PDA

View Full Version : Would you do this to your car (steam clean)?

SR99
06-09-2015, 08:53 PM
I haven't checked in to the forum much lately, so maybe this has already been discussed to death.

At this link is a video for a 145 psi "Vapor Rino" steam cleaner (in the video, just water/steam, no chemicals are used. Skip ahead to the 2 minute point): https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=262&v=ha4XjXPzh18

Ignoring the $2600 price tag for the moment, the touchless aspect is appealing and appears to be pretty effective even with a fairly dirty vehicle, but I'm not so sure about the very high temperatures and the long-term impact on paint and various painted plastic car parts.

Does anyone have this or similar unit?

How important is the 145 psi, or is it just as effective using a lower priced 120 psi unit or still lower priced 60-80 psi unit?

Is there some other specification like a steam flow rate that needs to be considered as well?

This is the first I've seen of a steam cleaner used for exterior car washing, and anticipating future water restrictions, it might be one of the few ways to keep your car clean.

What are your thoughts?

Ccrew
06-09-2015, 09:42 PM
My thought is that my tap water is so crappy that I have to use distilled water in my Keurig for coffee, so I's destroy that unit in a couple weeks :-(

mallic
11-10-2015, 06:25 AM
I haven't checked in to the forum much lately, so maybe this has already been discussed to death.

At this link is a video for a 145 psi "Vapor Rino" steam cleaner (in the video, just water/steam, no chemicals are used. Skip ahead to the 2 minute point): https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=262&v=ha4XjXPzh18

Ignoring the $2600 price tag for the moment, the touchless aspect is appealing and appears to be pretty effective even with a fairly dirty vehicle, but I'm not so sure about the very high temperatures and the long-term impact on paint and various painted plastic car parts.

Does anyone have this or similar unit?

How important is the 145 psi, or is it just as effective using a lower priced 120 psi unit or still lower priced 60-80 psi unit?

Is there some other specification like a steam flow rate that needs to be considered as well?

This is the first I've seen of a steam cleaner used for exterior car washing, and anticipating future water restrictions, it might be one of the few ways to keep your car clean.

What are your thoughts?

Extremely important question but went unnoticed by all forum members...Experts where are you come and share your experience about how important is steam PSI for interior jobs???????

GSKR
11-10-2015, 07:12 AM
Waste of time and money and backbreaking labor along with 900 towels to wash every night.

kevincwelch
11-10-2015, 08:46 AM
Could have sprayed the entire car down with a pressure washer and done a 2BW in about the same amount of time he did 1 panel.

I think steam is good for hard to reach places -- hinges, engine, etc.

FUNX650
11-10-2015, 12:21 PM
No.

{@OP, SR99: Sorry for the belated response.}

Bob

215Detailing
11-10-2015, 05:31 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwj5J_l_cOg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bXmxRjjAw8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOhf5kgS3WY

GSKR
11-10-2015, 06:06 PM
Maybe good for cleaning mats and carpets without residual moisture,but for 2600.00 I will pass.maybe a high volume car wash with interior express packages this machine would benefit.

Dan Tran
11-10-2015, 06:24 PM
My answer is no. Based on recent experiment to my own car, it was made clear why you need suds from wash liquid. Helps lift the dirt. Also, if washed improperly, can swirl and mar the paint. Fortunately, I can fix my mistakes😀

Also if you do it make sure you wax the car (quick wax or traditional) I felt some wax was stripped.

Agree or disagree, but this is my opinion.

DasBurninator
11-10-2015, 06:32 PM
That looks like it takes way too long and is way too cumbersome for the results.

vanev
11-10-2015, 06:33 PM
Steam cleaning, at any PSI and tank capacity, is not a magical solution.
It is nice to have and it does a great job.
If money was no object, I myself would be willing to to purchase this machine as well as as the more expensive Optima's for thousands more.

The steam clean approach does not automatically make things a lot faster.
In some respects, it may simply add another step to the entire process.
I do like steam cleaners and recommend them.
I think it is a nice touch and can offer solutions that other products and techniques cannot.

My suggestion would be to go with a reliable, more cost effective heavy duty steam cleaner.
McCulloch 1275, 1375, and 1385 are great options.
Matter of fact, consider purchasing two of the same model for extra power and pressure when needed.
Use them in tandem, or separately.
One for interior and one for exterior, or for no lag time if one is not enough to complete a vehicle.

GSKR
11-10-2015, 07:36 PM
My answer is no. Based on recent experiment to my own car, it was made clear why you need suds from wash liquid. Helps lift the dirt. Also, if washed improperly, can swirl and mar the paint. Fortunately, I can fix my mistakes😀

Also if you do it make sure you wax the car (quick wax or traditional) I felt some wax was stripped.

Agree or disagree, but this is my opinion.

:iagree: didn't even factor that in ,good call.

215Detailing
11-11-2015, 02:23 PM
When the PORTER CABLE 7336 (now 7424 XP) AKA DA came out I heard similar responses oh that can't correct oh it will take more time, more effort, more money and so on and look where we are now FLEX - RUPES - GRIOTS - and so on.
not to mention the U.S is behind as far as eco friendly goes, look at waterless wash and rinseless they have been across the water and working for years and we are now just catching on but still have not caught up or exceeded beyond, and oh well forget just my .02 cents (rant) lol

Paul A.
11-11-2015, 02:39 PM
Having watched that marketing video there are just too many things i don't like about his technique. As far as time consumed? I'll wash a vehicle faster and with no scratches!

Steam has garnered much more attention in the detail community and has its benefits in a lot of areas. Exterior paint, for me, is the sacred, hallowed ground and for me gets the least destructive and most tender approach...especially with harsh processes and friction passes.

Then again, it took me a good 4-5 years to try ONR!