PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Big Time, Mike: "Help"

Recon 4th 502nd
06-11-2015, 11:38 AM
Hello Mike,

New to AGO. Sorry @ the outset for the length, I know you're very busy but I wanted to give you the Complete Picture.

Recently retired from the Military and have OCD (by proxy) We re-label it as Excruciating Attention to "Detail"....it's a curse and a Blessing. Always enjoyed taking care of my vehicles (Washing and Waxing by hand) and yes, have hacked them up with Improper Washing/Drying/Waxing techniques through the years.

5 Weeks ago, I thought a Grit Guard was a mouth piece for Kawasaki Ninja H2. However, I'm a quick study and know to defer to Subject Matter Experts (a mans got to know his limitations). Over the past 5-6 weeks, I've immersed myself in the world of Detailing after purchasing this Cherry :) ....

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t97/jstunja/DSC09350%20CC_zpslaxsjshp.jpg

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t97/jstunja/DSC09363%20C_zps7ahropeo.jpg

Took it to a Professional "High End" Detailer, due to Hologram Heaven from the Dealer, and picked his Brain for 8 hours :) Thank The LORD for Honda Soft Paint! After complete paint correction, I then threw 2 Coats by hand, of Collonite #845 :dblthumb2: to protect her.

Currently have:

2 Grit Guards
3, 5 Gallon Buckets
Micro-Fibers out the Yang: The Rag Company (Eagle Edgeless Blues :dblthumb2: ) Wash Mits ect.
Gilmour Foam Gun: DP extreme, CG Maxi Suds II
Quick Release and attachments for 3/4 inch Garden Hose
Clay Bars and Lube
Quick Detailer: Meg's UQD
Spray Wax (Maintenance): Meg's Synthetic Express D-156 :xyxthumbs:
Windows: Chemical Guys: Speed Wipe (My Secret :) )
Of Course: Collie # 845, # 915 shortly.

Note: I also have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo (Daily Driver)...I can tell that's Hard Paint and has my Signatures all over it (see: Improper Techniques above) however, no "Major" Damage. It's never seen an Automatic Car Wash. Hopefully, will get to paint correcting in the future. For now, I clayed and "Collied" her and hit her every 2 weeks with D-156 <--- Really Impressed with this one.

Honda --- Garage. Only taken out on Sunny Dry Days lol.

I do know the "SHINE" comes from Paint Correction and Polishing... Not WAXES/Sealants. Resonated with me.... Spit Shining Boots back in the day!

Watched my share of the Junkman 2000 where he doesn't "Fake The Funk" rotflol

So this is my plan (taking care of the Honda...for now):

GG 6" RO.

This is where a person can get overwhelmed quite quickly with "Paint Correction Systems". :surrender:
I like the "KISS" method... keeping it simple and not chasing my tail through the Sea of Products.

Checked Megs MicroFiber System (The Professional Detailers Recommendations) but I'd like some freedom with lsp's.
Also, I don't want to be fumbling around changing backing plates (Megs short Hook & Loop ie., VELCRO...yes I watched all the videos 18 TIMES!!)

So it appears I'll be heading to "Buff and Shine".... 5" 3.5" Backing Plates with 5.5 and 4" Pads. I also noted they too have Microfiber Pads. That's GREAT...one more thing!!!

For the time being, I'll be dealing with the run-o the-mill light scratches and swirls and Polishing to Perfection...then apply lsp's by machine.

Probably, for now, stick with Megs 205/UC/UP unless you suggest otherwise. I'll figure out the Pads/Colors/Use and the Number needed...unless you consider Lake Country and their Hybrids (Whatever that animal is) better/ more user friendly. A little confused on the "Cleaning on the Go"/when to change them out--- every 2 panels: Roof, Hood) ect.

All the while PERFECTING my technique with the GG 6"...don't even have it yet lol.

Thank you for listening, any recommendations (not matter how insignificant they may seem) will be HIGHLY Appreciated...just treat it as "Be Kind to Dumb Animal Week". :props:

I basically taught myself Organic Chemistry... so what are my chances on getting my arms wrapped around this ?

:thankyousign:
John

trekkeruss
06-11-2015, 12:00 PM
Welcome to AGO.

So this is my plan (taking care of the Honda...for now):

I'm not Mike, but I will give you my opinion: since you just had the Honda professionally detailed, the best thing you can do for it is to touch it as little as possible. You only want to maintain it with the products you already have. Really, the only time you want to touch the paint immediately is when a bird craps onto the paint. You really shouldn't have to put a DA to it but once or twice a year. If you've taken care of it, i.e. not touched it too much as to induce swirls and scratches, you will only need a light polish; no compound.

Recon 4th 502nd
06-11-2015, 12:31 PM
Welcome to AGO.

