PDA

View Full Version : Paint Correction Questions

aheibul
06-08-2015, 09:26 PM
Guys. Need some direction on my paint correction.

GG6 with orange cg hex logic pad. Meguiars compound. Running at 6.

I can take 80% of oxidation out of the paint on my wife's bmw and 75% of surface scratches out of my work truck.

If I hit the same area over again I don't take anymore out.

Would I be better off adding a yellow pad or a different compound?

Also, on my bmw I use conpound first then switch to a white hex logic with meguiars Polish. For the life of me I cannot tell the difference when I polish it. I'm not getting any swirl marks when I use compound so maybe that explains it.

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J Cole
06-08-2015, 09:41 PM
Guys. Need some direction on my paint correction.

GG6 with orange cg hex logic pad. Meguiars compound. Running at 6.

I can take 80% of oxidation out of the paint on my wife's bmw and 75% of surface scratches out of my work truck.

If I hit the same area over again I don't take anymore out.

Would I be better off adding a yellow pad or a different compound?

Also, on my bmw I use conpound first then switch to a white hex logic with meguiars Polish. For the life of me I cannot tell the difference when I polish it. I'm not getting any swirl marks when I use compound so maybe that explains it.

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

What color is the BMW? If it's white it is difficult to see any marring left behind by the compounding step.

How many passes are you making over one area - and how large of an area are you doing at one time?

aheibul
06-08-2015, 10:02 PM
Space grey 535i.

I will do a 20x20ish square making 4-6 section passes at as slow speed.

conquistador
06-08-2015, 10:06 PM
Step up to a Microfiber pad

Mantilgh
06-08-2015, 10:11 PM
Those percentages sound like pretty good target numbers for what you are working on. Possibly a frequently used vehicle and a work truck.

You might not want to go chasing better results without a paint gauge.

Or proceed carefully.

Detail-Impressions
06-09-2015, 09:02 PM
If it was me, I fill a spray bottle with water and spritz the surface when the compound quits cutting. Check the result and see it there is improvement.