PDA

View Full Version : Ughhh Black Swirls on Porsche.

luciddaydream
06-12-2015, 05:36 PM
Hello

I have a porsche, that on a cloudy day when clean looks beautiful.

But on a sunny day, you see all of its flaws.

I guess this is the price I have to pay for having a black car... but I didn't raelize that when I bought it.

Today I washed it and looked at it. it was just detailed and polished. I see tons of swirls and stuff on it.

Is there any process to completely make this thing look freshly painted? The first time I ever used this detailer I thought it look fantastic, but perhaps the day wasn't totally sunny so I didn't see the swirls.

Also, the detailer also mentioned this new coating that they wrap entire cars with. He said its self-healing and that you cannot even tell its on the car. Are you guys aware of this product?

Anyway, sorry for this generic question, I am sure many have asked similar things on here.

I am just curious if its possible to totally revive the car's paint. I like to take care of this thing but its sad its looking like this.

Also, what are the best colors for cars? I assume white is the best. But would a dark metallic silver hide the swirls a lot more? If so, how much more?

Thanks a lot

Rsurfer
06-12-2015, 05:46 PM
I don't think there are paints softer than a black Porsche.If you look at it, it will swirl. Get a foam gun, two buckets, maybe three with grit guards and dry with a Metro Blower.

Kamakaz1961
06-12-2015, 05:51 PM
You can revive the paint YES INDEED! As for your detailer.....if it were me he/she would no longer be my detailer. As for the coating about self healing I am not so sure about that. Either way if you are going to put on a coating or sealant or wax they car needs to be prepped correctly.

Based on what you are saying he/she FAILED. As for coming in for a re-do by him I wouldn't even waste the time.

Pics would help for a better answer. I will be doing a full correction detail this weekend and it is a Porsche Boxster. It is in really bad shape swirls galore and probably hasn't been detailed in a couple of years.

Once its done I can tell you what procedure I did as well as pics for before an after. I believe the color is gun metallic grey.

But bottom line FIRE your detailer and if it was me I would inquire on this SITE to see if there is any detailer that lives near your area to correct your ride. Most people here on AGO are good detailers. That's my opinion.

Kamakaz1961
06-12-2015, 05:55 PM
As for the procedure if it was any decent detailer he would have done these steps FYI

1. Wash/Decontaminate (Iron X)
2. Clayed
3. Compound
4. Polished
5. Sealant/Wax or both OR Coating

These are just the steps he should have done. I own a Black car and there are no swirls on my ride. Yours should be the same. Again, your detailer is the problem.

VP Mark
06-12-2015, 05:56 PM
You can revive the paint YES INDEED! As for your detailer.....if it were me he/she would no longer be my detailer. As for the coating about self healing I am not so sure about that. Either way if you are going to put on a coating or sealant or wax they car needs to be prepped correctly.

Based on what you are saying he/she FAILED. As for coming in for a re-do by him I wouldn't even waste the time.

Pics would help for a better answer. I will be doing a full correction detail this weekend and it is a Porsche Boxster. It is in really bad shape swirls galore and probably hasn't been detailed in a couple of years.

Once its done I can tell you what procedure I did as well as pics for before an after. I believe the color is gun metallic grey.

But bottom line FIRE your detailer and if it was me I would inquire on this SITE to see if there is any detailer that lives near your area to correct your ride. Most people here on AGO are good detailers. That's my opinion.

Whoa whoa, hold on here. You don't know this detailer, or what he or she was supposed to do during the service. The OP might have simply paid for a wash and wax job, heck the detailer might not even offer or know what paint correction is.

Just because you did not get the desired results does not mean that the person doing the work failed. Let's get the whole story before throwing this person under the bus.

Kamakaz1961
06-12-2015, 06:04 PM
Whoa whoa, hold on here. You don't know this detailer, or what he or she was supposed to do during the service. The OP might have simply paid for a wash and wax job, heck the detailer might not even offer or know what paint correction is.

Just because you did not get the desired results does not mean that the person doing the work failed. Let's get the whole story before throwing this person under the bus.

You are absolutely correct!! My bad and hopefully I did not offend anyone. I was just basing this on the OP'S comments and my assumption that he did a full correction and paid for it.

If so I stand by what I say if not and find out that I mis-interpreted this whole post and I have egg on my face I do apologize.

nyjetfan
06-12-2015, 06:08 PM
OP - can you detail the maintenance a you do to the car? You mention washing it, so what process and products do you use? Has the car ever bee. To the automatic car wash or the like? Does your dealer/mechanic wash it after servicing? Good news is that it can be fixed but if it was me I'd want to figure out how the swirls got there or the benefit of a correction would be short lived. Not implying OP has done anything wrong, just that I for one would hate to spend days or pay several hundred on paint correction. Only to see it happen again

FUNX650
06-12-2015, 06:19 PM
I wonder if the "self-healing Coating" your detailer was
talking about, could be a paint protection film (PPF),
like XPel's Ultimate PPF?

Bob

Billy Baldone
06-12-2015, 06:27 PM
OP, where do you live?

Billy Baldone
06-12-2015, 06:34 PM
With some leg work, I discovered you live in Minnesota. You need to just take it to Chad at Rasky's

custmsprty
06-12-2015, 06:58 PM
I wonder if the "self-healing Coating" your detailer was
talking about, could be a paint protection film (PPF),
like XPel's Ultimate PPF?

Bob

And the PPF Bob noted would cost a lot of $$$$$.

And if the paint wasn't perfect before application then all that is accomplished is protecting all the swirl marks.

I'm with the rest of these guys, we need to know exactly what services the detailer performed and pictures of your vehicle would help. Their are quite a few posts on this forum of outstanding looking Porsche's

Check this one out, SC does amazing work and this is his personal vehicle. Outstanding work!!

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/91513-porsche-carrera-s-coated.html

pcar crazy
06-12-2015, 07:31 PM
I have Porsches that are 2 black, 2 white, 1 red and 1 blue. The black cars get swirls in the paint during a swift chicago wind, lol. The 2 black cars are a full time job. The rest hide the swirls pretty good.

The key is to correct the paint and then take great care and do everthing possible while maintaining them to not put the swirls back in. Foam gun, power wash, blow dry.. Pain in the ar$$ but, very nice when they are clean :)

FocusSTguy
06-12-2015, 08:09 PM
What condition was the paint when you took it to the detailer? What was the detailer supposed to do, wash and wax, paint correction? Last question what is your wash procedure?

luciddaydream
06-13-2015, 03:23 AM
You guys are the kindest people on any forum I have ever found. I find most of the time on internet forums people kind of suck these days. Thank you. Ok Billy I will try to find Chad! Thanks guys

Billy Baldone
06-13-2015, 07:37 AM
Just be aware, when you do find him, ive seen some of his videos, and he is super handsome