PDA

View Full Version : Sealant After Clay Lube?

Radiant
06-10-2015, 02:42 AM
Hi all!

I'm using Pinnacle Speed Clay Lube with my clay. Do I need to remove the lube with an IPA wipe down or can I go from lube to sealant? I'm not polishing and I want to seal with Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0. Could the sealant not bond if there is clay lube residue? Thanks.

Don M
06-10-2015, 05:37 AM
Some people DO wash their cars after claying to remove any residue from the clay or loosened contaminates, but I've never heard anyone saying you HAD to do it.

silverfox
06-10-2015, 05:58 AM
One cool trick is to use a foam gun to clay the paint using a good lubricating soap as the clay lube. That way, your going to rinse the soap off anyway. It works very well. I do a conventional 2B wash first, then rinse off. Then hit it again with the foam gun/soap/clay or clay substitute. Rinse off. Done with a super clean surface to polish or apply your LSP.

Ccrew
06-10-2015, 06:35 AM
Personally I'd use a mild polish afterwards and before sealing as clay can induce micro marring but it's your vehicle to do what you want.

FUNX650
06-10-2015, 09:59 AM
:welcome: ...to AGO.

Even though you're not going to at least lightly polish
after claying (Which, BTW, I always do)...

Once you are finished claying:
Just wipe away the lubricant with a paint-safe microfiber towel. The paint will then be, IMO:
Clean, and smooth...ready, willing, and waiting to have
the Wolfgang Sealant applied.

Bob

Radiant
06-10-2015, 05:54 PM
I would do the polishing but I'm short on time and plan on driving out of town. When I washed the car, I noticed that the protection had diminished. I wanted to put some protection back so the nasty bugs and road debris won't stick.

I definitely want to polish in the future though. I'm such a slow poke when detailing. Just washing the car takes me like 3 or 4 hours...

Anyway, Thanks everyone for your input :)