PDA

View Full Version : DLux Tips

Pages : [1] 2

spewking
06-15-2015, 06:31 PM
I used CarPro DLux for the first time on a wheel (one wheel to test), front plastic grill, and side mirrors on my G35.

I need some help.

First, the product was quite difficult to remove, even with the suede. It was like trying to take off a dense compound. Is this your experience? Second, I let the product cure for 10-30 minutes in 90 degree and 90 pct humidity. Is this long enough? I applied again to a side mirror and let cure an hour and it was slightly easier to remove, but the same general idea. Maybe this is consistent with your experience, but I hadn't expected this and am worried that I did not apply correctly. Third, the surfaces do not feel slick to the touch, certainly not as slick as an LSP. Is that correct?

Perhaps this feel is what it is supposed to do to bond and for longevity. Is this your experience?

Thanks, David

rms64
06-15-2015, 06:36 PM
I think maybe your issue is letting it cure too long - directions state 1 - 10 minutes and in my experience 10 minutes is even pushing it.

Dlux isn't as easy to remove as wax but shouldn't be "gummy" if that's what I'm gathering from your description. Excessive product and / or curing too long is likely your problem. Also, the surface you're applying to should be spotlessly clean!

Good luck! :xyxthumbs:

Edit: the suede is for application - remove with a good microfiber...

Rsurfer
06-15-2015, 06:40 PM
You shouldn't be buffing the product off, rather just knocking it down.

spewking
06-15-2015, 06:48 PM
Oops maybe I messed up...thanks guys.

Have you had good results on plastic grills? Side mirror housings? Wheels?

Rsurfer
06-15-2015, 06:50 PM

Great product for that and headlights.

rms64
06-15-2015, 06:50 PM

Yes x 3! Dlux is great stuff and is the only product I've found that really restores faded trim. RSurfer is 100% correct - you shouldn't really be buffing it off but rather removing "high spots", somewhat akin to using a coating.

spewking
06-15-2015, 06:52 PM
Can I remove with an ipa or eraser and start over?

rms64
06-15-2015, 06:58 PM
Optimum powerclean and a good microfiber + a little careful elbow grease should take it off...

AGOatemywallet
06-15-2015, 07:04 PM
Directions for Plastic:

Make sure the surface is cool and dry. (Do not apply to hot surfaces or in direct sun.)

Scrub surface with an all purpose cleaner and microfiber towel

Rinse while agitating with microfiber towel to remove all residue from APC

Dry or allow to dry completely.

Wipe surface with Carpro Eraser.

Wet the applicator with 5-6 drops of DLUX and spread evenly across the surface.

On textured plastic simply apply even and walk away

On smooth plastic apply less thick and wipe to ensure even finish

Directions for Non-Porous (Paint and Metal):

Polish surface as needed

Wipedown with CarPro Eraser

On rims (metal, chrome, clear coat, etc) let cure 1 minute at 85 degrees F up to 10 minutes at 50 degrees F and use a suede MF to wipe it off gently, in a circle motion until no marks are left

rms64
06-15-2015, 07:05 PM
AGOatemywallet - my nomination for best forum name ever.

:xyxthumbs::xyxthumbs::xyxthumbs::xyxthumbs:

Rsurfer
06-15-2015, 07:11 PM
Can I remove with an ipa or eraser and start over?

Good luck this stuff is like body armor.

frankprozzoly
06-16-2015, 09:53 AM
I don't wipe down on plastic but on paint and the wheels it is sticky when wiping down. It didn't matter if I waited 2minutes or 15 minutes. Still was sticky and the MF kind of screws up the finish because the towel is sticking to it. Difficult to explain. One wheel was showing the pattern of the towel because of it sticking

06-16-2015, 09:59 AM
Directions for Plastic:

Make sure the surface is cool and dry. (Do not apply to hot surfaces or in direct sun.)

Scrub surface with an all purpose cleaner and microfiber towel

Rinse while agitating with microfiber towel to remove all residue from APC

Dry or allow to dry completely.

Wipe surface with Carpro Eraser.

Wet the applicator with 5-6 drops of DLUX and spread evenly across the surface.

On textured plastic simply apply even and walk away

On smooth plastic apply less thick and wipe to ensure even finish

Directions for Non-Porous (Paint and Metal):

Polish surface as needed

Wipedown with CarPro Eraser

On rims (metal, chrome, clear coat, etc) let cure 1 minute at 85 degrees F up to 10 minutes at 50 degrees F and use a suede MF to wipe it off gently, in a circle motion until no marks are left

:iagree: In addition, I've had great luck apply Dlux with those round cotton makeup pads...

aim4squirrels
06-16-2015, 10:32 AM
Anybody ever added a second coat well after the cure time to even out any odd spots?

I've got week old Dlux on the front lower spoiler and wondered if it's possible. Just don't want to make it worse than it is.

06-16-2015, 10:34 AM
Anybody ever added a second coat well after the cure time to even out any odd spots?

I've got week old Dlux on the front lower spoiler and wondered if it's possible. Just don't want to make it worse than it is.

I did no problem