or sealant?

SEALANT!!!!!!!
Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax is actually a sealant and is better than it has a right to be, (for the price that's for sure). You can also top it with M26 Yellow Wax (which is ALSO a sealant despite it calling itself a wax) yet it does have carnauba in it as well. The GREAT thing about M26 is it has a DOI rating off the charts. (DOI= Distinction of Image which is a rating of how glossy, how clear, how reflective it is.... and it's in the 90's and has been for years.)

Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 will serve you well. Either that or Menzerna Power Lock and you'll be happy.

Another choice would of course be one of the WOWA sealants from BF or WG, both of which are good. I just prefer WOWO to them after I've gone to the effort to properly buff and polish a vehicle. I feel that the protection is head and shoulders above the WOWA products. Where I do use them (WOWA) all the time though is in all the jambs. Trunk, hood, door, you name it. Just WipeOnWalkAway. ;) Also I'll use them down the road for maintenance (after the initial buffing/polishing session).

Again, :welcome:to AGO! :cruisin:

mintz
06-21-2015, 11:26 PM
Thank you for the detailed response cardaddy!

Actually, I already purchased and used the nanoskin mitt on a relative's uncared for 15 y.o. Jetta on which I did a Meguiar's Ultimate compound and Ultimate wax with the GG3 (it needed a polish step, but I'll do it all over again later on).

For the BMW, I wasn't sure if I should start so aggressive with the FG400 or skip it and go straight to the SF4000 since the car is new.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
06-22-2015, 05:18 AM

Welcome to AutoGeekOnline! Congrats on the purchase of the new BMW!

I don't have experience with that specific color but I do have experience with plenty BMW paints.

IMO, German paint loves German compound/polish. More specifically Menzerna/Wolfgang.

This is the norm from the dealership.

As mentioned above, Menzerna/Wolfgang lineup of products.

Pick up the 3401 HD model along with the 4" plate and run the 5" Lake Country hybrid pads.

No. A pad brush is only used to remove excess polish from the surface of the pad.

A pad washer is needed to wash the pads during a buffing cycle to reduce the number of pads needed.

Here is a thread I put together on extracting the maximum performance from the above mentioned setup.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-university/77155-my-technique-concerning-3401-menzerna-products-hybrid-pads.html

Pad washer review.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/62816-my-pad-washing-technique-review.html

Again, :welcome:to AGO! :cruisin:

Tony, Great feedback good sir!

I wanted to quote you as you gave fantastic information although I cut out what you said in the quote so this page does not go a mile long. Lol

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
06-22-2015, 05:20 AM
For the BMW, I wasn't sure if I should start so aggressive with the FG400 or skip it and go straight to the SF4000 since the car is new.

I would start with SFF4000 on a white pad as a test spot to see where that will get you. If not you can change your process and get more aggressive if need be.

mintz
06-22-2015, 08:27 AM
Thanks Mike! So to sum up, I'm going to get the Flex and:

-Orange and White pads with FG400 (if necessary, after spot test)

-White pads with SFF 4000

-Black or Red Pads for Wolfgang DGPS 3.0 / Meg's Ultimate Wax / Blackfire / Power Lock

In your experience, for an extra topping over the sealant, is there any significant difference between a spray wax (i.e. Pinnacle Liquid Spray Wax) and a regular liquid wax applied with a DA over the sealant? If I understand correctly, I should apply a liquid after the sealant, and then when doing regular washing, the spray?

In addition, are 5" pads easier to work with compared to the 6.5" ones on the Flex or is it a matter of personal preference?

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
06-22-2015, 01:14 PM
Thanks Mike! So to sum up, I'm going to get the Flex and:

-Orange and White pads with FG400 (if necessary, after spot test)

-White pads with SFF 4000

-Black or Red Pads for Wolfgang DGPS 3.0 / Meg's Ultimate Wax / Blackfire / Power Lock

In your experience, for an extra topping over the sealant, is there any significant difference between a spray wax (i.e. Pinnacle Liquid Spray Wax) and a regular liquid wax applied with a DA over the sealant? If I understand correctly, I should apply a liquid after the sealant, and then when doing regular washing, the spray?

