PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Factory OP

NotBlake
06-21-2015, 05:45 PM
I have a brand new 2015 Mustang with the orange peel that so many cars come with today. I don't want to wet sand so I'm thinking I might try a denim pad and M105.

Think that might work? The below image makes it look worse than it really is, but you get the idea.

http://i.imgur.com/v3YxqNV.jpg

Thanks guys.

FUNX650
06-21-2015, 07:05 PM
Unless this vehicle is going to be an actual
"Show Car"...with all of the kid-glove treatment
that entails...

Then I most certainly would not attempt to remove its
orange peel. It'll need all the ClearCoat it can muster,
in order for its paint-system to reach its expected life span.

That may just be me though.

It's your vehicle; carry on as you see fit.
But remember if you do attempt this task to:
TEST SPOT, TEST SPOT, and TEST SPOT!!

BTW:
Do have access to a paint thickness gauge?

Bob

custmsprty
06-21-2015, 07:11 PM
:iagree: with Bob.

I had some on my Genny and over the past couple years it doesn't look anywhere near as bad as it did.

david79z28
06-21-2015, 07:48 PM
:iagree: with Bob.

I had some on my Genny and over the past couple years it doesn't look anywhere near as bad as it did.

With these two!!

There is such a small amount of our society that notices or even cares about orange peel.

The risk isn't worth the reward in my opinion!!

Souldetailer
06-21-2015, 08:20 PM
I have the same problem with my new 2015 Kia Soul in Inferno Red. I was bummed at first, but it's still the shiniest car in the lot every time I walk out of an establishment. That's good enough for me. :xyxthumbs:

Peace,

Darrin

Mike@ShineStruck
06-21-2015, 09:11 PM
Looking at my dads 2015 kia forte...has orange peel all over..

AGOatemywallet
06-21-2015, 10:50 PM
CarPro Denim pads are very effective and remove very little paint

Watch the heat very closely and work a 24"x24" area minimum to allow heat to dissipate

I prefer M100 over M105 when using the Denim pads. It seems to have a longer working time and dusts less

kecko
06-21-2015, 11:37 PM
I looked in our employee parking lot and found about 5 cars immediately with orange peel. All makes and models including my Hyundai. Been looking at this more closely and it seems more common than not.

I would deal with it if it were me.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

geekdout
06-21-2015, 11:41 PM
I would not attempt something like this without a paint thickness gauge.

As for the Carpro pads I would stay away from the Denim pads and use the Velvet pads instead, they are designed for factory clear coat. But really it might be more trouble then its worth due to the work involved and the amount of paint you need to remove to achieve this.

If this were my car I would just polish it and then coat it, in this case. Unless your expectations are for a show car finish chances are you will be more then satisfied with the results.

builthatch
06-21-2015, 11:55 PM
if you have peel - peaks and valleys in the clear.

i think the consensus is if it's not a show car, the best bet is to aim to reduce it without getting everything too close to level with the valleys. definitely don't remove it...and remove less of the peaks on higher impact/UV areas.

just a slight improvement in peel can make a huge difference in DOI. no need to go crazy.

Souldetailer
06-22-2015, 10:22 AM
Ha, I blogged about Kia souls... Are you a gerbil, by chance?

Nope, sorry. Didn't know you were into that. Im the MAN Hahahaha....

Peace,

Darrin

OTSDetail
06-22-2015, 11:38 AM
Standard ford paint these days sucks. It's hardly any clear so I'd be hard pressed to try and remove the orange peel. it sucks, but Ford's paint sucks more. Source: I've owned both a 13 & 14 Ford since 2013 and both have rock chips galore

AGOatemywallet
06-22-2015, 08:46 PM
I would not attempt something like this without a paint thickness gauge.

As for the Carpro pads I would stay away from the Denim pads and use the Velvet pads instead, they are designed for factory clear coat. But really it might be more trouble then its worth due to the work involved and the amount of paint you need to remove to achieve this.

If this were my car I would just polish it and then coat it, in this case. Unless your expectations are for a show car finish chances are you will be more then satisfied with the results.

Do you have personal experience with either the Denim or Velvet Pads?

Was it with a Rotary or DA?

frankprozzoly
06-22-2015, 09:57 PM
I talked about this before on my 14 accord. I don't feel so bad after people complaining about 80k cars having just as much OP