PDA

View Full Version : Polishers and Such

Pages : [1] 2

Jaretr1
06-08-2015, 04:46 PM
I gotta vent a little. Now that Griots has entered the long throw polisher game, there are more choices than ever before. When I first started at this 5 years ago or so, there were a handful. Having choices is a great thing!

However, many of the choices are simply copies of what was already innovated by someone else. And copies made in China. Its not that Chinese products cannot be as high quality as any other country, its just my personal preference when at all possible not to buy Chinese made products. Even if the Griots polisher is better than the Rupes, and had it been available when I purchased my Rupes, I still would have paid the small premium for the original, made in Italy.

I also purchased my PC over the other options at the time because it was NOT made in China ( I dont know about now since Porter Cable has changed hands since I bought mine).

Griots is a great company. Their reputation for customer service is second to none. But I wont be adding their polisher to my arsenal.

trekkeruss
06-08-2015, 05:11 PM
I'm curious to know why so many feel "made in China" is worse than "made in Italy," or anywhere else for that matter. As an American of Chinese descent (and I am _very_ American ... I am third generation and I do not even speak Chinese), I sense a lot of resentment towards China. Maybe it is an us (or US) vs. them thing. They're seemingly on the way up, and we are seemingly on the way down, so "we" have to protect ourselves. Mind you, I would love to buy a U.S.A, made product ... I want to support my country too. But I would not have any reservation about a Chinese produced machine, as long as it was engineered and built to quality standards.

Anyway, if the BOSS system was available when I was thinking about buying my first polisher (I went with the Rupes system), I might have swung the other way. It looks like a fabulous system.

silverfox
06-08-2015, 05:26 PM
So these folks don't own any electronic devices whatsoever? Enough of the hypocrisy.

Jaretr1
06-08-2015, 05:37 PM
People in Italy get to vote. People in China do not. Chinese can make extremely high quality products, they can also make absolute garbage. Just my personal preference. I cannot always avoid purchasing Chinese made goods, but when I can I do. I prefer to purchase US made goods as well, but that is not always possible.

I do not resent China, it is our government and corporations that outsourced manufacturing there. If there is any "resentment" it is to the companies that manufacture there.

Griots could have manufactured this product anywhere they wanted to. Higher profit with lower manufacturing cost led them to China.

And lastly, the Chinese do not innovate, they copy. Look no further than their homegrown automotive brands.

The Griots polisher, better or worse than the Rupes is theft of concept in my opinion. Griots did not come up with a new idea, they took an existing one, perhaps made it better, outsourced the manufacturing to China and everyone is going crazy about it. Couldnt they have at least did maybe a 16 and 22? At least then they could claim innovation.

custmsprty
06-08-2015, 05:48 PM
I'm curious to know why so many feel "made in China" is worse than "made in Italy," or anywhere else for that matter. As an American of Chinese descent (and I am _very_ American ... I am third generation and I do not even speak Chinese), I sense a lot of resentment towards China. Maybe it is an us (or US) vs. them thing. They're seemingly on the way up, and we are seemingly on the way down, so "we" have to protect ourselves. Mind you, I would love to buy a U.S.A, made product ... I want to support my country too. But I would not have any reservation about a Chinese produced machine, as long as it was engineered and built to quality standards.

Anyway, if the BOSS system was available when I was thinking about buying my first polisher (I went with the Rupes system), I might have swung the other way. It looks like a fabulous system.

For me it's the fact that they are a communist government, have a horrible human rights record etc. It's the Chinese government I have an issue with, not's it's people. The Chinese government doesn't honor global patents, trademarks etc. They hack our computer systems, steal our technology, the list goes on and on. All the while their citizens endure the horrible working conditions and terrible human rights. That pretty well sums up I why I try not to buy Chinese made products whenever possible.

Jaretr1
06-08-2015, 05:55 PM
For me it's the fact that they are a communist government, have a horrible human rights record etc. It's the Chinese government I have an issue with, not's it's people. The Chinese government doesn't honor global patents, trademarks etc. They hack our computer systems, steal our technology, the list goes on and on. All the while their citizens endure the horrible working conditions and terrible human rights. That pretty well sums I why I try not to buy Chinese made products whenever possible.

Well me to for all those reasons as well. I was just trying to be a little less...well..yeah!

eaglefan
06-08-2015, 06:34 PM
well me to for all those reasons as well. I was just trying to be a little less...well..yeah!

people in italy get to vote. People in china do not. Chinese can make extremely high quality products, they can also make absolute garbage. Just my personal preference. I cannot always avoid purchasing chinese made goods, but when i can i do. I prefer to purchase us made goods as well, but that is not always possible.

I do not resent china, it is our government and corporations that outsourced manufacturing there. If there is any "resentment" it is to the companies that manufacture there.

Griots could have manufactured this product anywhere they wanted to. Higher profit with lower manufacturing cost led them to china.

And lastly, the chinese do not innovate, they copy. Look no further than their homegrown automotive brands.

The griots polisher, better or worse than the rupes is theft of concept in my opinion. Griots did not come up with a new idea, they took an existing one, perhaps made it better, outsourced the manufacturing to china and everyone is going crazy about it. Couldnt they have at least did maybe a 16 and 22? At least then they could claim innovation.

i agree 100% with you!

FUNX650
06-08-2015, 06:55 PM
Let's see...
(Now what were those choices again?)

"The New Roman Empire"...
vs.
"The Hordes From the North"...
vs.
(The original signees of):"The Anti-Comintern Pact"?

Yea..Some choices!

Bob

Jaretr1
06-09-2015, 12:17 PM
Bob,

I love many of your posts and responses, but sometimes I have absolutely no idea what you are saying.

???

FUNX650
06-09-2015, 12:43 PM
Bob,

I love many of your posts and responses, but sometimes I have absolutely no idea what you are saying.

???
Sorry. I'll try to clarify.

I was comparing the choices of the Countries that now manufacture many of the detailing industry's polishers,
with what some have alleged are these Countries' Biblical
"end-time" names.

Let's see...
(Now what were those choices again?)

"The New Roman Empire"...Italy
vs.
"The Hordes From the North"...China
vs.
(The original signees of):"The Anti-Comintern Pact"?
Germany and Japan

Yea..Some choices!

The U.S. is now "sucking hind teet".

Bob

mcate
06-09-2015, 12:57 PM
I just want the best polisher for my $$.

Zubair
06-09-2015, 01:09 PM
They need to make a 21mm long throw 900w with 6800 opm instead of 4200.

trekkeruss
06-09-2015, 01:15 PM
They need to make a 21mm long throw 900w with 6800 opm instead of 4200.

Why?

Zubair
06-09-2015, 01:22 PM
Why?

Higher speed faster and more cut?

trekkeruss
06-09-2015, 01:35 PM
But the point of the 21mm throw is for it to provide faster cut, instead of increasing opm. A faster opm might only make the pad disintegrate.