In addition, are 5" pads easier to work with compared to the 6.5" ones on the Flex or is it a matter of personal preference?

If you can swing FG400, SI1500, PF2500, SF4000, SF4500, 3n1 AIO, PowerLock, and Endless Shine QD. Also I would grab the orange, blue, white, yellow, and black pads. This will ensure all possible areas are covered.

To streamline this listing, FG400, SF4000, possibly SF4500, 3n1, and PowerLock for polishes.

For pads, Orange, White, and Black.

For protection go with PowerLock or WDGPS 3.0

If you want more depth over PowerLock or WDGPS 3.0 you can put a coat of CarnaubaLock, Fuzion, Souveran, etc.

Yes the smaller 5" pads are easier to use and work with on the curves of your BMW.

cardaddy
06-22-2015, 11:01 PM
If you can swing FG400, SI1500, PF2500, SF4000, SF4500, 3n1 AIO, PowerLock, and Endless Shine QD. Also I would grab the orange, blue, white, yellow, and black pads. This will ensure all possible areas are covered.

To streamline this listing, FG400, SF4000, possibly SF4500, 3n1, and PowerLock for polishes.

For pads, Orange, White, and Black.

For protection go with PowerLock or WDGPS 3.0

If you want more depth over PowerLock or WDGPS 3.0 you can put a coat of CarnaubaLock, Fuzion, Souveran, etc.

Yes the smaller 5" pads are easier to use and work with on the curves of your BMW.

I like the streamlined version! :dblthumb2:

While it's great to have all the overlap that Menz offers..... the reality is (in most peoples situation) it's just not needed. With FG400 being so ridiculously flexible, cutting great, and finishing in a league of it's own, then being able to finish down with SF4000 (and remembering that the flexibility of pad use really comes into play here) these two make for one HECK-OF-A knockout punch! :props:

Also totally agree with WGDGPS 3.0 or PL. (In that order actually.) ;)

And to the OP.... yes, absolutely you'll want to run with a spray wax/sealant between major buffing/polishing sessions. You'd be doing good, no, make that GREAT to pick up a gallon of Fast Clean & Shine as well as Aquawax from Duragloss. Both can be used as a stand alone product with EXCELLENT results. And for a killer QD spray that'll add to your protection alone the way mix FC&S 75/25 with Aquawax. That one was offered to me from Dr. Bill @ Duragloss and is something that I keep in all my vehicles ever since. :D

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
06-23-2015, 12:06 AM
I like the streamlined version! :dblthumb2:

While it's great to have all the overlap that Menz offers..... the reality is (in most peoples situation) it's just not needed. With FG400 being so ridiculously flexible, cutting great, and finishing in a league of it's own, then being able to finish down with SF4000 (and remembering that the flexibility of pad use really comes into play here) these two make for one HECK-OF-A knockout punch! :props:

Also totally agree with WGDGPS 3.0 or PL. (In that order actually.) ;)

A new member that picked up a new BMW and asking about Menzerna/Flex...?

You know I'm going off the deep end. :xyxthumbs:

mintz
06-23-2015, 08:15 AM
A new member that picked up a new BMW and asking about Menzerna/Flex...?

Once again, thanks for all the help guys!

I got the Flex with the 4" backplate and 5" LC hybrid pads (orange, white and black), FG400, SF4000, WDGPS 3.0 and Pinnacle's Souveran Liquid wax as a topping. Will spray Iron-X too.

My wax spray arsenal already includes Pinnacle Souveran, DG Aquawax and Meguiar's Ultimate - I haven't tried the first one yet, but between the DG and Meguiar's, the latter seems easier to work with and leaves a higher gloss.

Also going to try two layers of the Turtle Wax Jet Black Endurance tire coating - I've been using Ultima Tire & Trim Guard Plus.

I'll read the instructions when I get them, but with the exception of Iron X, can I work in the sun with the FG-400, SF4000, WDGPS 3.0 and Pinnacle wax? The thing is, I don't get shade until after 2-3pm and I only have weekends to work with.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
06-23-2015, 08:48 AM

I got the Flex with the 4" backplate and 5" LC hybrid pads (orange, white and black), FG400, SF4000, WDGPS 3.0 and Pinnacle's Souveran Liquid wax as a topping. Will spray Iron-X too.

