PDA

View Full Version : Flex 3401vs Rupes 21

EuroTech
06-15-2015, 09:39 AM
I assume this topic has been the bane of decision for other people. The more I read the more confused I become, finally thinking Ok I'm certain the flex is right, until I read something else and want to pick up the Rupes.

1 Thoughts on the use of a 5" backing plate and KBM waster mod to increase the ability to use force and continue spinning. Would it be more comparable to the flex to correct paint by doing this?
Other advantages, disadvantages of this method, or other methods i haven't head of.

2 Is the Flex ability to remove paint defects that much greater than the rupes, or are other pad, back plate, combo's that i'm unaware of that have it in a league of its own as well.

3 Could you please provide me with major pro's and cons that any of have seen, experience. As well as where one they compare, excel or fall short vs. one and other. Thank you for your help it is greatly appreciated!

If its personal preference, I would prob want something that runs a little smoother in my hands from my understanding that would be rupes, however I don't want too have buyers remorse. One day detailing a car and i'm unable to get a better finish because i didn't go with flex.

(Sorry if these sentences are not the clearest.. pulled an all nighter researching detailing products. I want too pull the trigger on this!)

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
06-15-2015, 09:41 AM
First off, welcome to AutoGeekOnline!

This was just posted by another member. Worth the read.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/flex-polishers/92511-flex-first-time-experience.html

Mask
06-15-2015, 10:39 AM
hands on experience is the cure for this sickness :p
How you feel towards each machine made may different from others ^^
I tried rupes15 and its so easy to use. While flex to me is like a power spinning tank.
Personally I like both :D

EuroTech
06-15-2015, 10:42 AM
Thank you, absolutely and i'd like to have the funds to simply purchase both end of dicusion haha. Reading on that post "I didn't find the Flex to be any different than the Rupes in terms of ease of use / smoothness. "
I'm guessing you didn't find this to be the case? What do you like about themI.E. types of applications you would prefer to use one or the other?

Mask
06-16-2015, 10:18 AM
I like to compound with flex and polish with rupes.
Rotary to me finish a little better but with modern abrasive, a lot had change.
You can't go wrong with either one, hands on experience is the key.
I like to use flex with menzerna
Rupes with D300 wool pad and finish with m205 polishing pad
Rupes works great with UHS system.
As a hobbyist I'm looking for ease of use since i don't polish much, i go with rupes15 or duetto.

Nick McKees37
06-16-2015, 11:25 AM
My answer usually goes like this...

FLEX if you're doing production detailing and relying on the machine to put dinner on the table....Rupes if you're an enthusiast doing your own vehicles.

Now I'm not saying that the RUPES isn't capable of doing production work or heavy correction, I'm just an impatient person that wants to get the job done as soon as possible. The FLEX is a work horse of a tool and its ability to make paint shiny in a short period of time is astounding.

If I'm polishing my own personal vehicles (that I enjoy detailing, mind you), then I'm more likely to pick up the RUPES because it doesn't tax my body as much, and there's not as much of a rush to get the job done.

Hope that helps. :dblthumb2:

mbpress01
06-16-2015, 11:39 AM
Very interesting perspective Nick. As the endless debate continues on, I think time is somewhat limited for everyone and like you, I want the job done as soon as possible and in a way (since I sit in an office chair for 12 hours a day) taxing my body from the Flex is good thing on the weekend. I actually found the Rupes to be more taxing since on the vertical panels just trying to make the pad spin was way harder to do than a Flex and as the frustration level grew the more tired I became. IMHO Flex is the way.

Ccrew
06-16-2015, 11:51 AM
My answer is like this: People gravitate to recommending what it is they bought whether it's the best or not. They are sure it's the best because they bought it. So generally take these threads and figure what they're worth.

I own multiple. The Flex IMHO is good if you think you need to put 200 lbs of body weight on a tool to make it work. Any gorilla with a trigger finger can get it to cut, and it takes about as much intelligence too. If you can grunt you can get a Flex to cut.

The Rupes is a finesse tool. It'll cut as well and finish in my experience better than a Flex, but you have to match pad to product to paint. It requires a modicum of patience and intelligence. It's a tool in a larger art form. The Flex is a tool also, but more along the lines of a bigger hammer. Forced rotation is great for the Neanderthal that can't find a different pressure.

Now that said, neither Rupes or Flex will do anything a Griots 6" or a PC, or even a $49 HF DA won't do, it'll just do it faster. There's no magic in the decision.

Now, for reference, I own a PC, a Griots 3" and 6", a Rupes 15, and a Flex PE8, 3403, and 3401. So I have the tools to compare.

JSou
06-16-2015, 11:54 AM
My answer is like this: People gravitate to recommending what it is they bought whether it's the best or not. They are sure it's the best because they bought it. So generally take these threads and figure what they're worth.

I own multiple. The Flex IMHO is good if you think you need to put 200 lbs of body weight on a tool to make it work. Any gorilla with a trigger finger can get it to cut, and it takes about as much intelligence too. If you can grunt you can get a Flex to cut.

The Rupes is a finesse tool. It'll cut as well and finish in my experience better than a Flex, but you have to match pad to product to paint. It requires a modicum of patience and intelligence. It's a tool in a larger art form. The Flex is a tool also, but more along the lines of a bigger hammer. Forced rotation is great for the Neanderthal that can't find a different pressure.

Now that said, neither Rupes or Flex will do anything a Griots 6" or a PC, or even a $49 HF DA won't do, it'll just do it faster. There's no magic in the decision.

Now, for reference, I own a PC, a Griots 3" and 6", a Rupes 15, and a Flex PE8, 3403, and 3401. So I have the tools to compare.

Beautifully put. :dblthumb2:

dlc95
06-16-2015, 12:11 PM

It's all in how the operator chooses to use it. From the rotary to the pc, the approach for me was always finess. I've never used much if any downward pressure on my machines. Not when I used the rotary, not when I use the 3401, 7424xp, or Duetto.

I currently have the 3401, 7424xp, Duetto, and Craftsman 5" palm sander on the shelf, and use the PC most of the time.

Once you have top quality tools, liquids, and pads, the rest is left up to the operator.

Ccrew
06-16-2015, 12:16 PM
Once you have top quality tools, liquids, and pads, the rest is left up to the operator.

That sir is a statement I can agree with. But as you yourself are an example when you say you use the PC - it's not always about getting the most expensive. There's a lot of misinformation on this site in people getting told they "should get x" for a polisher when most of the time they don't need it and it's just a tool envy thing which even I'm known to be guilty of. :xyxthumbs: