PDA

View Full Version : Meguiars MT300 Quick Review

Jaretr1
06-18-2015, 10:16 AM
Last night I got to use the MT300 that a friend of mine purchased. I did a few sections of the hood of his Suburban. Here are my impressions:

First off, this tool is relatively light, it might be the lightest DA out there now. Its also surprisingly smooth. Much smoother than a PC, but perhaps not quite a smooth as a Rupes. I would also say its relatively quiet. To my ears it seems a little quieter than the PC.

I cranked it to the recommended OPM for compounding and used as much pressure as I could and it would not stop spinning. The digital torque management Meguiars claims this tool has works. At lower speeds it would, but not at the higher speeds. We were using the Meguiars thin foam discs and those are probably optimal for this machine. They are thin, and with the lightness of the tool, makes a really nice combo.

I would say, for someone starting out, this tool should be the entry point now. It is more expensive than a PC or Griots GG6, but it is much smoother than either of those and with the torque management, as more than ample power.

If there are cons, its is still just an 8mm orbit (not long throw) and it is made in China (which to me is still a con).

Who should buy this tool? I think this tool is a great starting point. For someone that wants to upgrade from a PC or GG6, thats a tougher call. Its a definite improvement in terms of smoothness, but being its still an 8mm orbit, it wont cover the ground a long throw DA (Rupes and Griots) will. It really does kinda fit in the middle of the market in that respect. Since it has not been out that long, durability and reliability have not yet been established I do not think. We know the PC is durable, and the Griots have lifetime warranties. Only time will tell.

Hope this helps.

Meguiars MT300 Dual Action Polisher (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-mt300-dual-action-polisher.html)

Jaret

Marc08EX
06-18-2015, 10:27 AM
If I was in a market for my first DA, this will be my tool of choice.

Ccrew
06-18-2015, 10:35 AM

Wouldn't be mine. It's not a noticeable upgrade over the GG6, has the same throw, and doesn't carry a lifetime warranty like the GG6 does. It's not situated for the professional market, it's a hobbyist tool and as such that warranty becomes a much bigger factor as most hobbyists will only use a few times a year. Three years from now when they go to use it and it doesn't spin up the GG will still have a warranty and the Meguiars won't.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
06-18-2015, 10:36 AM

Agreed.

I personally love the professional tool layout compared to the PC style chassis. Not to mention the plunger style trigger as well as the trigger lock.

rj45
06-18-2015, 11:35 AM
Good review.

I purchased a new MT300, and immediately converted my 14 year old PC to a dedicated 3'' plate/pad system. Using a 5'' BP and Meguiar's new-style slim pads, the MT300 is miles better than my old PC. It's much more powerful and, as you said, the torque management has no problem keeping the pad spinning at higher orbit speeds.

The MT300 is also a lot smoother/quieter than the PC. It's not ultra-smooth, but its NVH is perfectly acceptable. My PC always did a decent job (albeit, somewhat slowly), but it was never enjoyable to use because of its annoying noise/vibration (noticeable at speed 5, downright buzzy at 6).

While pro-detailers may prefer the top machines, the MT300 is a great choice for the non-professional detailer.