PDA

View Full Version : Review-Drew's SON1C Phoenix Wax

Kamakaz1961
06-21-2015, 01:24 PM
This might be a little longer post and I do apologize in advance. I am a carnauba Wax fan. Specifically Paste wax. I do like Liquid wax (have about 5), but IMO Paste wax offers a better wet look, gloss and depth if a car is detailed correctly. I have about 20 to 25 (and still adding) different types of carnauba paste waxes. So when I do test a wax I am very objective (subjective too in a minor way) about the wax. I look for ease of use, wet look and depth. I also look to see if it works well layered on top of a sealant (which I do 90% of the time).

I look for flaws…such as ghosting (hazing) in the sun after application over a sealant (or by wax only) and see how it beads and sheets with water. I look and see if there is depth and how the gloss is when the ride is out in the Sun. If it passes my test then I see about durability.

I decided to (finally) try one of Drew’s of SON1C waxes called Phoenix. I have to tell you I am extremely impressed! The wax itself smells awesome…kind of citrus smell like a grapefruit.

I polished the hood and trunk of a 2005 Mercedes 230 Kompressor. I used a PC7424XP with 4” Lake Country White CCS Pad with Menzerna SF4500 (speed setting 5) and then applied Phoenix with a 3” Lake Country Crimson (red one) Hydrotech Pad on speed setting 3. FYI, the Merc has no sealant, just his wax (1 coat will put on another in about 5 days).

The wax is easy to apply by DA and it is easy to remove too. I was very surprised how the depth, wet look and gloss looked (for me). No ghosting (hazing) with the car out in the sun for about 1 - 2 hours. To all the guys that love carnauba waxes; Phoenix IMO is a top notch wax. It is now in my favorite waxes. I can't say anything about durability, however, I will be checking on it and will let you know in the future.

All-in-all, I am very impressed with this wax and I will be using it more n the future. Drew makes some great wax...awesome job!! I have a couple of reflection pics. People, I suck at photos and my camera has lint inside it's lens and it shows up as a little spot. Just FYI.

I hope you all enjoy this review and have a great day!!! :dblthumb2:

Sizzle Chest
06-21-2015, 01:36 PM
Great review! I have yet to try any of his waxes, however I am intrigued. Thanks for posting!

99C5Coupe
06-21-2015, 02:03 PM
I have used SON1C wax also, I was really impressed with its water beading

Kamakaz1961
06-21-2015, 04:57 PM
I have used SON1C wax also, I was really impressed with its water beading

Wow very nice! Glad to know that it beads well.

FUNX650
06-21-2015, 05:25 PM
Thanks for your time and efforts in the presentation
of this particular SON1C Wax...Good Job! :xyxthumbs:

From a very recent "SON1C thread":

In the meantime, I will be detailing my GF Mercedes and I am torn on which...wax I am gonna use...Carnaubavore, Phoenix or Obsession.

PS: If you have a suggestion on what wax...to use just let me know and I will make it so!!

I'll suggest Carnaubavore Wax.

Here are a couple of reasons for my above suggestion.

1.) Carnaubavore Wax doesn't "mute" metallics:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/image1405.jpg
---------------------------------------------------------------------

2.) Which results in clearer reflections:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/image1406.jpg

Bob

Kamakaz1961
06-21-2015, 05:31 PM
Thank you Bob. I do have the Carnaubavore Wax too. I also have his limited Obsession Wax. I have had them for about 6 + months. I finally got around to trying a new wax. I asked Drew and he said try Phoenix 1st. But seeing your Vette with the Carnaubavore...looks awesome!! I will be trying that soon. Either way, so far, I consider SON1C wax to be excellent waxes. Glad to see you like them too!!

PS: Drew outvoted you that's why I went with Phoenix!!!.....LOL

moosey
06-21-2015, 06:01 PM
Have to agree with the thoughts above, Phoenix is an excellent product. Easy to apply and even easier to remove.