No problem. Good stuff.

I'll read the instructions when I get them, but with the exception of Iron X, can I work in the sun with the FG-400, SF4000, WDGPS 3.0 and Pinnacle wax? The thing is, I don't get shade until after 2-3pm and I only have weekends to work with.

I personally would not work in the sun with any of those products.

Is there any way you could use someone's garage?

cardaddy
06-23-2015, 08:53 PM

Naaaaahhhhh.... say it ain't so Joe! :laughing:

What with all that German sheet metal, German compounds AND a German buffer it's a wonder you're able to fit in your britches Mike. :wow::poke:What with all the 'swelling' going on.:dig:

My wax spray arsenal already includes Pinnacle Souveran, DG Aquawax and Meguiar's Ultimate - I haven't tried the first one yet, but between the DG and Meguiar's, the latter seems easier to work with and leaves a higher gloss.

Also going to try two layers of the Turtle Wax Jet Black Endurance tire coating - I've been using Ultima Tire & Trim Guard Plus.

Sounds like a great start! :dblthumb2:

In all seriousness.... I have no problem running the Flex with the big honkin' 6½" CCS pads. It's a big pad, but the Flex is a big machine. Working irregular surfaces with a big thick pad is a breeze with that machine. ;)

Sun would be a SERIOUS no go!!!!!! I'd start early as it's cooler, rather than late (considering how freaking hot it is as of late).

You can also reposition the car so you're working on the shady side. Might not exactly work on the whole thing but it should help a bit. The thing that'll help more than anything else is a pop-up canopy. Not using one for a living, some can be a bit of an extra expense. But you CAN find one for around $100 that'll suit your needs, and in the grand scheme of things it's not a big deal.

Where was I.... Got distracted by that DirecTV commercial, Hanna and her horse.... (laying on the beach....) Took me a while to even FIGURE OUT that there WAS a horse! :laughing:

What I see you didn't mention is microfiber. Hope you have PLENTY of them at your disposal? The Microfiber Tech 360's and 530's are your workhorse towels. You can do everything from compound wiping to LSP with both. As an added benefit the 530's also make a good drying towel. Do not, I repeat DO NOT think that just because a 360 GSM towel sells for $5.99 ~ 3/$15.95 that they are any different, or any better than the very same ones from MFT for pennies, (literally less than half the price in small quantities, and can be had for less than $1.35 (shipped) in larger numbers). ;)

I'd seriously suggest a couple dozen 360's and a dozen (minimum) of the 530's.
I'd also pick up a half a dozen (if not a dozen) Korean edgeless 500's (labeled as 470's on the site) and a couple Korean drying towels. DO REMEMBER though when drying NOT to wipe, just 'pat', and/or lay down your towel and rub the back of it GENTLY with an open hand. Then go back with your spray wax and something like the Korean edgeless and finish it down. :props:

Jus'... throwing that out there. :D

mintz
06-23-2015, 11:32 PM
I do have microfiber towels, but not enough for all those steps, so I followed your advice...did not know about MFT...:xyxthumbs:!

Unfortunately, no one nearby has a garage. Actually, I had looked for a canopy, but I'd need one at least 5m / 16ft long, not very practical and quite expensive - or a smaller one and move it around. Which ones have you guys seen being used for this purpose?

EKRock2676
07-24-2015, 05:27 AM
Great read guys. I'm in a similar position as Mintz as I have a BMW X3 and also somewhat new to the machine polishing world. I have a GG6 and ready to tackle the beemer. I have a question on the product. Tony you mentioned you would use Menzerna FP400. Not being an expert in this and looking at Menzerna's chart, I see FP400 is a 9 out of 10 on the aggressive scale. Initially to me that seems like that would be too much cut for a car that is not so old or neglected. I picked up some IP1500 and SF4000. Can I ask why you would consider the FP400 in this situation?

Thanks guys, good stuff to read!
Ed