PDA

View Full Version : Coatings?

Pages : [1] 2

LSNAutoDetailing
06-14-2015, 01:59 PM
Opti gloss coat, C Quartz, C Quartz UK

If I'm just starting to learn about these coatings, is there pro's and cons to each?
Why would someone say go with one over the other?

VP Mark
06-14-2015, 02:16 PM
Gloss coat is the easiest to apply, in my humble opinion looks the best (although that is mostly a prep result), has excellent durability, but has a high price point. 10cc of gloss coat is enough to do 2 sedans.

silverfox
06-14-2015, 02:20 PM
Imo cquartz coatings aren't for beginners. Stick with optimum gloss coat or blackfire.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
06-14-2015, 02:22 PM
Go with the BlackFire Coating. It is extremely user friendly that produces great results.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/92484-blackfire-coating-wash-beading-sheeting-videos-photoshoot.html

builthatch
06-14-2015, 02:32 PM
Gloss coat is the easiest to apply, in my humble opinion looks the best (although that is mostly a prep result), has excellent durability, but has a high price point. 10cc of gloss coat is enough to do 2 sedans.

good post. agree. prep part is so valid.

though i'd argue $60 isn't high for something that lasts so long...and compared to what people pay for other stuff around here, but i guess it's all relative compared to bigger bottles of competing coatings. i get it.

Ebg18t
06-14-2015, 03:35 PM
I recently used GC. It is definitely easier to apply than CQUK. But CQUK darkened/deepened the color which I liked. GC looked nice and shiny though.

Both are quality products and both fan very passionate fans. I like the look of CQUK and I will continue to use CQUK.

BlackFire coating is picking up a lot of steam with lot of great reviews. Be another option to look at.

VP Mark
06-14-2015, 03:36 PM
good post. agree. prep part is so valid.

though i'd argue $60 isn't high for something that lasts so long...and compared to what people pay for other stuff around here, but i guess it's all relative compared to bigger bottles of competing coatings. i get it.

Yeah you do get a lot more applications of the lesser cost coatings.

I really like DP Paint Coating for example, but even though you get 10-15 coatings per bottle, the quality is just not near as higher cost products from Optimum or CarPro.

jsgntulok
06-14-2015, 04:59 PM
Go with the BlackFire Coating. It is extremely user friendly that produces great results.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/92484-blackfire-coating-wash-beading-sheeting-videos-photoshoot.html
Follow Mike's advice here regarding Blackfire Coating. Before starting, be sure to view his video from a couple of weeks ago of the application process. I have to second what he cautions in that video about using too much product. A little bit does indeed go a long way. My first time using it, I used approx 1oz to do a 2015 Subaru Outback. That was too much. I have some subtle streaking on the sides. Be sure to use the Blackfire Paint Prep.

zmcgovern45
06-15-2015, 08:48 AM
Let's be perfectly honest.... all of the products you mentioned are great. Regardless of your choice, you're going to have great protection on your vehicle assuming all of the necessary steps are followed.

I am a long time CQuartz user, but I will also agree that Gloss Coat is just so darn easy. Of the 3 you mentioned, UK is certainly the most "finicky" to apply, CQuartz Classic is certainly less finicky, and Gloss Coat is downright easy.

Each of the products share their own unique traits in their chemical makeup which then translates to different appearance and/or physical characteristics. Gloss Coat seems to be rich with polymers as it leaves a very slick feeling compared to any other coating I have felt. UK contains a high silica content at around 70% pure silica (quartz), and darkens the paint considerably which makes it look absolutely stunning on jet black paint. CQuartz Classic has been improved in 2014 with the addition of Titanium nanotech and a stronger chemical resistance than before. I find that Classic really makes metallic flakes POP!

All will bead water well initially, but will likely fade overtime depending on your environment, therefore coating toppers can be used to further enhance the hydrophobic surface.

So again - you can't really go wrong with any of them. Choosing a coating is like choosing a wax... you can't simply ask "which is the best" and get a unanimous answer. Everyone will like something for one reason or another, you just have to try some out to determine what is going to be your personal favorite.

-Zach

Audios S6
06-15-2015, 10:20 AM
Gloss coat is the easiest to apply....... has excellent durability........10cc of gloss coat is enough to do 2 sedans.

Does it really have excellent durability? It's been said by a rep on the OPT forum that OGC may be removed by strong solvents; that's problematic if you ever need to get a spot of tar off, or if you use the wrong paint cleaner for that matter. I'm not saying OGC is bad, but excellent durability/chemical resistance are not among my expectations for it.

