PDA

View Full Version : Technique with the Duetto?

Rod73
06-19-2015, 12:19 AM
From someone who has moved from the Porter Cable 7424xp to the Rupes Duetto is there a real difference in how I use it in terms of speed of movement and section passes. I know the longer throw of the Rupes polishers speed up progress. Considering the point of emphasis with the Porter Cable was moving it slow I wasn't sure if I should maintain that same pace or pick it up a certain amount? I'm also accustomed to an average of the 4 to 7 correction/medium cut passes and maybe slightly more for SF4500 ultra fine cut.. I wonder if I should expect that same model when I polish?

Todd@RUPES
08-08-2015, 08:46 AM
From someone who has moved from the Porter Cable 7424xp to the Rupes Duetto is there a real difference in how I use it in terms of speed of movement and section passes. I know the longer throw of the Rupes polishers speed up progress. Considering the point of emphasis with the Porter Cable was moving it slow I wasn't sure if I should maintain that same pace or pick it up a certain amount? I'm also accustomed to an average of the 4 to 7 correction/medium cut passes and maybe slightly more for SF4500 ultra fine cut.. I wonder if I should expect that same model when I polish?

I know I am late for answering this question, so I assume you have already gotten used to the Duetto, but as far as technique goes, it will end up being quite similar. Both tools are random orbital in design. Keep your transverse rate slow and smooth and keep the pad as flat to the panel and possible. :props:

Mike Phillips
08-08-2015, 10:15 AM
Just to add,

The Rupes coarse blue foam pad and Zephir Gloss Gel Compound works killer on the Duetto for removing defects and the open cell make-up of this aggressive foam resin used to make this pad rotates really well.

Other than that normal DA Technique applies,

Slow arm movement.
Cross hatch pattern
6-8 section passes per section buffed.
Don't tackle to large of a section at one time.
Overlap a little into the previous section when starting a new section.
Clean you pad often or switch to a clean, dry pad when moving on to a new panel.

:dblthumb2: