PDA

View Full Version : 5 or 6.5 inch hybrid pads?

ymc226
06-11-2015, 10:44 AM
Moving up from the PC and am only a weekend enthusiast doing my family's 5 cars (some with curves Porsche 911 upto a large suburban).

I'm going to order the Flex 3401 either alone and use the 5.5 backing plate along with the 6.5 pads but am concerned that it would be hard to get good results on the 911 or the Cayenne. Also have a Range Rover and Defender that are boxy and could take the 6.5 pads.

The Flex also comes in a kit that includes the micro 4 3/8 inch backing plate that will accept 5 inch hybrid pads. Would you think this setup is necessary to get good results on my more curvy cars?

Also how easy is it to change backing plates on the fly going between these 2 plates?

rms64
06-11-2015, 10:46 AM
The Flex also comes in a kit that includes the micro 4 3/8 inch backing plate that will accept 5 inch hybrid pads. Would you think this setup is necessary to get good results on my more curvy cars?

Maybe not "necessary" but IMHO I don't think you'd regret it. Since the Flex is a forced-rotation machine, it's easier to have the machine "walk" on you with the bigger pads. I'd highly recommend the 5" hybrids! :xyxthumbs:

Congrats on the new Flex!

Ccrew
06-11-2015, 10:50 AM
You won't regret the smaller pads, but the interchangeable backing plates seem to have gone the way of the DoDo. You can get the smaller Lake Country plate, but it's still a wrench change to swap out. I was told when I ordered mine a few weeks ago that they'd had issues with the larger size.

Kind of neuters the "quick change" aspect of it IMHO, but for me I have the Rupes 15 so I can use the smaller pads on both machines.

trekkeruss
06-11-2015, 10:52 AM

If you're worried about a bigger pad stalling like it might with a PC, as mentioned above, the FLEX is forced rotation; it will spin regardless or the panel's shape.

Ccrew
06-11-2015, 11:01 AM
If you're worried about a bigger pad stalling like it might with a PC, as mentioned above, the FLEX is forced rotation; it will spin regardless or the panel's shape.

Yeah, but a smaller pad will conform to the curves better.

ymc226
06-11-2015, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the quick responses. I'll get both sizes and maybe use the smaller on the more curvy cars so will change plates only between cars.

emmjay
06-11-2015, 11:15 AM
i got both 6.5 and 5, Used the 6.5" on the hood and then tried the 5" on the roof. Never touched the 6.5" after that. The 5" is just a lot smoother.

Also, if i'm not mistaken, the 5" hybrids work with the LC 4" changeable plate and not the 4 3/8 from flex...

ymc226
06-11-2015, 11:31 AM
i got both 6.5 and 5, Used the 6.5" on the hood and then tried the 5" on the roof. Never touched the 6.5" after that. The 5" is just a lot smoother.

Also, if i'm not mistaken, the 5" hybrids work with the LC 4" changeable plate and not the 4 3/8 from flex...

That's an important point and not entirely obvious. I may have to change my order from the Flex micro plate to the LC 4 inch plate. Will the LC 4 plate overheat easily on the Flex?

aim4squirrels
06-11-2015, 12:48 PM
That's an important point and not entirely obvious. I may have to change my order from the Flex micro plate to the LC 4 inch plate. Will the LC 4 plate overheat easily on the Flex?

Not in my experience at all. I have the older dual plate system from LC, and I just spent the better part of 3 days buffing out my car (there well be a thread about it later, not done yet.)

I used both plates and both sizes of the hybrid pads and yes, the smaller pads run crazy smooth, but the larger pads are not uncontrollable by any means. The larger backing plate from LC is actually a bit larger than the backing side of the 6.5" hybrid pads, so the stock flex plate will probably work just fine with them, especially for the firmer orange and white pads.

