PDA

View Full Version : I'm hooked on detailing and can't deny it.

Busy mind
06-16-2015, 06:37 PM
I tried accessing AGO last night and was met with a note saying the site was being worked on. I honestly had a withdrawal as a twinge of anger went through me. Haha...I must of reloaded the page a half dozen times within 3 minutes.

I've always enjoyed taking an object that's beat up and making it better. Although I can't work on the mechanics of a car anymore (permanent injuries sustained from traffic accident) I am grateful that I still have the ability to work on enhancing vehicles. Trying to make a business out of it has pushed me to be better and explore the best techniques.

This isn't a fad for me. For years I've been trying to figure out what I'll do next since I couldn't be a master tech. I only wish I got more serious about detailing sooner.
I love the research aspect of it and being greeted by customers with jacked up paint that I can revive. If only all my customers could afford the services I want for their cars. Lol
Anyways I lost my train of thought. All 3 of my boys woke up crying from a late nap.

Big thanks to those who share their knowledge and experience.

Kamakaz1961
06-16-2015, 07:17 PM
Welcome to AGO!! You will learn alot from here. I might not agree with some of the advice, however, it does not matter. Most of the people here on the AGO site are pretty cool people. Men and women....oops, let me be politically correct....the Hermaphrodites, the Transgenders, the Martians, and last but not least, them frickkin Vulcans!!!

expdetailing
06-16-2015, 07:34 PM
Welcome to AGO.
Just a bit of advice--buy your equipment and supplies as your company grows. Don't do it like I did it: Staring wide-eyed and excited while daydreaming about correcting paint and applying coatings to customers vehicles that I hadn't even had yet, but had to order stuff after stuff after stuff because I had to be ready.
Now, I'm trying to sell my "stuff" because the credit cards are hurting my bank account right now.
Sorry, if this doesn't fit you. Just my 2 cents...

Kamakaz1961
06-16-2015, 08:17 PM
Welcome to AGO.
Just a bit of advice--buy your equipment and supplies as your company grows. Don't do it like I did it: Staring wide-eyed and excited while daydreaming about correcting paint and applying coatings to customers vehicles that I hadn't even had yet, but had to order stuff after stuff after stuff because I had to be ready.
Now, I'm trying to sell my "stuff" because the credit cards are hurting my bank account right now.

BINGO!!!! Could have not said this any better. I detail for a hobby. I bought tons of stuff I never used and ended up getting rid of them at unreal prices and many cases free. Pick just a few products that you deem are the best FOR YOU. I would have saved about $2K had I narrowed it to specific products. I am down to about 2 different types of correcting/polishing and sealant brands. As for the carnauba Paste/liquid waxes....that's a problem.....I have about 20 different brands and look to buy more! I suck at the waxes part.

But do your research and buy the stuff for you!

Mask
06-16-2015, 10:49 PM
BINGO!!!! Could have not said this any better. I detail for a hobby. I bought tons of stuff I never used and ended up getting rid of them at unreal prices and many cases free. Pick just a few products that you deem are the best FOR YOU. I would have saved about $2K had I narrowed it to specific products. I am down to about 2 different types of correcting/polishing and sealant brands. As for the carnauba Paste/liquid waxes....that's a problem.....I have about 20 different brands and look to buy more! I suck at the waxes part.

Bingo! Guess I'm normal :D

Busy mind
06-17-2015, 12:07 AM
Welcome to AGO.

No that makes sense. I was buying stuff slowly and being smart about looking at used equipment, but then I missed out on a few jobs because I wasn't ready or didn't have the tools. I'm in buying mode now, but discipline myself that I need a plan to sell the service if I'm going to spend money on researching new products. Everything I make has gone back into the business.

My plan is to gain experience all summer/fall and figure out the packages I want to focus on and then hit it strong next February.

KBsToy
06-17-2015, 04:44 AM
Same here, I got the monkey on my back and after some time and money I have fiquired out the products that I like and try and to wait on sales and BOGO :)

tpr1634
06-17-2015, 05:21 AM
I also love this art form...........

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
06-17-2015, 06:00 AM
Can't get enough of it...

Jaretr1
06-17-2015, 07:53 AM
Welcome to AGO!! You will learn alot from here. I might not agree with some of the advice, however, it does not matter. Most of the people here on the AGO site are pretty cool people. Men and women....oops, let me be politically correct....the Hermaphrodites, the Transgenders, the Martians, and last but not least, them frickkin Vulcans!!!

I think you missed out the transracials (I didnt even know that was a thing until recently), and probably a bunch of other subsegments of humans and animals I cant think of :)

I am only a hobbiest (for the most part) and I do not want to even add up what I have bought. I buy new products before I have used what I had because I like to try new things, and find there are also better products then what I was using. Women buy 100's of pairs of shoes, I buy detailing products. There are a lot worse obessions to have I suppose.