PDA

View Full Version : QD, drying aid, etc... for 476s?

Souldetailer
06-07-2015, 05:32 PM
Just waxed my "Lacey" with Colli 476s. Will put a second coat on tomorrow. Suggestions for something that plays nice w/476 or has worked nicely for you. I'm rather fond of CG's V7, one of their finer products I believe. What have you all used after a weekly bath? Thanks.

Peace,

Darrin

Loach
06-07-2015, 06:16 PM
Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax (D156) is playing really nicely with more hydrophobic products for me. I've tested it recently on top of ICE Paste Wax and Collinite 845, both of which are very hydrophobic by themselves, and UQW does not seem to reduce that hydrophobic behavior in the short term on either of them.

davidc
06-07-2015, 06:33 PM
So far I have used FK 425, DG 932 both as a rinseless and QD and DG Fast Clean and Shine. I tried some original ONR I have had a few years mixed as a QD and I do not think it liked that one bit, felt like sand paper both on and off.

Dave

PA DETAILER
06-07-2015, 06:35 PM
poorboys spray & gloss.

Souldetailer
06-07-2015, 06:56 PM
Come to think...would you feel the need to use a QD or drying aid for 476? Would it mute the hydrophobic properties of the wax?
Sure the QD would wear off and the 476 would still be there, but why, in the first place. Hhhmmmmm.... :buffing:

Peace,

Darrin

davidc
06-07-2015, 08:03 PM
Come to think...would you feel the need to use a QD or drying aid for 476? Would it mute the hydrophobic properties of the wax?
Sure the QD would wear off and the 476 would still be there, but why, in the first place. Hhhmmmmm.... :buffing:

Peace,

Darrin

When I first applied collinite 476S and 885 I emailed Collinite asking if DG 932 Rinseless would in any way harm those two waxes as I knew I would have to do something before dragging out the bucket and hose. Collinite's response was that no harm will occur. It just rained here for two days and the beading was as good as the day the wax was applied. So far so good.

Dave

CDot
06-08-2015, 07:41 AM
Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax (D156) is playing really nicely with more hydrophobic products for me.

poorboys spray & gloss.

I find UQW/D156 and Poorboys Spray & Wipe work perfectly with Colli waxes (along with Megs UQD, Mothers Showtime, and Lucas Slick Mist). In fact, I haven't found anything that doesn't work well with the Colli waxes--except for V7.

Souldetailer
06-08-2015, 07:48 AM
I find UQW/D156 and Poorboys Spray & Wipe work perfectly with Colli waxes (along with Megs UQD, Mothers Showtime, and Lucas Slick Mist). In fact, I haven't found anything that doesn't work well with the Colli waxes--except for V7.

Uh Oh, guess the new V7 I just ordered goes on the wife's car. :buffing: What's the problem with V7 and Colli? Thanks for the heads up.

Peace,

Darrin

CDot
06-08-2015, 01:16 PM
What's the problem with V7 and Colli?

Seems like there is something in V7 that mutes beading on Colli (and some other) LSP's. It's been discussed at length in the past on AG, but there isn't a definitive answer for what it is exactly. You're welcome to try it on your vehicle and test the reaction. If you get a newer batch of V7 it might react differently. My experience was from initial application in 2013.

DogRescuer
06-08-2015, 04:10 PM
Can someone tell me what hydrophobic means??

Kamakaz1961
06-08-2015, 04:12 PM

Bob FUNX650...can you please chime in? Bob is our AGO dictionary....a cool one at that!! :props:

Dmb5450
06-08-2015, 06:46 PM

I am not Bob, not even close to that awesome. But hydrophobic means water fearing, water will not mix with another substance/surface. The opposite would be hydrophilic, or water loving. The water would mix well with another substance/surface. Wax is hydrophobic, water beads and does not mix well because it is "fearing water." Hopefully Bob can add a nice comment to better the answer to your question.

FUNX650
06-08-2015, 08:29 PM
I am not Bob, not even close to that awesome. But hydrophobic means water fearing, water will not mix with another substance/surface. The opposite would be hydrophilic, or water loving. The water would mix well with another substance/surface. Wax is hydrophobic, water beads and does not mix well because it is "fearing water." Hopefully Bob can add a nice comment to better the answer to your question.
^^^
IMO: this is an excellent description of hydrophobic!

(And my thanks to both you and...

Bob FUNX650...can you please chime in? Bob is our AGO dictionary....a cool one at that!! :props:
...for your kind words)

I always like to include a picture whenever describing,
or defining Hydrophobic/Hydrophobicity. Like this one:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/image1376.jpg (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/95658)

•This pictures shows that to be hydrophobic...
the water bead (depicted here as being blue):

-has a high contact angle (usually more than 90 degrees.)
-has in and of itself....a low amount of surface area...of which it can utilize to adhere/attach itself to another surface...(Surface Tension)
-therefore: it has little ability to "wet" the surface it's sitting on.

Also:
•Hydrophobicity can also be described as a:
polar vs. non-polar phenomenon.

-Water is a polar molecule---carries an electrical charge (negative) between its oxygen atoms.
-Therefore, any materials with a charge, be it negative or positive, will be able to interact (have an affinity) with water molecules...in other words: hydrophilic, the opposite of hydrophobic.

•So essentially:
-Hydrophobic molecules are molecules that do not have an electrical charge...they are non-polar.
-And by lacking a charge, they can not have any charge-to-charge interactions with water.
-Thus they are termed as being "afraid of water": Hydrophobic!!

Bob

DogRescuer
06-09-2015, 05:00 AM

Thanks all.
So if i dilute an apc say 4:1 that apc is hydrophilic.
I like learning.