PDA

View Full Version : Rough Paint

Pages : [1] 2

CavScout10
06-14-2015, 02:37 PM
Looks like this guy washed his truck with a scotch brite pad... Looking for opinions on what may work best.. Whole truck is like this. I told him get a new paint job... He didn't laugh..

Kamakaz1961
06-14-2015, 02:40 PM
You might want to try a test spot and see if she is salvageable. Try Compound and then Polish......I would say wet sand, however, I think you may be correct...get a paint job.

I would like to see what you decided if at all. But I also think it would be cool if you could save her.....if not at least you tried!!

CavScout10
06-14-2015, 03:02 PM
I've never really used and heavy compounds. And suggestions for products?

Kamakaz1961
06-14-2015, 03:07 PM
I've never really used and heavy compounds. And suggestions for products?

I would try FG400 or Wolfgangs Swirl remover or Megs 105. They are heavier compound. I know AGO has a chart that shows the strength of each brand.

IMO you will need to compound 1st with an Orange Lake Country Pad (at the least or maybe bump up to a yellow pad)

Either way IMO polish will not fix this...compound may....but still do a test spot before tackling this...I would go with caution....

asalesagent912
06-14-2015, 03:11 PM
Try menzerna fg400. very good compound and fairly easy to use.

CavScout10
06-14-2015, 03:25 PM
Thanks guys! Can't really hurt it anymore than what it is!

fly07sti
06-14-2015, 03:28 PM
What tools/products do you currently have? What brand truck is that? GM?

CavScout10
06-14-2015, 03:34 PM
It's a Dodge Ram 2500. I have no heavy compounds. PC 7424XP with LC Yellow Orange Green pads. 3D speed. Pinnacle advance swirl remover. Carpro fixer and carpro polish

Setec Astronomy
06-14-2015, 03:42 PM
I would try FG400 or Wolfgangs Swirl remover or Megs 105. They are heavier compound.

I think you mean Wolfgang Uber Compound.

OP, are you going to order something or try to get something locally? I believe that Pep Boys (and maybe Advance or Auto Zone) carries M105 in the body repair (not detailing) aisle. Or you can get Meg's Ultimate Compound at Wal-Mart. Use one of them on your yellow pad and see what happens.

fly07sti
06-14-2015, 03:46 PM
Try fixer with yellow pad to see if that will do anything. If not, and you want to get something local. I'd suggest getting some M105 to use with the yellow pad. If you want to order, I'd recommend some Megs MF discs and some M100 or M101 to cut wih. HD speed would most likely be enough to polish out after compounding. Only way to find out is to give it shot. Just remember to have that PC cranked up and slooow arm movement. Good luck

Kamakaz1961
06-14-2015, 03:50 PM
It's a Dodge Ram 2500. I have no heavy compounds. PC 7424XP with LC Yellow Orange Green pads. 3D speed. Pinnacle advance swirl remover. Carpro fixer and carpro polish

IMO the PC7424 XP you will be working for a long time!! I have one and the PC (IMO) for that job will kill you!!! IMO you should have a more powerful DA for that. At the minimum the GG6".

I have a Flex 3401 and that is my workhorse DA. The PC is now delegated for minor correcting and sealant/wax application.

The Dodge Ram 2500 is too big for the PC...again, my opinion and I hope I have not sounded arrogant. I have had some very long correcting times with the PC and the Flex changed all that. The Rupes or the new Boss would be another great alternative.

But do get some compound like FG400

Either way whether you do this or not let us know.

:buffing:

CavScout10
06-14-2015, 03:57 PM
Thank you everyone. I'll let you know what I pick up and try it out!

jsgntulok
06-14-2015, 04:48 PM
IMO the PC7424 XP you will be working for a long time!! I have one and the PC (IMO) for that job will kill you!!! IMO you should have a more powerful DA for that. At the minimum the GG6".

I have a Flex 3401 and that is my workhorse DA. The PC is now delegated for minor correcting and sealant/wax application.

The Dodge Ram 2500 is too big for the PC...again, my opinion and I hope I have not sounded arrogant. I have had some very long correcting times with the PC and the Flex changed all that. The Rupes or the new Boss would be another great alternative.

But do get some compound like FG400

Either way whether you do this or not let us know.

:buffing:
I agree about trying this with a PC. You will wear yourself out on such a big truck. Is this a job for a client or a friend? Considering the condition now, what are the owner's intentions as to routine care after you do the work, if you decide to do the work? If he/she plans to continue taking it through the Swirl-O-Matic big brush car washes, I would walk away. If you decide to do this job, I hope you have a LOT of pads. With compounds and heavy duty polish, be careful, especially when using yellow pads.

asalesagent912
06-14-2015, 06:50 PM
As some have recommended megs 105 and i don't disagree with them as far as being a good compound but you said you never used a compound before as it is hard to use for a beginner. It dries up fast and hard to get off it you dont spray with water. In my opinion to do a truck like this with that compound would drive you nuts. Thats why i recommended fg400.

VISITOR
06-14-2015, 09:54 PM
Try fixer with yellow pad to see if that will do anything. If not, and you want to get something local. I'd suggest getting some M105 to use with the yellow pad. If you want to order, I'd recommend some Megs MF discs and some M100 or M101 to cut wih. HD speed would most likely be enough to polish out after compounding. Only way to find out is to give it shot. Just remember to have that PC cranked up and slooow arm movement. Good luck

:iagree: