PDA

View Full Version : Fresh Paint

99C5Coupe
06-18-2015, 09:27 PM
Had the hood, front bumper and drivers side front fender repainted because of clear coat failure and rock chips. I asked how long until I can wax and they said 90 days and use Dawn to wash it because it doesn't contain wax.
I am thinking 30 days should be enough to wait until waxing and I use Meguiars Hyper wash soap to wash. What do you guys think?

trekkeruss
06-18-2015, 09:50 PM
Mike Phillip's thoughts on the matter: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/23906-waxing-new-paint-2.html

FUNX650
06-18-2015, 11:05 PM
This will work for "fresh paint":
Meguiars 305 Ultra Finishing Durable Glaze (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-m305-ultra-finishing-durable-glaze.html)

Note:
It is formulated with real wax protection!

Bob

builthatch
06-18-2015, 11:25 PM
Dr. G from OPT says OPT Car Wax can be used on fresh paint.

did they not bake the car, OP? 90 days is so extreme haha

yes, that wash choice is fine. no need to use Dawn. i am not warrantying the work, however lol

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
06-19-2015, 12:33 AM
I asked how long until I can wax and they said 90 days and use Dawn to wash it because it doesn't contain wax.

I am thinking 30 days should be enough to wait until waxing and I use Meguiars Hyper wash soap to wash. What do you guys think?

Keep that DAWN away from the car!!!

Depending on what was used as a hardener and how the paint was baked, you can wax in as little as 30 days.

Washing the paint for time time being is fine with Hyper Wash and as Bob mentioned you can use M305 for protection and M34 as a maintenance product. Both are body shop safe and let the paint breath.

Rod73
06-19-2015, 12:51 AM
Dawn?? ... so of all the soaps without wax to put on a car and someone says DAWN?

99C5Coupe
06-19-2015, 08:18 AM
Thank you all for your replies!
I was shocked with the Dawn recommendation as well.
Yes they did bake the paint, I think they are just playing it safe with the 90 day wait until waxing.
Meguiars 305 or Opt car wax will be what I will use per recommendations, thanks. Will need to do some research on them.
Link to Mike Phillips thoughts is always helpful too.
Now if I could just keep the rock chips, bird bombs and careless drivers away, I should be happy.

99C5Coupe
06-21-2015, 08:47 AM
One more question in regards to fresh paint. How long to wait until I can polish? Thinking of using Menzerna SF4500 to remove some fine scratches/swirls from painters tape used around grill when applying solution finish.

Mantilgh
06-21-2015, 09:29 AM
Polishing shouldn't be a problem. It was compound/polish ready before the shop delivered it to you.

Unless for some reason Menzerna SF4500 is not fresh paint safe. AG site say "used on brand new Mercedes", "Menzerna Finish Polish PO85RD is body and paint shop safe. It contains no waxes, glazes, or silicones".

What did you end up going with for your LSP?

Ccrew
06-21-2015, 09:40 AM
I think they are just playing it safe with the 90 day wait until waxing.

Out of curiosity, why don't you too? In these days of low VOC paints repairs will outgas for a while. I'd rather keep my repair warranty personally. I have a Kia sitting here that looked like the best repair ever in end of January tha's already had issues twice. I'm glad I didn't dink with it. Although I was in the same boat you sound like you are in that I wanted to so bad.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
06-21-2015, 09:45 AM
One more question in regards to fresh paint. How long to wait until I can polish? Thinking of using Menzerna SF4500 to remove some fine scratches/swirls from painters tape used around grill when applying solution finish.

You can compound/polish the paint 12-24 hours after it comes from the paint booth.

Personally, I would do a test spot with SF4000 on white.