I'm not Mike, but I will give you my opinion: since you just had the Honda professionally detailed, the best thing you can do for it is to touch it as little as possible. You only want to maintain it with the products you already have. Really, the only time you want to touch the paint immediately is when a bird craps onto the paint. You really shouldn't have to put a DA to it but once or twice a year. If you've taken care of it, i.e. not touched it too much as to induce swirls and scratches, you will only need a light polish; no compound.

Thanks Trek, understood. That was my plan. I have noticed some scratches the "High End" Detailer missed, Nobody's perfect.
I was going to hatch my plan (lol) probably next Spring... wanted to get a jump on some background knowledge....the 6 P's (Prior Planning Prevents P*** Poor Performance) motif. I did however want to hit her in Sept/Oct with some Colly #915 (by Machine). I said only Sunny Dry Days but with kids and other situations, she could be out in less than "Ideal" conditions. Some crazy winters here in Missouri.

Appreciate the feedback :xyxthumbs:

ps. Just an Observation: You diy detailers and Professionals are a fickle crew lol AND.... I thought the Military was Death by Acronyms...you guys are running a close second!!
You guys have a spare detailers dictionary or an Abacus?

Thanks, John

Mike Phillips
06-11-2015, 12:43 PM
Welcome to the world of detailing....

The product selection you listed sounds fine. I tend to like the PC better as I use it for machine scrubbing tires and machine wetsanding and I just feel safer using it around liquids/water.

Also, when I need a more powerful tool than the PC I simply use the Flex 3401 or PE14.

A LOT of guys like the Griot's though so go for it.

As for pads keep in mind the Meguiar's Microfiber DA Correction System was intended to move the production detailing industry away from rotary buffers to dual action polishers and to make up for the speed and correction power offered by a rotary buffer and to get away from holograms and burn throughs Meguiar's developed the microfiber pads and accompanying chemicals. The FIBERS are a type of abrasive and this plus their MF D300 plus good technique is what enables a detailer to get better results without the power of the rotary buffer.

All of the above is good and well. Just wanted to point out the historical context of microfiber pads. Everyone else that has a microfiber pad out simply jumped on the bandwagon. Nothing wrong with this either... again, just pointing out the historical roots of the microfiber pad craze.

Me? I like buffing with foam. I like how foam contours and provides cushion better than fiber over foam but again, that's just me. If I need more power instead of jumping over to microfiber pads for a DA I jump over the the Flex 3401 or the PE14 and simply get the grunt work over with fast.

The above is all just food for thought....

If you go with the Griot's DA then I'd recommend getting 5" backing plates and stick with 5.5" pads, B&S, LC, Megs, foam and microfiber.

Then stick with compounds and polishes with good names. Above all, do a TEST SPOT before buffing out an entire car. This can save you a lot of headache.

How To Do a Test Spot (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/50162-how-do-test-spot.html)

I have a zillion articles on this forum. If you have in interest in any topic, type the name of the topic and my name Mike Phillips into Google and chances are very good you'll bring up the topic.

Lots of good info in this single article...

Video: Mark your backing plate to make it easy to see pad rotation (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-car-garage-how-videos/49489-video-mark-your-backing-plate-make-easy-see-pad-rotation.html)

And like mentioned above... swirls and scratches come from the way we "touch" our cars. So be mindful of how you touch your car and everything you use that will touch your car.

I wrote the first article ever on how to use the PC, also made the first full length video ever on how to use the PC, that was all over a decade ago.

This article is a re-write of my original article somewhere over on MOL. It's now going on 6 years old and the information and techniques shared in it are just as accurate today as when I wrote it. This was the first article I wrote when I left Meguiar's and came to Autogeek. Yancy took all the pictures, I usually do my own photography work and resize my pics to 800 pixels wide. Still a good thread with lots of info... check it out...

Step-by-Step How-To use the Porter Cable 7424XP (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/19994-2008-lexus-250-pinnacle-detail.html)

Becoming a great detailer requires both head knowledge and hands-on experience, you can get the head knowledge here on AGO and the hands-on out in your garage.

Now I have to get back to work.... hot project.... almost done!

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=95697

:)

Kamakaz1961
06-11-2015, 12:50 PM
Welcome to AGO and the more you are on this site learning from the How-to's and so forth...the biggest thing you should do is get one of Mike Phillips books on how to detail. I have the book on "The Art of Detailing". I believe it is out of production and he has a newer updated version.

This will help you out ALOT!!! I have been detailing for quite some time, however, I will still go to his book for refreshers and to make sure my techniques are sound.

I think you should get his books for sure. Again, welcome to AGO

PS: Get his "Complete Guide to a Show Car Finish"...that's his update from the one I have. FYI

Paul A.
06-11-2015, 04:09 PM
Recon, welcome brother! And a huge and sincere THANK YOU for your service to me, my family and our country.

Your OCD will fit right in here. There is an abundance (and at times an overabundance) of great and very useful info here. The best thing to do, if you haven't already, is to read all of Mike's articles or books as kamikaze said.

The second best thing to do is ASK! Don't be shy.