PDA

View Full Version : Newbie: technique and towel to apply interior Detailer?

bobbydigital
06-09-2015, 02:52 AM
I'm relatively new to detailing and have a straightforward question for you pros:

What towel/applicator so you use for your interior Detailer products?

I'm using an edge less MF towel and using the technique of spraying on the towel (vs on the surface I'm cleaning). Makes sense to not saturate a given area too much.

However, I'm finding that my towel absorbs a ton of cleaning product (I'm using Adam's total interior Detailer) and very little gets on the surface I'm cleaning.

Am I just being too stingy and need to saturate the towel more? Should I use a damp towel?

Educate me :)

DogRescuer
06-09-2015, 04:46 AM
Hi, I use a mf applicator to apply all my dressings except tires and do a final wipe with a towel

Don M
06-09-2015, 06:00 AM
I would spray it on the surface(s) you want to treat. If you just spray the towel, the towel will try to remove the detailer instead of letting it apply to the surface. I was having the same problem, I would just spray the towel with more and more dressing but I wasn't really getting any on the dashboard. Now I just spray the dressing directly where I want it and then buff with a clean cloth.

Now if you're just DUSTING the interior and not trying to reapply the dressing, spraying the towel is perfectly OK since you're trying to attract the dust & dirt TO the towel.

tw33k2514
06-09-2015, 06:58 AM
I would spray it on the surface(s) you want to treat. If you just spray the towel, the towel will try to remove the detailer instead of letting it apply to the surface. I was having the same problem, I would just spray the towel with more and more dressing but I wasn't really getting any on the dashboard. Now I just spray the dressing directly where I want it and then buff with a clean cloth.

Now if you're just DUSTING the interior and not trying to reapply the dressing, spraying the towel is perfectly OK since you're trying to attract the dust & dirt TO the towel.

Agree.

For years I only sprayed it on the towel. Got tired of wasting product 1 day and just started spraying it on the surface.

Just make sure you clean the windows after you do it this way....

Don M
06-09-2015, 07:03 AM
Agree.

Just make sure you clean the windows after you do it this way....

Or use a block, such as a piece of cardboard set down into the edge between the glass and the dash to prevent overspray from getting on the window. That way you can clean the glass first, then apply the dressing without messing up the glass and avoid messing up the coating of dressing by getting glass cleaner on it.

PA DETAILER
06-09-2015, 07:20 AM
I use these with the DP INTERIOR CLEANER & PROTECTOR

Tire & Trim Dressing Applicators, tire swipe, tire sponge (http://www.autogeek.net/tire-trim-applicators.html)

Don M
06-09-2015, 07:23 AM

Tire & Trim Dressing Applicators, tire swipe, tire sponge (http://www.autogeek.net/tire-trim-applicators.html)

Foam applicators like this are also good because the will release the product onto the surface and not try to suck it all up into the material like a cloth or MF will.

CDot
06-09-2015, 07:43 AM
If it's an interior detailer/cleaner, then I use my Sam's yellow towels--not too thick.

When I use dressings like the above product, I apply with a MF round applicator--foam would work well too.