PDA

View Full Version : Im trying to understand clearcoat

McCoy
06-16-2015, 11:04 AM
I read in a thread yesterday where somebody was buffing a black car (maybe it was the Porche thread?) and their pad was turning black? What causes this?
I thought cars were covered with clearcoat......so why would the basecoat paint be coming off?

Mantilgh
06-16-2015, 11:13 AM
It may have been a single stage paint, meaning it had no clear coat. Unless it just had a lot of imbedded contaminates, but typically these are mostly removed before the compounding/polishing step.

McCoy
06-16-2015, 12:12 PM
It may have been a single stage paint, meaning it had no clear coat. Unless it just had a lot of imbedded contaminates, but typically these are mostly removed before the compounding/polishing step.

I thought about single stage paint too. Do you know if there is a way to determine single paint vs multi-stage?

Another thing just hit me. In the same thread there was a mention that this paint was "soft." So the same theory applies, if the clear coat covers the paint, why does the strength of the paint matter?

Mantilgh
06-16-2015, 12:35 PM
One way to determine if it is single stage or clear coated it to use a light colored cloth and some polish on test spot and see if you get color transferring to your cloth or applicator. Or a dark cloth on a light color paint.

It was probably single stage black paint which is know to be soft. There are also soft and hard clear coats though

LSNAutoDetailing
06-16-2015, 02:08 PM
I thought about single stage paint too. Do you know if there is a way to determine single paint vs multi-stage?

Another thing just hit me. In the same thread there was a mention that this paint was "soft." So the same theory applies, if the clear coat covers the paint, why does the strength of the paint matter?

Start with this thread:
The Secret to Removing Oxidation and Restoring a Show Car Finish to Antique Single Stage Paints (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/25304-secret-removing-oxidation-restoring-show-car-finish-antique-single-stage-paints.html)

They may have meant the clear was soft, depends on the manufacturer. By nature, single stage is soft...

Clear-coats are baked at the factory at very high temps before any interior or wiring is added to the car. This is why they can harden the clear. A quick cure. Great strength, but hard to get out defects.

Bodyshops can't bake at those temps, thus the paint & clear takes time to cure. Leads to a softer clear-coat. The advantage is it's easier to get out defects.

trekkeruss
06-16-2015, 02:09 PM

It matters because it determines what pads and/or polishes you need to use, and how long a polishing will take. A soft paint will correct easier and faster.