PDA

View Full Version : Hate to ask this but.....

Pages : [1] 2

Newdetailer1
06-18-2015, 07:50 PM
Whats the best wax/sealer out there that will provide good protection and.....god help me......cover up swirls!
Problem is, I offer a standard wash and wax package that's just a clay and wax. I'm currently just using my power lock. I don't do too many of these packages but I'm not happy with the way they turn out because I can see all the swirls. I know the customer is happy with the results because they just want to see it shine and they don't care about swirls. Since I'm something of a perfectionist I'd like to at least cover them up some. I know it goes against everything I stand for in detailing but like I said if the customer isn't willing to pay for a polish I'm ok with trying to make the car look as nice as possible with a cover up. Thanks

GenesisCoupe
06-18-2015, 07:57 PM
When doing such details I skip wax/sealants and shoot straight for the Glaze.. My go to is Chemical Guys Glossworkz or CG Blacklight.

postaddict
06-18-2015, 07:59 PM
Try Poorboy's Black Hole glaze. This will cover up minor swirls and scratches. Then use a spray wax for a little protection. It comes down to "you get what you pay for".

custmsprty
06-18-2015, 08:05 PM
I agree with both of the above posts. But the flip side to consider is none of those products, of which I have two of, give much longevity or long term protection compared to PL. So the catch 22 is their cars may look good for a short period of time but you'll be sacrificing the longevity. They may then feel the shine didn't last and not come back? If they are happy now with the PL, I'd stay with that as it looks great and has excellent durability. The swirl marks aren't a big deal to the everyday driver.

Badboyztn
06-18-2015, 08:15 PM
Chemical Guys "Wet Mirror Finish" is a glaze thats great and will cover swirls.

Eandras
06-18-2015, 08:23 PM
I would skip the claying as that is inducing additional swirls. Why not use an AIO instead.

If you are gonna glaze the swirls will reappear in a short amount of time

custmsprty
06-18-2015, 08:25 PM
I would skip the claying as that is inducing additional swirls. Why not use an AIO instead.

If you are gonna glaze the swirls will reappear in a short amount of time

Yeah :iagree:

In that case go with HD SPEED!!!!!! Great stuff!

Check out this link, that's a two step I did with HD Speed and HD Poxy.

3D Professional Detailing Products, HD car care, 3D HD (http://www.autogeek.net/3d-car-care-products.html)

FUNX650
06-18-2015, 08:36 PM
Instead of using "glazes"; and to stay somewhat
within the "Sealant category":

I'd use a Cleaner/Sealant to help cover up the swirls:
one that'll leave a modicum of protection behind.

One like Klasse AIO, for example.

Bob

Newdetailer1
06-18-2015, 08:41 PM
I understand the clay puts some more swirls into it but some of the paint feels down right nasty and I wouldn't feel right just throwing wax on top of that surface. For my basic package I was trying to avoid using a machine completely so that leaves out AIO's. Glaze would do the trick but maybe I could follow that up with a quick spray wax? What's the rules on wax on top of glaze? Any?? I'd probably rather not want to do that either though since I'm not trying to marry the car for the price being paid. I try to push as much as possible my middle of the road package which usually ends up being menzerna PF followed by the PL.

FUNX650
06-18-2015, 08:49 PM
For my basic package I was trying to avoid using a machine completely so that leaves out AIO's.
You don't absolutely have to use a machine
to apply many AIOs...including Klasse AIO.

Bob

aim4squirrels
06-18-2015, 08:58 PM
Meguiars ultimate liquid wax can fill light swirls in, it's technically a sealant, usually get 3-4 months protection out of it, doesn't turn trim white, and it's available OTC should you run out.

If you use a cleaner wax/AIO, just keep it away from rubber or plastic trim.

StuDLei
06-18-2015, 09:10 PM
Honestly, this could be its own thread, (and I think I heard this from someone else recently, like Larry Kosilla--possibly), but I'm tempted to think that almost any wax, even the "finishing" waxes help cover up swirls.

I was out of town visiting family about a month ago. I brought all of my detail gear with me and ONR'ed, clayed, and waxed (OSW) my parents' cars, which sit outside under trees 24/7. Now I've clayed a lot, but I couldn't believe how much better the paint looked comparing from after it was ONR'ed to after it was clayed. The wax made a big difference too, as it usually does on cars that aren't taken care of often.

Maybe to make yourself (and your customers) happy, you could start polishing the hood on every car you do. After all, that's the panel everyone checks out. It would give you something to look forward to and you could use it to help sell a one or two-step to the customer next time.

FUNX650
06-18-2015, 09:17 PM
:idea:
Meguiars M305...
Meguiars 305 Ultra Finishing Durable Glaze (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-m305-ultra-finishing-durable-glaze.html)

It is the only body-shop safe glaze
formulated with real wax protection!

Bob

Zubair
06-18-2015, 10:29 PM
Carnaubas fill more than sealants, so switch to that as an lsp.

StuDLei
06-18-2015, 10:46 PM
Carnaubas fill more than sealants, so switch to that as an lsp.

I feel like I've noticed this too.