PDA

View Full Version : Layering waxes

Pages : [1] 2

Souldetailer
06-12-2015, 04:45 PM
Hey Y'all,

Do you layer waxes and why? I have a fine layer of Collinite 476 on my vehicle and plan to do a second coat tomorrow. Do you believe that an additional coat on another product will enhance what you have already applied. Different waxes that is. Thanks for your input.

Peace,

Darrin

conquistador
06-12-2015, 04:54 PM
I don't believe in layering

Rsurfer
06-12-2015, 04:57 PM
Hey Y'all,

Do you layer waxes and why? I have a fine layer of Collinite 476 on my vehicle and plan to do a second coat tomorrow. Do you believe that an additional coat on another product will enhance what you have already applied. Different waxes that is. Thanks for your input.

Peace,

Darrin

Applying two coats of the same wax will work as the second coat may cover some areas that was missed the first time.

Most waxes have solvents to keep it spreadable and will remove some of the first layer. Using a spritz of water on each panel will help to dissolve the solvent (spit shine).

IMO you should stay with the same wax if you want to layer. A lot of guys will lay down a sealant as a base coat and top it with a carnuba wax to give it depth.

Kamakaz1961
06-12-2015, 05:44 PM
I like to layer my waxes. I use a sealant 1st then a wax and in about 3 to 5 days RW and then put a 2nd layer (max 3rd). Additionally, I think with a 2nd coat the gloss and depth and wet look really stand out.

JHL88
06-12-2015, 07:31 PM
2 coats max. for me

custmsprty
06-12-2015, 07:53 PM
I like to layer my waxes. I use a sealant 1st then a wax and in about 3 to 5 days RW and then put a 2nd layer (max 3rd). Additionally, I think with a 2nd coat the gloss and depth and wet look really stand out.

2 coats max. for me

:iagree:

Mask
06-12-2015, 11:30 PM
2 coats of same wax for even coverage ^^

DogRescuer
06-13-2015, 03:55 AM
[QUOTE=Rsurfer

Most waxes have solvents to keep it spreadable and will remove some of the first layer. Using a spritz of water on each panel will help to dissolve the solvent

I love this idea

silverfox
06-13-2015, 05:18 AM
Layering waxes has only one practical result...it ensures equal and total coverage. Layering doesn't prolong durability imo. As far as changing the looks...that's subjective.

JHL88
06-13-2015, 07:24 AM
Layering waxes has only one practical result...it ensures equal and total coverage. Layering doesn't prolong durability imo. As far as changing the looks...that's subjective.

As far as this thread goes DODO JUICE FORUMS • View topic - Colour Charging 2... no hype, no BS, just the TEST RESULTS (http://forum.dodojuice.com/viewtopic.php?t=2011) its not subjective. Its fact that layering changes looks on these color charged waxes. It really depends on the wax you use.

KBsToy
06-13-2015, 08:07 AM
Applying two coats of the same wax will work as the second coat may cover some areas that was missed the first time.

Most waxes have solvents to keep it spreadable and will remove some of the first layer. Using a spritz of water on each panel will help to dissolve the solvent (spit shine).

IMO you should stay with the same wax if you want to layer. A lot of guys will lay down a sealant as a base coat and top it with a carnuba wax to give it depth.

Carnauba for me :)

swanicyouth
06-13-2015, 08:37 AM
Waste of time, energy, and product.

Do one coat, take your time and do it right - call it a day.

Mike Honcho
06-13-2015, 08:42 AM
My thinking is the rubbing and buffing not only puts new wax on but it also takes some of the old wax off. Does that make sense?

Mask
06-13-2015, 08:43 AM
Just like doing wheels off detail , do it once and right ^^
Slow and steady!

FUNX650
06-13-2015, 09:05 AM
My thinking is the rubbing and buffing not only puts
new wax on but it also takes some of the old wax off.

Does that make sense?

And Black Maple Hill is my bourbon, of choice.
Now it does... :)

Bob