PDA

View Full Version : The HORROR ... MY OWN FATHER!!!

Don M
06-12-2015, 07:35 AM
My dad has been in a funk lately, he has Parkinson's and it's really made his life rough. But recently he's gotten some of his piss & vinegar back and has been working on his '79 'vette. He doesn't drive anymore so I help him when he needs to run errands. Well the vette has been in his garage for a few years and needed a new battery. I took him to Advance Auto Parts for a battery and when he came out, in addition to the battery, he had A GREEN CAN OF TURTLE WAX/HARD SHELL ... :eek: ... FOR THE CORVETTE!!!, which is BLACK!! :poke:

Now it looks like I'm going to have to conduct covert operations to make sure that can of, ugh I can hardly say it, that can of ... Turtle Wax is eliminated with extreme prejudice.

BTW, is anyone looking to pick up a brand new, unopened can of TW on the cheap? ;)

Klasse Act
06-12-2015, 07:49 AM
Sorry to hear about your Dad first and foremost. As far as the unopened TW, well, just walk up to a stranger and give it to them:props:

FUNX650
06-12-2015, 07:51 AM
BTW, is anyone looking to pick up a brand new, unopened can of TW on the cheap? ;)
No, not right at the moment:
I still have about a half-a-tin of
TW-Hard Shell out in the garage.

Bob

aim4squirrels
06-12-2015, 08:32 AM
If you (or dad) do any wood working, wax the deck of your table saw, router, drill press, band saw, etc. with it. Makes the wood so much easier to glide across the table surface.

I'm serious about that. It really does work.

Don M
06-12-2015, 08:47 AM
...As far as the unopened TW, well, just walk up to a stranger and give it to them:props:

So you want me to risk handing a can of TW to a complete stranger and having them turn out to be a detailing freak? You trying to get me killed?

NYV6Coupe
06-12-2015, 09:40 AM
Here's what I did for my Dad, different issue but you'll see it'll work for you.

My Dad used to use Roundup on his lawn to sure-kill dandelions & weeds, leaving large brown circles of dead grass that drove my Mom nuts. I picked up a bottle of Weed-Be-Gone & put it in the Roundup sprayer after a thorough soapy rinsing.

Now Dad can kill the weeds & Mom doesn't want to kill Dad.

Get the TW out of the TW tub & replace it with something you find suitable. I've used a double broiler method (no direct heat) to melt the remaining 476 from the old school tin & migrate it to a new container so it can cool....I hate to waste anything.

Don M
06-12-2015, 09:53 AM
Here's what I did for my Dad, different issue but you'll see it'll work for you.

My Dad used to use Roundup on his lawn to sure-kill dandelions & weeds, leaving large brown circles of dead grass that drove my Mom nuts. I picked up a bottle of Weed-Be-Gone & put it in the Roundup sprayer after a thorough soapy rinsing.

Now Dad can kill the weeds & Mom doesn't want to kill Dad.

Get the TW out of the TW tub & replace it with something you find suitable. I've used a double broiler method (no direct heat) to melt the remaining 476 from the old school tin & migrate it to a new container so it can cool....I hate to waste anything.

I think I'm just going to go over and give his car a compound/polish/seal (swirls and scratches and RIDS ... Oh My!) and kind of "borrow" the TW and 'lose' it somewhere

kevin_1981
06-12-2015, 10:45 AM
Sorry about your father. Did he remember to pick up some shop rags to remove the turtle wax? :)

evo77
06-12-2015, 12:37 PM
I don't have direct experience with TW wax but what makes it so bad that its looked upon as being a horrible choice? Is it because its an OTC product?

Kamakaz1961
06-12-2015, 12:58 PM
My dad has been in a funk lately, he has Parkinson's and it's really made his life rough. But recently he's gotten some of his piss & vinegar back and has been working on his '79 'vette. He doesn't drive anymore so I help him when he needs to run errands. Well the vette has been in his garage for a few years and needed a new battery. I took him to Advance Auto Parts for a battery and when he came out, in addition to the battery, he had A GREEN CAN OF TURTLE WAX/HARD SHELL ... :eek: ... FOR THE CORVETTE!!!, which is BLACK!! :poke:

Now it looks like I'm going to have to conduct covert operations to make sure that can of, ugh I can hardly say it, that can of ... Turtle Wax is eliminated with extreme prejudice.

Way cool!! Just put the good wax in the green TW can and be done with it!!!....LOL But way cool that the pops wants to kick azz

FUNX650
06-12-2015, 01:03 PM
I don't have direct experience with TW wax but what makes it so bad that its looked upon as being a horrible choice?
I, for one, don't look upon Turtle Wax's Super Hard Shell
Wax as a horrible choice for a Wax.

IMO:
It just plain works...and is very economical!

Is it because its an OTC product?
Not in my opinion...
Many "OTC Waxes" are also found being sold at
many of the so-called: Boutique Wax online vendors.

Bob

Loach
06-12-2015, 04:38 PM
I don't have direct experience with TW wax but what makes it so bad that its looked upon as being a horrible choice? Is it because its an OTC product?

A few months ago I tested out the latest version of their Super Hard Shell Paste formula which advertises easier on/off. I still had the same problems as with their older version. When it dries and hazes over the paint, some spots really like to harden badly and quickly, basically requiring a spray detailer for removal. It's certainly worse if you over apply it, which is easy to do because it's a really soft "mayonnaise" textured paste wax. It's fine if you really stress to put it on super thin, the hydrophobic behavior starts out fine as well but will die off pretty quickly compared to other choices. It's hard to criticize it too much since it's offered for such a low price and you get an applicator pad as well, but there are much better options that are more user friendly over-the-counter. Their ICE Paste Wax is a much better choice. I actually enjoy the package that the latest Super Hard Shell comes in, I wish it was much more forgiving and user friendly to work with, maybe something closer to how Meguiar's Gold Class Paste wax is.

custmsprty
06-12-2015, 10:10 PM
I think I'm just going to go over and give his car a compound/polish/seal (swirls and scratches and RIDS ... Oh My!) and kind of "borrow" the TW and 'lose' it somewhere

That and better yet, have him with you and help you while you do it and he'll get a greater appreciation for the art of true detailing.

I did that with my father last Thanksgiving vacation when I visited him and he had a great time.

I only detail a half dozen cars or so a year for friends and 95% of them watch me and do the interiors, tires etc while I do the paint. I bring all the products for them to use. They learn to appreciate what a true detail is and get a great looking vehicle for a bargain.