CQuartz coatings can suffer a similar fate from prolonged extreme alkaline or acidic conditions. My expectations are a little better for them, but still not in the category of excellent.

I guess I'm still bitter about OC2.0 :(

LSNAutoDetailing
06-15-2015, 11:21 AM
This is all great information! Because of this thread I've now taken a look at Blackfire and the videos Mike did. I carefully worded my question above as not to ask which is best, but rather, why someone go with one over the other. Could be the same thing I guess.

So far I'm hearing great things about all the products. I would imagine the CQ UK is engineered for the absolute damp conditions in UK. (I lived there for 3 years...) Even on a sunny day, the car and roads were covered in dew in the morning or from a early passing shower.

I live in NH now, and winters are harsh (4' of snow last year). That equals a lot of chemicals on the ground (sand / salt / chemical mix, over-spray on the highway), all bad for cars!

I'm new to learning about coatings, so thank you all for taking the time to chime in.

aim4squirrels
06-15-2015, 11:37 AM
Swanicyouth has a post about OC 2.0 giving up the ghost after a harsh winter if I recall, maybe he'll chime in here to confirm.

My suggestion for your climate would be to coat before the long winter and expect to revisit yearly. In that case, probably go with a coating you can get several applications out of. I can't say for the black fire as I haven't used it, but the pinnacle black label coating was initially very slick to the touch, and my 20+ month old bottle of it hasn't hardened up yet.

I chose gloss coat this time around and it was ridiculously easy to apply and remove high spots, I'd say fool proof if you just bother to check it in the sun.

Here's my thread about it:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/92419-2008-dodge-challenger-srt8-works.html

trekkeruss
06-15-2015, 11:40 AM
My vehicle sits outside 24/7. While the weather here in the D.C. area isn't as winter harsh as NH, I chose to use CQUK for my first coating experience. I bought the kit last year, but didn't install it until February, when I had the opportunity to use a garage (in California!) for an extended period of time. I'd read that CQ can be temperamental to apply, but I found it quite easy.

I don't know if my experience is unique, but the hydrophobic nature of it didn't seem to last as long as I would have expected. The finish is/was still beautiful, but a couple of weeks ago I noticed the water beading after a rain was rather weak. I clayed the car and put on Reload (the leftover I had came with the kit). It's back to tight beads.

HUMP DIESEL
06-15-2015, 12:18 PM
Let's be perfectly honest.... all of the products you mentioned are great. Regardless of your choice, you're going to have great protection on your vehicle assuming all of the necessary steps are followed.

I am a long time CQuartz user, but I will also agree that Gloss Coat is just so darn easy. Of the 3 you mentioned, UK is certainly the most "finicky" to apply, CQuartz Classic is certainly less finicky, and Gloss Coat is downright easy.

Each of the products share their own unique traits in their chemical makeup which then translates to different appearance and/or physical characteristics. Gloss Coat seems to be rich with polymers as it leaves a very slick feeling compared to any other coating I have felt. UK contains a high silica content at around 70% pure silica (quartz), and darkens the paint considerably which makes it look absolutely stunning on jet black paint. CQuartz Classic has been improved in 2014 with the addition of Titanium nanotech and a stronger chemical resistance than before. I find that Classic really makes metallic flakes POP!

All will bead water well initially, but will likely fade overtime depending on your environment, therefore coating toppers can be used to further enhance the hydrophobic surface.

So again - you can't really go wrong with any of them. Choosing a coating is like choosing a wax... you can't simply ask "which is the best" and get a unanimous answer. Everyone will like something for one reason or another, you just have to try some out to determine what is going to be your personal favorite.

-Zach

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::i agree::iagree:

glfnaz
06-15-2015, 12:56 PM
Swanicyouth has a post about OC 2.0 giving up the ghost after a harsh winter if I recall, maybe he'll chime in here to confirm.

My suggestion for your climate would be to coat before the long winter and expect to revisit yearly. In that case, probably go with a coating you can get several applications out of. I can't say for the black fire as I haven't used it, but the pinnacle black label coating was initially very slick to the touch, and my 20+ month old bottle of it hasn't hardened up yet.

I chose gloss coat this time around and it was ridiculously easy to apply and remove high spots, I'd say fool proof if you just bother to check it in the sun.

Here's my thread about it:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/92419-2008-dodge-challenger-srt8-works.html

Aim

Thanks for posting this. I have the Pinnacle Black Label coating and was curios about the shelf life of the bottle. You are 20 months and still good to go? Great news.
:xyxthumbs:
How long have you had a single coat on a car and how has it performed? How do you maintain it?