I can only speculate on why the larger plate has a higher failure rate, but my guess after using it with last week is that the larger pads are more sensitive to tilting of the machine improperly (buffing at a slight angle, which the Flex doesn't like as much) and this creates a bit more force on the mounting point. That combined with heat (just try touching that bolt after a couple hours of buffing to swap plates and you'll know what I mean) takes it's toll on the backing plate mounting section.

It's also possible the two spacer washers you're supposed to use between the adapter plate and the swappable plate allows a bit too much flex of the larger swappable plate, but without then you'd likely grenade the plate far more quickly as it won't have any space to give when bearing down on it at any angle, which despite everyone's best intentions is bound to happen. That larger plate has to have some give, and room to more.

The other possibility: operator error in not installing the spacer washers.

emmjay
06-11-2015, 12:54 PM
It was just the bigger plate in the system which had the problems, not the smaller 4" plate.

Also, last I checked, the bigger plate is no longer available in the kit, all you get is the smaller 4" plate - see below. Price is also lower now. I paid close to $50 for the old set of two plates. As I have no need for the massive plate, its still in the plastic in the back of the cupboard.

The stock flex backing plate and this 4" plate should be all that you need (IMO).

FLEX XC3401 Changeable Backing Plate System (http://www.autogeek.net/flex-xc3401-backing-plates.html)

Kamakaz1961
06-11-2015, 12:57 PM

I have the LC 4" and their Big plate before they stopped selling them. You will have no issue with the LC Backing Plate system. They are top notch quality. As for the Lake Country larger backing plate....I have not used it or have no intentions of using it. I do not need 7.5" Pads. The 6.5" and 5" Hybrid pads is all you will ever need for that machine.

You have an awesome machine in the Flex.

As for you PC you can delegate that with a smaller pad for the small or areas that you think the Flex is too big. I did with my PC7424XP. I have set it up with the 3-4" Pads for correcting and applying sealant/waxes. This way you cover all areas of correcting.

whavens
06-11-2015, 01:44 PM
The first detail I did with my Flex was a 2012 VW Bug. I did the whole thing with the 6.5 inch pads and didn't have any problems. That being said, I didn't have any choice as the car was already scheduled and my interchangeable BP was on back order.

You won't stall out the Flex if you have to tilt it a little or hit a ridge on any body panel. I love my GG 6", but haven't used it since I got the Flex.

Walter

ymc226
06-11-2015, 02:33 PM
As for you PC you can delegate that with a smaller pad for the small or areas that you think the Flex is too big. I did with my PC7424XP. I have set it up with the 3-4" Pads for correcting and applying sealant/waxes. This way you cover all areas of correcting.

Thanks, I did buy the GG 3" DA but will take the 3" backing plate off that and put it on my PC XP and use that as my DA for hard to reach areas. Only $ wasted is on the GC 3"DA and some 5.5" LC flat pads which I can use as back up (with the 5" LC plate on the Flex). Not too bad for a newbie. :laughing::laughing:

BookemDano
06-11-2015, 03:03 PM
I have a 3401 with the 6.5" hybrid pads. I'd like to try out the 5" hybrid pads, but the smaller backing plate information is confusing. There is the FLEX XC3401 Changeable Backing Plate System (http://www.autogeek.net/flex-xc3401-backing-plates.html) and the FLEX XC3401 Mini 4 3/8 Backing Plate, FLEX (http://www.autogeek.net/flex-xc3401-mini-backing-plate.html).

However if you can only use 4" backing plates on the backing plate system, it looks like there are disadvantages (weight, complexity) and no advantages versus the 4-3/8" mini-backing plate. Are there any advantages I'm missing?

And... Will the 4-3/8" mini-backing plate work with the 5" hybrid pads without overlapping the black mounting area?

Thanks,

Dan.

jsgntulok
06-11-2015, 07:43 PM

This was my experience also. The 6.5" pads were the devil to control. They wore me out. Switched to the 5" pads and haven't looked back. I use 3" pads on my PC for narrow areas. In my opinion, a good combination.