PDA

View Full Version : Help Please! Product Recommendations

Fiery Goose
06-21-2015, 10:54 AM
Hey everyone. I will be detailing my uncles Hyundai Equus in the next week or two and I really am not sure what combo of product and pad to use.

The car is only 3 years old, very well maintained and only has swirl marks due to improper washing technique. There are no deep scratches on the car. There is slight clear coat failure in the top of the rear bumper where it meets the trunk lid. There is nothing I can do about that and I will avoid that area.

I have a PC7424XP but not sure what to use for product/pad. I have been using the Wolfgang total swirl remover with orange lake country pad and finishing glaze 3.0 with a black finishing pad on my last several details but never was able to fully get rid of all swirls. I was reading other posts and it looks like Menzerna FG400 and FF3000 is a great combo for quickly removing swirls and scratches. What would anyone recommend? Also, what pads would be good to pair with these products? I am also worried about taking off too much during the pre-polish stage.

Thanks ahead of time for all your help! I don't want to ruin this car!

-Adam

expdetailing
06-21-2015, 12:58 PM
Honestly,
I'm right there with you wanting things to be perfect, however, the Wolfgang twins should be what you use, IMO. I don't see a need to spend $50 on menzerna polishes that probably would give you similar results.
Maybe, you could instead concentrate on better cutting pads such as, microfiber, or just buying more pads to ensure you're using enough.
You are using at least 3-4 pads, for the whole car, that are being cleaned after every panel, right?
Secondly, that PC you are using, likes to cut when you are running it on speed 6, with at least 15 lbs of pressure.
Again, think about your pad inventory, and you PC technique.
Good luck..

Fiery Goose
06-21-2015, 01:22 PM
thanks so much expdetailing. This helps me a lot.

I am not using multiple new pads to complete a car so I really need to think about stocking more pads. I always run the PC on speed 6 but I think I need more pressure like you said.

I looked up online and it says that Hyundai paint is quite hard. My worry though whenever I detail a car is that I might cut too much and ruin the paint. Do you think that will happen with this car?

ski2
06-21-2015, 01:53 PM
Here's an article by Mike Phillips regarding the number of pads you need for each step: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/88109-how-many-pads-do-i-need-buff-out-my-car.html

Using enough pads is a road to success!!

expdetailing
06-21-2015, 02:41 PM
My worry though whenever I detail a car is that I might cut too much and ruin the paint. Do you think that will happen with this car?

From numbers Ive seen before in the past, and i'm sorry I don't know where to look to provide a link, you can polish a car roughly 65 times before you will polish the clear coat away. Of course, i am saying roughly, however, my point is is that not nearly enough clear coat comes off during compounding and polishing as one might guess.

custmsprty
06-21-2015, 02:52 PM
Honestly,
I'm right there with you wanting things to be perfect, however, the Wolfgang twins should be what you use, IMO. I don't see a need to spend $50 on menzerna polishes that probably would give you similar results.
Maybe, you could instead concentrate on better cutting pads such as, microfiber, or just buying more pads to ensure you're using enough.
You are using at least 3-4 pads, for the whole car, that are being cleaned after every panel, right?
Secondly, that PC you are using, likes to cut when you are running it on speed 6, with at least 15 lbs of pressure.
Again, think about your pad inventory, and you PC technique.
Good luck..

:iagree: Those products should do the trick no problem. Focus on the above, it's great advice.

Maybe bump up to a LC Yellow Pad with the WG TS. Menzerna and WG share a lot in common in their formulations.
When I first got my Genny 3 years ago I achieved these results with that combo with a PC.

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w421/custmsprty/genesis.jpg (http://s1075.photobucket.com/user/custmsprty/media/genesis.jpg.html)

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w421/custmsprty/polished2_zpsdb49293f.jpg (http://s1075.photobucket.com/user/custmsprty/media/polished2_zpsdb49293f.jpg.html)

Fiery Goose
06-21-2015, 02:58 PM
thank you ski2 and custmsprty. such great help. I am so glad to have this forum to ask questions. It really helps. thanks everyone! I will post pics once I do this detail.

custmsprty
06-21-2015, 03:08 PM
Take your time and focus on perfecting your technique with the PC. It's a great all around tool.

VISITOR
06-21-2015, 07:13 PM
many who are new to DA polishing tend to move it too quickly and not let the pad and polish/compound do the work.
here's an example to get you acquainted on just about how fast/slow to move....

[ame]youtube.com/watch?v=_llh3z03Liw[/video]
[ame]youtube.com/watch?v=vgIOe91uYA0[/video]

Mike@ShineStruck
06-21-2015, 10:35 PM
I hsed mine for the first time today
i was a tad slower then vid
made a tad shinier, but think i needed to apply more pressure as i really didnt apply much...wasnt free handing it but wasnt forcing it downward either
GG G21 orange yellow then black pad
Just was testing/messing around...getting a feel for it..