PDA

View Full Version : pads

Mike@ShineStruck
06-14-2015, 10:28 AM
My first polisher shall arive Wednesday
comes with 5 pads of difference cource/colors

Just wondering how many pads one should have to complete a car?
worst case scenerio ie
buff/cut/compound, polish, sealant, wax

bill walsh
06-14-2015, 10:38 AM
i would think at least 2 of each pad for being able to clean pads on the fly

ski2
06-14-2015, 10:58 AM
At least 4 to compound, 4 to polish then one (dedicated) to each LSP you plan to use. Here's a post by Mike Phillips regarding number of pads: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/88109-how-many-pads-do-i-need-buff-out-my-car.html

Using one or two pads for an entire car per step is setting yourself up for failure--poor results, melted pads etc.

VISITOR
06-14-2015, 12:54 PM
one can never have enough pads (or mf towels) and you should have at least 3-4 of each (for correction) to start and it depends on how much product you use, the size of the vehicle, and condition...

Mike@ShineStruck
06-14-2015, 02:11 PM
good deal so pretty much
6 for correction
4 for polishing
1 for finishing
i got the boss 21 with 6.5 pads
thought about chaning order to 5in BP with 5.5 pads but
will prob get a rupes mini with 3in pad
i'd imagine that combo should take on anything

which pads would you guys recommend?
i already have 1 of each of the 5 griot pads(1 MF 4 foam)

ski2
06-14-2015, 02:46 PM
If you can afford the Griot's pads--go for it. They've gotten great reviews and you can't go wrong sticking with the system. I'm going to stick with B&S pads on my G15--hopefully they'll do well since I have a ton of them until their new pads come out later in the summer.

Mike@ShineStruck
06-15-2015, 08:21 AM
Yeah i just purchased a couple more 2 packs of the yellow and the orange pads for now at 6.5

Hopefully that'll do me well..if not looks like ill buy a couple of white pads or MF
Not really sticking with the system as i wont be using their polish/wax
Right now i just have WG uber all in one and 3d adapt
ill prob get some Menzura powerlock and Carpro reflect down the line

dlc95
06-15-2015, 03:04 PM
I always carry four of each cutting and polishing, but usually end up using two of each...

trekkeruss
06-15-2015, 03:59 PM
I have three/four pads each for compounding and polishing, but I have only polished out an entire car all in one-go, once. Usually I'll just polish out a section or two one day, another one or two another day, until I've completed the car. So normally I only need one or two.

I use a single finishing pad for spreading wax.