PDA

View Full Version : DP Wheel Glaze-It's easy

Pages : [1] 2

wolfpacker92
09-08-2007, 12:33 PM
I have been reading on here numerous times how tough a lot of people thought it was to use the DP Wheel Glaze so they did not think it was worth the effort. Well I had never had a problem removing it so when I applied it to my Jeep Grand Cherokee's wheels yesterday I decided to time myself to see how long it actually took to remove it and I would include som pics to show the process.

I will start out saying that I apply it very thinly. I do the two tires on each side before removing. I did not time how long it took to apply as I don't think application is where people have concerns, but it goes on very quickly. All I do is shake the container so I get some on the cap. When I unscrew the cap I take my Wolfgang finger pocket and get a small amount on it from the cap. I spread evenly and thinly.

After application to both tires I use my Mother's mini powerball and remove probably 85-90% of it. The only areas I can't remove are the hard to reach areas. The Jeep tires I thought were a good test because although not the most difficult wheel design to do it is by far not the easiest I have done either.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x11/wolfpacker92/wheels/1.jpg
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x11/wolfpacker92/wheels/2.jpg

It took me 1 min. and 12 secs. to remove most of the glaze with the Powerball.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x11/wolfpacker92/wheels/3.jpg

After the Mini Powerball does what it can I remove what's left with a MF. I have used my MF gloves to do this and it works a little faster however I know not everyone has those so I figured I use what most here have. Remaining removal took 1 min. and 7 secs.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x11/wolfpacker92/wheels/4.jpg
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x11/wolfpacker92/wheels/5.jpg

And finally after dressing the tire with Surf City Beyond Black Tire Pro. This stuff is really thin not at all like the gels I had used in the past. I used this stuff on another vehicle I had done and didn't like the way it came out, but it was my fault for the poor performance. When it didn't look real well I PM'd Steven from Surf City Garage (I love having him on the forum) and told him what I had done and how the results looked. I had used a Cobra Foam Flex Applicator that I had been using for my DP Gloss Tire gel. Steven told me to use a Foam Flex dedicated just for Beyond Black and the results would be much better. He was right and the shine is exactly what I have been waiting for.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x11/wolfpacker92/wheels/6.jpg

So finally for 2 mins and 19 secs worth of work per wheel (total time would be 9 mins and 16 secs) I think the protection and shine are well worth it.

Rsurfer
09-08-2007, 03:03 PM
Nice write up Wolf. Rims and tires look sharp. Mini ball is a great tool for many jobs.

alban61
09-08-2007, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the review and pics. Like the look of SCG Beyond Black.....not too shiney. Now to see how long it lasts.

Pauly6401
09-08-2007, 04:51 PM
I haven't found DP Glaze to be all that hard to work with either. I think putting it on thinly is the key - which can be tough because so much of it likes to stick to your applicator if you use the whole jar at once. I'll have to try your shake and lid method.

Truls
09-08-2007, 05:06 PM
great write-up ther wolf, looks good

I use the mother PB to apply and then the Flitz PB to remove, the mother cleans great when used to apply product too. the flitz buffs it glossy after

Tonya
09-08-2007, 07:02 PM
I haven't found DP Glaze to be all that hard to work with either. I think putting it on thinly is the key -
:iagree:
I had to laugh when I read this. Al was helping with an application process one day and he said. You must put it on thin, very thin. "it's not mayo" hehehe :D~ Just thought I would share his wisdom!

Reddwarf
09-08-2007, 07:08 PM
Good write up. The DP and the PB products are both great and man are the wheels easy to clean over the subsequent weeks.

Your wheel and tire looks great! I like the look of the Surf City product. I'll be interested to hear how well it holds up.

wolfpacker92
09-08-2007, 07:17 PM
great write-up ther wolf, looks good

I use the mother PB to apply and then the Flitz PB to remove, the mother cleans great when used to apply product too. the flitz buffs it glossy after

Thanks Truls. I was wondering if anyone out there had used the Flitz. So you say it buffs very well, I've never tried it but just might have to.

Pauly6401- Yeah the shake and lid method works really really well.

I'll keep everyone posted on the durability of the SCG Beyond Black but as of right now I love it.

Gary Sword
09-08-2007, 09:23 PM
Nice Review. I definitely don't think DP Wheels Glaze is an easy product to remove especially compared to some others on the market. I have never used the Mother's Powerball. It does look like it would work well on wheels.

AL417
09-09-2007, 05:49 AM
Thanks for the review. The next time I use DP Wheel Glaze I'll have try the mini power ball. I don't find the glaze too hard to remove by hand but why not give the mpb a shot anyhow.

I like the look that the Surf City left on the tires. The Surf City line has been impressive so far. I like the idea that SC supports their product on this forum too, they seem to be very helpful.

Truls
09-09-2007, 12:21 PM
Yes wolf it buffs off well, but it has lots off loose stuff after it the first times used.

ive liked it more after ive used it some times, but only as a "buffer" not a applyer

budman3
09-09-2007, 12:27 PM
Those tires look sweet with the Surf City on there. I'm impressed with them as well.

The wheels also look great. The Poweball must have helped a lot in the removal process. I think people that complained were doing it all by hand. But the powerball sure does speed things up, and possibly made the wheels look better.

Great pictures and reviews. I appeciate it. :)

Jimmie
09-09-2007, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the review Wolf. Really enjoyed it and now I'm going to give DP Wheel Glaze another chance.
How did you get the tire dressing so tight around the white lettering? Looks good. You must have a trick.

FMINUS
09-09-2007, 01:21 PM
I think DP is easy to remove, like Gary said its not as easy as others.
Just dont wait too long.

Pauly6401
09-09-2007, 01:39 PM
I went out and looked at the rims of my 2000 Vette today. It had DP Wheel Glaze applied about 2-3 weeks ago now. It had rained (finally) in Florida earlier this week and that was the first time the car had been out since I treated the wheels in the rain. There were some dark spots and brake dust residue, but I just took a clean cloth and everything wiped right off with very little pressure.

I would say that even if the glaze is a little tricky to put on, it really works wonders with protecting the wheels and with removal. The rims still feel slick and just being able to wipe the dirt off is awesome!